• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative to Honey (and many others) for esophagitis?

Hi, I am very sensitive to too many things. I'm desperately trying to heal my throat and esophagus from acid reflux, but ive grown resistant to many things like slippery elm, dgl, marshmallow root, aloe, manuka honey, coconut nectar... The list goes on. Currently, I've taken an obscure route, looking for anything thick and syrup-like that wont bother me.

I'm anticpating to try: blackstrap molasses, raw agave nectar, d limonene, homemade date molasses, and yacon root syrup.

Anyone know of any other, preferably very obscure, potions?

Shoshana

Northern USA
Do try coconut oil, if you are able, as I have found that helpful.

And sometimes I tolerate licorice root tea.
Or Throat Coat tea, which contains it.

They do not taste like coconut,
nor does licorice root tea taste like licorice.

BTW, licorice root is NOT recommened for people with high blood pressure.

The ones you listed all seem worth trying too. Flax oil? Fish oil? Bone broth?

Liquid Antacids, over-the-counter, have many different ingredients. Have you tried all of them,
to see if you find one you can tolerate now?
Not so much for the antacid property, but for coating the throat, especially before trying to rest.

Let me know, how you are doing, if you are finding any helpful or not. I do know how terrible the throat and esophagus can be, and how we just want to soothe it somehow.

Of course, I am sure you already have eliminated foods tht irritate it.

When the valves do not close tightly, it really does not matter much what you are eating, the acid still will hurt it.

Have you tried betain-hcl with meals?

I've been on that for years. Helps with energy and absorption but this is more of a weakened shpincter problem. Its constantly opened up and i can literally hear my food and drink gurgle as they slide down my throat very very slowly

Do try coconut oil, if you are able, as I have found that helpful.

And sometimes I tolerate licorice root tea.
Or Throat Coat tea, which contains it.

They do not taste like coconut,
nor does licorice root tea taste like licorice.

BTW, licorice root is NOT recommened for people with high blood pressure.

The ones you listed all seem worth trying too. Flax oil? Fish oil? Bone broth?

Liquid Antacids, over-the-counter, have many different ingredients. Have you tried all of them,
to see if you find one you can tolerate now?
Not so much for the antacid property, but for coating the throat, especially before trying to rest.

Let me know, how you are doing, if you are finding any helpful or not. I do know how terrible the throat and esophagus can be, and how we just want to soothe it somehow.

Of course, I am sure you already have eliminated foods tht irritate it.

When the valves do not close tightly, it really does not matter much what you are eating, the acid still will hurt it.

Great advice, thank you. Yeah its really an awful feeling, the nausea makes it much worse too. Im on tpn so i have one meal a day and its still unbearable. I burp and acid comes up even when i dont eat. I do drink homemade bone broth to heal gut but the histamine makes heartburn worse i think.

Intolerant to throat coat, flax and fish oil as well :(

Yeah no matter what i eat/drink it still happens. Actually worse with hcl now since as you said, it is indeed a shpincter problem. Manuka honey helped the best in the past, it acted like a barrier i guess. Im very sensitive to meds so antacids are out too. Id love to take carafate at night too, but cant.

Coconut oil might work. I mix it with my food, so should i just drink it straight?

Shoshana

Northern USA
Brown rice syrup? Plum (ume) concentrate?

I found hcl made me worse as well. Many people do find it helpful.

If you do find anything bland that you can eat, perhaps eating a small amount, more often would help, though I do understand how difficult eating Anything becomes.

Chicken fat from organic, kosher chicken.... ???

Miso? Soy sauce?

The coconut oil, I would just try a small spoon of it, plain.
Yes, I do mix it with my foods, which helps with them.

xrayspex

charcoal capsules helps reflux.....eating a lot of rice with cottage cheese helps me can even have that in evening-- and smoothies to get vegies and fruits

Last edited: