• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO and constipation

Hi guys, I am new to the forum, although that is not to say that it hasn't provided me with a huge wealth of support, information and help over recent time. For which I am very grateful!

I was recently seen by an NHS regarding my GI difficulties and significant weight loss, 13 kg in 12 months. No small amount considering I was already a pretty skinny male as it was.

I suffer from an increasing number of food intolerances. Severe bloating and gas, especially following consumption of certain foods. Chronic constipation these past 6 months, whereas it was once reoccurring diarrhoea. I do believe this could be attributed to enforced diet change and consuming less fibre.

I am of the opinion that bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine is certainly playing a large part in my issues. I was able to have a Genova 3 day stool test a few months ago. There were a few abnormalities, notably extremely high levels of fecal fat, as well as a few other markers suggesting malabsorption.

I discussed SIBO with the NHS gastro consultant I recently visited. He scoffed at the proposition, as my problems are predominantly that of constipation, then SIBO was out of the question he said. I question his thinking here, having read about methane predominant overgrowth.

Any opinions on this? Thank you!

Timaca

Hi domT~ One thing that *might* help you is Manuka Honey. Some people report on Amazon that it has been helpful for their various GI issues. I just wrote a blog post on it that you can find here. It will give you various brands of Manuka Honey that I have tried and you can more easily check out what people have to say about it on Amazon.

Wishing you all the best,

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Low stomach acid can cause all sorts of downstream negative effects (including, according to this article, SIBO). Have you ever tried Betaine HCL (with Pepsin) with meals that contain protein?

Some things that may help with motility and contstipation:
1) Ground flax seed - 2 tablespoons mixed into liquid to hydrate the flax (or mix the flax into food and make sure you drink enough water during the day.) Flax goes rancid quickly so use whole flax seeds, store in the fridge, and then grind yourself just before using.

2) Magnesium - cured my constipation. I discovered that my dairy intake was throwing off the calcium/magnesium balance in my body. People with CFS/ME are often low in magnesium as well.

3) Iberogast - a commecial herbal mixture that has been used for many years for intestinal problems. Beware that it reduces stomach acid so might cause more problems if your stomach acid is already low.

ljimbo423

I question his thinking here, having read about methane predominant overgrowth.

I have heard a lot about methane predominant SIBO, they even have breath tests to see if you have methane predominant SIBO or hydrogen predominant. SIBO will not show up in any type of stool tests.

Dr. Allison Siebecker, is someone that specializes in treating SIBO. There is a wealth of info at her website, including different causes, treatments, diet etc. Here is a link

Rooney

I've had the Genova stool test and took it to a gastro Dr. who did a methane breath test - positive for SIBO. I felt sure it would be positive as I had your symptoms and a bad mix of bacteria on the Genova. I had excess fecal fat on my G. report, too.

Two of my doctors suggested the the low FODMAP diet and it is what works best for me. http://www.ibsdiets.org/fodmap-diet/fodmap-food-list/ I ate rolled oatmeal or eggs most mornings. I substituted buckwheat flour when baking.

I did try the Specific Carbohydrate Diet without much success. I had two rounds of Xifaxan, but still have to go back to the FODMAP plan somewhat. I do eat beans regularly now without a problem. I bet I still have SIBO.

Also, I was one of those on this forum who became worse when trying adding a bit of "resistant starch" (see thread on this). That just made everything worse, so not all fiber, like psyllium, helps constipation.

sam.d

Hey @domT I'm suffering from the same intestinal issues.
Have you since found a solution for your SIBO and constipation?
I'm about to try Betain HCl + pepsin, which I have high hopes for. Waiting for my supplement order to arrive!

bertiedog

Hey @domT I'm suffering from the same intestinal issues.
Have you since found a solution for your SIBO and constipation?

Just to confirm that as @Jimbo39 said in his above post this is the most knowledgeable person regarding SIBO. I think there might be You Tube videos too explaining it all.

One other thing is that probably certain probiotics can help but that can be individual, what suits one might not suit another person. I am copying @Jimbo39 post for you and anyone else concerned with this horrible issue which I have also suffered with for years. I think I fit the explanation as to how it can start as I had a severe bout of Campylobacter poisoning in 1998 and went into full blown ME/CFS by 2000 but I did have adrenal/thyroid issues prior to all this which probably weakened my body.

"Dr. Allison Siebecker, is someone that specializes in treating SIBO. There is a wealth of info at her website, including different causes, treatments, diet etc. Here is a link"

Finally I have found that trial and error is also a big part of the picture, e.g. flaxseed seem to irritate my bowel whereas psyllium, chia seeds, acacia fibre I am fine with.

Pam

Journeyman

I am of the opinion that bacterial overgrowth of the small intestine is certainly playing a large part in my issues. I was able to have a Genova 3 day stool test a few months ago. There were a few abnormalities, notably extremely high levels of fecal fat, as well as a few other markers suggesting malabsorption.

I discussed SIBO with the NHS gastro consultant I recently visited. He scoffed at the proposition, as my problems are predominantly that of constipation, then SIBO was out of the question he said. I question his thinking here, having read about methane predominant overgrowth.

Any opinions on this? Thank you!

Your description of the gasto paints the picture of someone who knows little about SIBO and is probably of the traditional mindset that SIBO/IBS is a yuppie syndrome based on pseudoscience. You might do well to see someone else...

Now in terms of your stool test. I'm no expert but fecal fat has got to be a sure fire sign of fat malabsorption secondary to digestive enzyme shortages. I'd recommend https://au.iherb.com/pr/Now-Foods-Super-Enzymes-180-Capsules/857 coupled with the Betaine HCL recommended here by others: https://au.iherb.com/pr/now-foods-b...VlQsrCh1vDQtgEAAYASAAEgKUGPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just by the way I revisited the old Live Right For Your Type book recently and read that dietary lectins can inactivate certain enzymes so that might be an avenue for further investigation (the blood type diet basically)... I suspect it might explain a lot of confounds that people encounter when following SIBO diets and the like but still experiencing problems...

Regards

Journeyman