• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A structurally distinct TGF-β mimic from an intestinal helminth parasite potently induces regulatory

jaybee00

A structurally distinct TGF-β mimic from an intestinal helminth parasite potently induces regulatory T cells

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-017-01886-6

Hmm..A lot of helminth papers now

"The ability of Hp-TGM to delay allograft rejection, and to inhibit all three major subsets of effector CD4+ T cells in vivo, also portends well for a therapeutic application of this new molecule. Recombinant Hp-TGM offers several advantages including scalable production, a definable mechanism of action and the opportunity for modification to reduce immunogenicity and optimise pharmacokinetic characteristics for pharmacological use. Furthermore, combinations of Hp-TGM with currently available immunomodulatory agents may further enrich future therapeutic strategies in which the directed manipulation of the different T cell subsets will offer resolution of inflammatory conditions of diverse aetiologies."

Would anyone want to speculate whether this induction of regulatory T-cells by the TGF mimic would be good for people with CFS? Thanks.

Ema

I wonder if the standard lab test for TGF-b1 also picks up the mimics?

I've done HDC for almost two years and my TGF-b1 went from 6600 to almost 15000. I don't think it's increased due to illness as I'm doing much better. The mimic would make sense...

Ema

What is HDC?
From http://biomerestoration.com/hdc/

HDC Therapy
Biome Restoration

HDC (Hymenolepis diminuta cysticercoids) is the larval stage of a small helminth(round worm). It grows in grain beetles, like mealy worm beetles, which were commonly in our food supply up until about 100 years ago.(biome restoration)

This therapy is a relatively novel concept of ingesting larval worms to restore our missing macrobiomes. At the recent TACA(Talk About Curing Autism) conference, Dr. Sidney Baker a renowned autism doctor shed light on this topic.

He has been using this product on his clients for a few years now and has found remarkable improvements in the immune system especially of individuals with Autism and Alopecia. He has even started to grow and supply the organism.

Dr. Baker is feels that the epidemics that are occurring today involve “loss of immune tolerance”. What is immune tolerance, our bodies ability to screen and tolerate itself and benign things in the environment(Peanuts, pollen, milk, eggs etc).

Our ancestors were once colonized by a different gut microbiome and macrobiome. The macrobiome includes larger organisms like parasites. HDC is an organism in the macrobiome, although it is not considered a parasite, because it does no harm to its host.

The hygeine hypothesis states that our immune systems are less adept at handling our current environment, because we are not exposed to a diversity of bacteria and parasites. Without this exposure autoimmunity, allergy and other chronic medical conditions can occur.

The theory behind this is fascinating, and I feel that there is a role for this in prevention and treatment of autoimmunity and other conditions that revolve around loss of bacterial diversity in the gut.