• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please Help Major Depression & Anxiety am i devolping CFS?

Hello i have posted on here before asking the same question but feel as if inposted it on the wrong thread so here it goes i am going to tell you all why i am here & please dont judge me for some of the things i am going to share..

I am a 22 yr old male who’s life has hit rock bottom this year...Now i am a bodybuilder who developed a bad sinus infection the beginnig this year which i at the time was going through severe depression & struggled with cocaine addiction (dumb i know) now i iwas given a zpack for the sinus infrction & i started having bad heartburn like constantly to the point where i had to see a gastroenterologist & have an endoscopy done & it was just mild inactive gastritis

So here goes again another sinus infection & this time i am giving amoxicilin & my gut was pretty much f***** same thing i was suffering with depression doing cocaine, methaphetamine & drinking alot to cope with the stress, at my highest weight i was at 172 & lost alot of fat & muscle mass my lowest down to 153.. i have had all sorts of digestive issues & i’ve have some symptoms of cfs thing is i dont have this PEM i am still able to workout & work full time but now this anxiety has gotten so bad that im scared to even go to the gym :thumbdown:

Now i do have a viral infection HPV i have a visable wart on my groin area & i heard Warts only show on someone who has a weak immune system, im bisexual & i hook with both sexes & ive been tested negative for HIV also i was diagnosed pre diabetic as my fasting glucose was 101 & type 2 diabetes runs in bothsides of my family i was tested negative for antibodies for Epstein-Barr & have never had lyme disease

I do have some minor energy swings somedays & now i havent really got a flu in years but last time i cought a cold was back last december & this February, i am able to tolerate alcohol, i’ve read about food intolerances & leaky gut & idk if i have any all i notice GI wise is my stomach gurgles alot!!! Now i would say i have normal bm movements but sometimes diarrhea rarely constipation

I have been suffering from horrifying anxiety on & off since the episode early this year. i feel like my body is always fearing for the worst & depression i just feel like something is wrong with me & doctors cant find out :thumbdown:

Its just i had read about cfs & how these things can lead up to it & i am just so scared :( i’ve seen how horrible this disease is & i pray for all of you its horrifying to see how people suffer with this... i just need some reassurance i am worrying myself sick...

Last edited:

Diwi9

Administrator
@Worried1230 - First, I'm sorry that you are suffering and having so much anxiety because of the state you are in and I don't want you to be scared. If you don't have PEM, you can likely cross ME/CFS off the list. It is the cardinal symptom. Do you have unrefreshing sleep (like you feel like crap when you wake up and can't get out of bed in the mornings) and do you suffer from cognitive dysfunction (like you have problems concentrating on conversations or movies, and have problems remembering things)?

I'm not a medical professional, so I can't dish advice, but based on your history and as a former bodybuilder myself, I can understand the extremes of pushing yourself. If your body has a chronic infection (i.e. sinus infection, and possible viral load) and you are doing hard drugs, and pounding yourself at the gym...it's most likely going to lead to a break point of ME/CFS or just exhaustion. The body can only take so much and it is sending signals.

notmyself

you are doing heavy drugs, wich might be the caused of your anxiety, you have reccurent infections,most probably caused by weaken immune system from drugs and chronic stress..one fasting glucose of 101 doesn t mean you are prediabetic,drugs, stress ,bad sleep all this can raise blood sugar..i wouldn t worry about that to be honest..Take a break from gym , try quiting your drug habbit and work on your anxiety..if you continue like this, with drugs ,gym, anxiety ,heavy workouts you can easilly devellep ME/CFS..

