• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Traumatic brain injury causes intestinal damage, study shows

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@antares4141,

Thanks for this article. No surprise here! Just curious, is this something you might have experienced, or are you just pointing out the interconnection?

By the way, I remember hearing about a study approx 20 years ago that about 60% or more of ME/CFS patients had experienced significant brain trauma beforehand.

My wife, @PWR (Peace without Rest), was nearly killed in a horse-riding accident at 10 yrs old. The horse even stepped on her head, but in God's mercy, did not crush the skull. Her doctors told her to expect possible seizures as she went through life. She had some trouble with that, but much more in the immune and chemical sensitivity area. The story is on my profile page.

RWP (Rest without Peace)

antares4141

@antares4141,

Thanks for this article. No surprise here! Just curious, is this something you might have experienced, or are you just pointing out the interconnection?

Your welcome! I suspect neurological damage from wholesale exposure to granular pesticides I was exposed to occupationally when I owned a lawn maintenance business.

I did fall on a tarazzo floor when I was maybe 14 or 15. My buddy put me in the sleeper. We watched a lot of wrestling back in the mid 70's. And to his surprise it actually worked. He let me go and I fell flat on my forhead. Had a bump on my head the size of a q ball.

When I think of all the things I have been through it's pretty understandable I am in the shape I am in today.

Never even thought about this until you brought the subject up. Just one more thing to consider might to some degree be accountable for my CFS.

Diwi9

Administrator
Your welcome! I suspect neurological damage from wholesale exposure to granular pesticides I was exposed to occupationally when I owned a lawn maintenance business.
Whoa! Are you following the developments in Gulf War Illness? The evidence has mounted that the GWI is likely from chemical exposure and there has been progress in developing pharmaceutical interventions.

ETA: Here's the recent thread on GWI.

Gemini

@antares4141 Thank you for posting this interesting article.

Brings to mind Dr. Gudrun Lange's "CFS & Cognitive Function" presentation on the CDC Feb 25, 2014 Conference Call. She called abnormalities found in ME/CFS an "Acquired Brain Injury" ABI, functional not structural, based on her testing.

Be nice to get her thoughts on the article...as well as Dr. Lipkin's given his interest in the microbiome.

ljimbo423

I suspect neurological damage from wholesale exposure to granular pesticides I was exposed to occupationally when I owned a lawn maintenance business.

Very interesting article! I did a little research on chemicals and gut permeability and found this-

Chemicals, like heavy metals and organochloride pesticides, can possibly affect intestinal permeability, as well as impairing the osmoregulation and calcium transport [248, 249].

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4391693/
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4391693/
So it seems like in addition to neurological damage, heavy metals and pesticides can also cause or contribute to a leaky gut.

Jim

Gemini

Dr. Gudrun Lange's discussion starts at 17:55.

Thanks for finding the presentation @Diwi9! I wanted to re-listen to it. It's one of the better calls I thought.

Lange gives a nice overview of TBI, ABI etc.

From the article:
Researchers have known for years that TBI has significant effects on the gastrointestinal tract, but until now, scientists have not recognized that brain trauma can make the colon more permeable, potentially allowing allow harmful microbes to migrate from the intestine to other areas of the body, causing infection..

If ABI has the same effect as TBI on the gut perhaps Lange and Lipkin should collaborate, they're both in NYC.

Last edited:

RWP (Rest without Peace)

@Gemini,

Good thinking, to connect the two causes and researchers. As a member of the former (ABI) instead of the latter (TBI) category, I have experienced many of the same phenomena as my wife, but to a lesser degree.

RWP

RWP (Rest without Peace)

I did fall on a tarazzo floor when I was maybe 14 or 15. My buddy put me in the sleeper. We watched a lot of wrestling back in the mid 70's. And to his surprise it actually worked. He let me go and I fell flat on my forhead. Had a bump on my head the size of a q ball.

When I think of all the things I have been through it's pretty understandable I am in the shape I am in today.

Never even thought about this until you brought the subject up. Just one more thing to consider might to some degree be accountable for my CFS.

@antares4141

Maybe others here on this site could postulate a descriptor for that type of injury, i.e., what name a doctor would call it in terms of the type of damage done to the brain. That way, you could research it and see if anything makes sense based on your history & symptoms.

RWP (Rest without Peace)