• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Study: Folinic acid beneficial to 81% of CFS patients...plus biomarker?

Helen

Interesting about B2, B6 and neuropathy. I have neuropathy and was examined with an EMG and an EeNG test.
It showed axonal damage but no demyelination. I had expected demyelination as blocked methylation could cause that kind of damage to the nerves. Just a single-case but at least we can´t be sure what is damaged when having neuropathy. This discussion should perhaps not be in this thread.but @dannybex we seem to have the same interest in neuropathy.
If someone is reading this I would tell that I later was diagnosed with Lyme that is supposed to have caused the neuropathy. A typical sign of neuropathy induced by Lyme is that the sensory loss is patchy. That´s seldom seen in neurological diseases. FWIW.

Last edited:

gettinbetter

I don't recommend [a high dose of] Methylfolate when it is combined with several milligrams of methyl B12 is that this combination takes control of the rate of the methionine synthase enzyme away from the cells and drives it too fast. The result is that too much of the homocysteine is converted to methionine, and there is not enough left to flow into the transsulfuration pathway to support synthesis of glutathione and other sulfur-containing substances that the cells need.

The result is that the methylation cycle gets going well, but glutathione does not come up, as it needs to do for full recovery. There are excess methyl groups produced because of overdriving the methylation cycle. These are shunted off to the folate metabolism by sarcosine, which is produced by the glycine N-methyltransferase reaction, and then they come back to the methylation cycle via methylfolate. It's sort of like a futile cycle, like a squirrel in a rotating cage.

This is not just based on biochemical theory, though it is supported by that. It is based on lab tests that people who have been on this regimen have sent me.
I have taken injections of methyl folate methyl b12 before and I don't want to do that again
I had a lot of heart pounding and insomnia that night and did not feel normal for about a day in addition I had a lot of kidney pain and I think I did some kidney damage

Seven7

Seven
Omg! This crashes me for days! The inflammation is intolerable. I have tried a few times and I swear to myself never again. I mean I loose consciousness for days at the time.

Gingergrrl

I’m trying now, 25mg, three times a day. So far so good but it’s only been a few days. :)

Wow, you are taking 25 mg 3x/day?!! My B-12 supplement has 800 mcg of Folinic Acid and I take it once a day! How do you tolerate such a high dose?