you are doing heavy drugs, wich might be the caused of your anxiety, you have reccurent infections,most probably caused by weaken immune system from drugs and chronic stress..one fasting glucose of 101 doesn t mean you are prediabetic,drugs, stress ,bad sleep all this can raise blood sugar..i wouldn t worry about that to be honest..Take a break from gym , try quiting your drug habbit and work on your anxiety..if you continue like this, with drugs ,gym, anxiety ,heavy workouts you can easilly devellep ME/CFS..
I no longer do druga i stopped doing them 5 months ago just wanted to see if that can cause me i belive the cocaine was the actual reason for my sinus infection
@Worried1230 - First, I'm sorry that you are suffering and having so much anxiety because of the state you are in and I don't want you to be scared. If you don't have PEM, you can likely cross ME/CFS off the list. It is the cardinal symptom. Do you have unrefreshing sleep (like you feel like crap when you wake up and can't get out of bed in the mornings) and do you suffer from cognitive dysfunction (like you have problems concentrating on conversations or movies, and have problems remembering things)?

I'm not a medical professional, so I can't dish advice, but based on your history and as a former bodybuilder myself, I can understand the extremes of pushing yourself. If your body has a chronic infection (i.e. sinus infection, and possible viral load) and you are doing hard drugs, and pounding yourself at the gym...it's most likely going to lead to a break point of ME/CFS or just exhaustion. The body can only take so much and it is sending signals.
i have no cognitive problems i can easil concentrate & have a hell of a good memory like i can remember days from elemantry, i suffer with insomnia sometimes but i still feel energized the next day, No viral load i tested negative for HIV but i have HPV as i have a visable genital wart

eric_gladiator

You are describing me a few years ago before getting sick. Knowing what I have never done what I did today because I know that everything I have today is a consequence of the past, of the "great" life that I was carrying. so stupid sometimes for not having listened to my body in time, I just hope that this does not happen to you or anyone else, you can avoid it in time!

You are describing me a few years ago before getting sick. Knowing what I have never done what I did today because I know that everything I have today is a consequence of the past, of the "great" life that I was carrying. so stupid sometimes for not having listened to my body in time, I just hope that this does not happen to you or anyone else, you can avoid it in time!
How would i know if im starting to develop ME?

What should i do to avoid it?

Also now thatvi think about it, i believe the sinus infection was caused by bad batch of cocaine its just those antibiotics messed up my gut

ljimbo423

What should i do to avoid it?

Hi Worried1230 - I suffered from severe anxiety, depression, chronic heartburn and digestive issues several years before I developed CFS. I have learned in the last couple of years that my gut issues are causing my anxiety.

I have been treating gut dysbiosis and leaky gut for several months now and have improved a lot. One of the biggest improvements I have experienced is a profound lessening of my anxiety attacks.

I use to get an anxiety attack every time I would go through a checkout counter at a store to pay for something. That hasn't happened now in a few months or so because I am fixing my gut. My hope is that you will look into dysbiosis and leaky gut as a source of your anxiety and treat it.

Antibiotics are the number one cause of dysbiosis and leaky gut. That's how I got my gut problems. I got bronchitis 1-2 times every year for years and took antibiotics every time to get rid of it.

Jim

Hi Worried1230 - I suffered from severe anxiety, depression, chronic heartburn and digestive issues several years before I developed CFS. I have learned in the last couple of years that my gut issues are causing my anxiety.

I have been treating gut dysbiosis and leaky gut for several months now and have improved a lot. One of the biggest improvements I have experienced is a profound lessening of my anxiety attacks.

I use to get an anxiety attack every time I would go through a checkout counter at a store to pay for something. That hasn't happened now in a few months or so because I am fixing my gut. My hope is that you will look into dysbiosis and leaky gut as a source of your anxiety and treat it.

Antibiotics are the number one cause of dysbiosis and leaky gut. That's how I got my gut problems. I got bronchitis 1-2 times every year for years and took antibiotics every time to get rid of it.

