• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Working from Home

markielock

@caledonia No problem :). Yeah, passive income would be considered income and I believe you would be considered self employed too! That's in the UK anyway, I doubt it'd be much different in the US. I also very much recommend Fizzle, I have gone through a lot of their material and it was really good :).

caledonia

I'm like @jaybird1 an artist and sell my work online on etsy, retailers and my own online store. Nice work @jaybird1 :)

I don't sell originals, so I just sell prints of my work, which is really handy, because it means work I created 6 years ago is still selling to this day. In fact my oldest work is the most popular!

Hmmm, I have a ton of old artwork just sitting around doing nothing. Do you physically make the prints and mail them out, or is there a service that makes them on demand and ships them when there is an order?

Also can you post a link to your etsy or online store (or send me a PM if you would prefer not to post it publicly).

wonderoushope

Hmmm, I have a ton of old artwork just sitting around doing nothing. Do you physically make the prints and mail them out, or is there a service that makes them on demand and ships them when there is an order?

Also can you post a link to your etsy or online store (or send me a PM if you would prefer not to post it publicly).

Hi there,

Yes physically make and post prints. I have a large fine art printer. I do have orders for extra, extra large prints and I get those printed externally. There are printing places that ship on demand, like society6, redbubble (they don't print on fine art paper), and well I am in Australia so I have found print places in Australia to print.

I am also trialling a digital downloadable version of my art (to remove the printing and packaging part), but so far not that profitable.

If you don't have much energy, printing in-house can be a little energy draining. I can handle it as I have orders that ship within 1-5 days so, I just do it on the days I have more energy to print and package products.

I will PM you my links.

Last edited:

Tammy

I'm like @jaybird1 an artist and sell my work online on etsy, retailers and my own online store. Nice work @jaybird1 :)

I don't sell originals, so I just sell prints of my work, which is really handy, because it means work I created 6 years ago is still selling to this day. In fact my oldest work is the most popular!
Is there a place we can see your work?

99% of my income comes from one site, it is truly passive, and made $27,500 over 5 years for one hours work.

I have approximately 40 other sites that I have made $111 from over 5 years (this is about break even for its investment). These stats are shown here, 2.4k visitors on Google, 12k visitors for my Amazon sites. If you are thinking about blogging, it is extremely tough with ad revenues and Amazon shrinking.

Ideally I would need to learn freelance coding - or something that pays $60 an hour, as I can work only about 5 hours per week.

Attachments

• dog.png
    dog.png
    46.5 KB · Views: 25

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
Self Employed......

I use watercolours, acrylics, coloured pencils and more recently just started with oil paints. I've been 'doing' art since being a kid but being ill and losing my job kind of put things into perspective as to what I should be doing with my life.

I sell my paintings online via Etsy and Artfinder, also through a local gallery and through events such as the upcoming Cambridge Open Studios (starting this weekend.....must get organised!). I also have a website I can link you to.

My paintings range in price from £100 all the way up to £1495 for big canvases. Some of my work is below:
LOTEL_framed.jpg

Peace_framed2.jpg

IMG_0034.JPG

Such beautiful, beautiful work.

David Jackson

@Mary Poppins: thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I haven't come online in ages, as I've been doing really well. Soon as you get some energy back, things start to get busy.

Tutoring is a great idea; unfortunately, I live a long way from the university... as in 400km away. So I'm not sure how feasible it would be. But thanks for the suggestion!

Mary Poppins

75% Smurf
@Mary Poppins: thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I haven't come online in ages, as I've been doing really well. Soon as you get some energy back, things start to get busy.

Tutoring is a great idea; unfortunately, I live a long way from the university... as in 400km away. So I'm not sure how feasible it would be. But thanks for the suggestion!

Given that whole degrees are able to be completed online without any face to face contact hours these days, I assume it's a markedly more feasible option than what it might have been a decade ago.