Jim
I figured my gut has been messed up ive been taking probiotics but only thing i noticed is they have loweredy bloating & improved digestion a little but my stomach gurgles alot that is my only issues ive suffered with anxiety for years & now i find myself craving alchol to cope with it which is not good

ljimbo423

I figured my gut has been messed up ive been taking probiotics but only thing i noticed is they have loweredy bloating & improved digestion a little but my stomach gurgles alot that is my only issues ive suffered with anxiety for years & now i find myself craving alchol to cope with it which is not good

I understand that you don't have CFS yet and I don't think you will get it if you take care of your gut. It will take much more than just probiotics to bring back a healthy balance of good bacteria in your gut and heal a leaky gut.

It usually takes a low carbohydrate diet, herbs to kill off the bad bacteria that have overgrown from the antibiotics you took and things like glutamine to help your gut heal.

I also use to drink quite often to deal with the anxiety I was feeling. Alcohol also causes or makes worse a leaky gut too. I am absolutely convinced that my CFS started because my gut was so messed up.

Jim

I understand that you don't have CFS yet and I don't think you will get it if you take care of your gut. It will take much more than just probiotics to bring back a healthy balance of good bacteria in your gut and heal a leaky gut.

It usually takes a low carbohydrate diet, herbs to kill off the bad bacteria that have overgrown from the antibiotics you took and things like glutamine to help your gut heal.

I also use to drink quite often to deal with the anxiety I was feeling. Alcohol also causes or makes worse a leaky gut too. I am absolutely convinced that my CFS started because my gut was so messed up.

Jim
I use glutamine in my BCAA that i drink while i workout, my diet sucks ill admit that i dont drink a whole lot maybe like a beer during lunchtime & i go out on weekends with friends than ill drink a little more... Also i’ve never had Epstein-Barr or lyme thank god as i have read those are the main causes of cfs i just think that A genital wart means my immune system is weak but its weird i rarely get sick i havent got the flu in idk how long but i normally catch the common cold twice a year, last time i got it was back in febuary

ljimbo423

I use glutamine in my BCAA that i drink while i workout, my diet sucks ill admit that i dont drink a whole lot maybe like a beer during lunchtime & i go out on weekends with friends than ill drink a little more... Also i’ve never had Epstein-Barr or lyme thank god as i have read those are the main causes of cfs i just think that A genital wart means my immune system is weak but its weird i rarely get sick i havent got the flu in idk how long but i normally catch the common cold twice a year, last time i got it was back in febuary

That's really good that you are taking BCAA's and glutamine! They help to heal the gut lining but the bad bacteria have to be removed first and they will not remove the bad bacteria.

The bad bacteria cause mild inflammation of the gut lining which allows toxins from the bacteria to get into the bloodstream and cause anxiety and a lot of other problems as well, with time.

A low carb diet and herbs to kill off the bad bacteria are the best way to go, I believe.

Jim

Hip

@Worried1230, the sinus infection, gastritis, anxiety and depression that you have might all be caused by a virus you may have caught by normal social contact, or through kissing (many viruses spread via saliva).

I developed symptoms like yours after catching a viral infection, which my blood tests suggest was coxsackievirus B4 (a virus commonly linked to ME/CFS).

Then later ME/CFS manifested, which I think was almost certainly due to the same virus.

You might like to look at my website which lists the horrible mental and physical symptoms triggered by my virus.

Chronic coxsackievirus B infections are hard to test for, because to my knowledge only ARUP Lab in the US offers a test that is able to detect chronic coxsackievirus B.

If your anxiety is caused by the action of your virus on the brain, then the anti-anxiety supplements detailed in the following thread may be helpful:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

@Worried1230, the sinus infection, gastritis, anxiety and depression that you have might all be caused by a virus you may have caught by normal social contact, or through kissing (many viruses spread via saliva).

I developed symptoms like yours after catching a viral infection, which my blood tests suggest was coxsackievirus B4 (a virus commonly linked to ME/CFS).

Then later ME/CFS manifested, which I think was almost certainly due to the same virus.

You might like to look at my website which lists the horrible mental and physical symptoms triggered by my virus.

Chronic coxsackievirus B infections are hard to test for, because to my knowledge only ARUP Lab in the US offers a test that is able to detect chronic coxsackievirus B.

If your anxiety is caused by the action of your virus on the brain, then the anti-anxiety supplements detailed in the following thread may be helpful:

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!
The sinus infection was caused by a bad cocaine batch i no longer have the sinus issues, gastritis was more likely caused by opiod drugs & ive dealt with anxiety & depression for years... from the looks of your post i dont have this virus like i mentinoed i dont really have fatigue

Hip

The sinus infection was caused by a bad cocaine batch i no longer have the sinus issues, gastritis was more likely caused by opiod drugs & ive dealt with anxiety & depression for years

OK, I had (incorrect) impression that these symptoms occurred around about the same time. The anti-anxiety supplements may well be useful in any case, especially the N-acetyl-glucosamine. Alternatively, you doctor might suggest some drug treatments for the anxiety and depression. Have you ever tried any drug or supplement treatments for anxiety and depression?

OK, I had (incorrect) impression that these symptoms occurred around about the same time. The anti-anxiety supplements may well be useful in any case, especially the N-acetyl-glucosamine. Alternatively, you doctor might suggest some drug treatments for the anxiety and depression. Have you ever tried any drug or supplement treatments for anxiety and depression?
Benzos work for the anxiety & i noticed the probiotics i take kind of help as well.... The only kinda of anxiety i suffer from is health anxiety... i remember one time in my teens i had testicle pain & i freaked out that it was cancer to find out it was nothing

Diwi9

Administrator
Benzos work for the anxiety & i noticed the probiotics i take kind of help as well.... The only kinda of anxiety i suffer from is health anxiety... i remember one time in my teens i had testicle pain & i freaked out that it was cancer to find out it was nothing
Anxiety is a beast. There are techniques that can help, if you can find a good therapist that can provide you tools. I'm not sure it is possible to extinguish anxiety, but it is possible to reduce it and not have it take over your life.

Hip

So you don't have anxiety about anything else, other than health issues?

The anxiety of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) includes two main components: mental tension (inability to relax and feeling constantly on edge) and excessive worry about things or a sense of dread.

People with GAD can have either of these two components, or both of them.

Do you have any mental tension, or are you pretty relaxed normally? And you say you do have worry, but it only relates to health matters?

Sometimes people may not be aware that they have mental tension (feeling nervy and on edge), as they might just think this is their normal personalty. That can even led to using opioid drugs as a form of self-medication, because these cause a strong relaxation, which temporarily eases tensions in your mind. So if you do have GAD, it's important to recognize it in yourself.

I don't think it is likely you will develop ME/CFS just based on symptoms of depression and anxiety. These symptoms don't led to ME/CFS.

So you don't have anxiety about anything else, other than health issues?

The anxiety of generalized anxiety disorder (GAD) includes two main components: mental tension (inability to relax and feeling constantly on edge) and excessive worry about things or a sense of dread.

People with GAD can have either of these two components, or both of them.

Do you have any mental tension, or are you pretty relaxed normally? And you say you do have worry, but it only relates to health matters?

Sometimes people may not be aware that they have mental tension (feeling nervy and on edge), as they might just think this is their normal personalty. That can even led to using opioid drugs as a form of self-medication, because these cause a strong relaxation, which temporarily eases tensions in your mind. So if you do have GAD, it's important to recognize it in yourself.

I don't think it is likely you will develop ME/CFS just based on symptoms of depression and anxiety. These symptoms don't led to ME/CFS.
Yes the biggest fear of my life is death i remember one time when i thought overdosed on cocaine & was taken to the ER they wanted me To speak to a doctor because they thought I was trying to commit suicide and I lashed out at the doctor saying why would I want to kill myself when I’m here in the first place because I’m scared I’m dying

& Yes i do feel on edge like for example when im working out i fear that i am going to faint

Last edited: