• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dysbiosis Treatment with ABX, KDM

Banana94

I'm so sorry for you :(
this doesn't sounds hopeful.. What is he doing after treating the gut? Does he have other treatment options than ABX?

unicorn7

Last time I was there, he told me that, from oktober on, he would have an extra day to do some lobbying with pharmaceutical companies. I think I read somewhere that he retired from teaching at the university, maybe he was still teaching there one day a week?

From what he said, I don't think he thinks ABX is the best treatment there is for the gut-problem, it's just all we have now. I think he's expecting a lot from that JAK-1 inhibitor.
I think the problem with the microbiome, is that there are loads of different factors. It's not just as easy as ABX and you get rid of the bad ones and you keep the good ones.

I responded very well on my first three months of rifaximine/clindamycine. I pretty much went form moderate to mild. I started building up too fast and crashed pretty hard. I'm now trying again:nervous:

I asked what came after this and he told me, I will need to get my energy system working again, as soon as the inflammation is under control. If you try it before the inflammation is down, you will just crash again...
From what I understood is that that means getting infusions with meyers cocktail etc.

Banana94

I know its much more difficult than just get rid of the bad ones. At my opinion KDM does not enough to get your inflammation under control. He never said a word about avoiding sugar and carbs for example -> A ketogenic diet is known to be very antiinflammatory and he never lost a word about this. Just try to get rid of the bad bacterias only by ABX is not enough for the most of us. Just avoiding Dairy and Gluten like he recommends to the Foodstats antibody Test will not put our digestive tracts in remission.

I share the opinion that the inflammation must get under control. I think you can also get your energy system working again now, I think it is important also for the inflammation control.
Did he recommend Myers cocktail? Thats just high dosed Vitamin, most of them you can take oral except high dose Vitamin C.

Hope he finds a remedy which works for the inflammation control.

JES

I know its much more difficult than just get rid of the bad ones. At my opinion KDM does not enough to get your inflammation under control. He never said a word about avoiding sugar and carbs for example -> A ketogenic diet is known to be very antiinflammatory and he never lost a word about this. Just try to get rid of the bad bacterias only by ABX is not enough for the most of us. Just avoiding Dairy and Gluten like he recommends to the Foodstats antibody Test will not put our digestive tracts in remission.

Well I wouldn't blame KDM specifically for that. What medical doctor does advocate ketogenic diets? All doctors I have been to have recommended only a typical all-round diet with lots of vegetables etc. Most of us have already gone through all the diets and are still more or less sick.

unicorn7

I, for one, don't do well on a ketogenic diet. Plus that there is a chance ABX like rifaximine works less on a ketogenic diet, because starving bacteria apparently go into survival mode.

From KDM, I got the rotation diet, with lots of exclusions like wheat, dairy, egg, soy and lots of nuts. I went to the dietician who works with him and she advices especially to eat no fructose, which basically means no sugar.

Instead of just cutting a lot of stuff, I try to eat as healthy as possible. I do eat carbs, lots of vegetables, hardly any sugar though.

Banana94

I can only avoid sugar if I cut all carbs out. Otherwisw I get bad cravings. If I eat carbs I get fat, so I better avoid them.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I don't think that it's a good idea to avoid carbs. Bacteria that metabolise carbs will then feed themselves from the mucosal of your gut. And those bacteria aren't "bad". They are part of the human microbiome. Unless you have an overgrow...

Banana94

I don't think that it's a good idea to avoid carbs. Bacteria that metabolise carbs will then feed themselves from the mucosal of your gut. And those bacteria aren't "bad". They are part of the human microbiome. Unless you have an overgrow...
My digestion significantly improved! So i dont see a reason why I shouldnt stay on this diet! Carbs are not essential. Fat and protein are!

Banana94

I dont want to fight about diet. Do whatever you think is good for you!
But the body really doesnt need any essential carbs, he can synthesize it from fat. But not the other way....

unicorn7

There are carbs in lots of vegetables. I try to eat lots and lots of vegetables and a lot of varieties.

I get enormous cravings if I don't eat any carbs:D and I'm at risk of being too thin:lol: Everybody is different, do whatever makes you feel good:)
My problem is also that I had IgG reaction to a lot of foods with high fat and high proteins (nuts, cheese, yoghurt, egg, soy), so otherwise I will eat only meat:meh: I do eat a lot of bone broth.

Banana94

I, for one, don't do well on a ketogenic diet. Plus that there is a chance ABX like rifaximine works less on a ketogenic diet, because starving bacteria apparently go into survival mode.

From KDM, I got the rotation diet, with lots of exclusions like wheat, dairy, egg, soy and lots of nuts. I went to the dietician who works with him and she advices especially to eat no fructose, which basically means no sugar.

Instead of just cutting a lot of stuff, I try to eat as healthy as possible. I do eat carbs, lots of vegetables, hardly any sugar though.

I ve also already heard that Rifaximin probably works less on a ketogenic diet, but I ve also tried Rifaximin on normal Carb based diet and it also didn't work..

ljimbo423

I ve also already heard that Rifaximin probably works less on a ketogenic diet, but I ve also tried Rifaximin on normal Carb based diet and it also didn't work..

Unfortunately the gut (microbiome) is still much of a mystery for the most part. If that's not enough, each person's microbiome is unique to them. Making treatment, unique to them.

I have been and am doing very well with a low carb diet, a couple of short courses of Rifaximan, probiotics, and daily anti-microbial herbs.

It isn't a quick fix but I continue to improve, which continues to give me hope of being free of this horrendous illness at some point. Hopefully sooner not later!:D

Jim

Banana94

Unfortunately the gut (microbiome) is still much of a mystery for the most part. If that's not enough, each person's microbiome is unique to them. Making treatment, unique to them.

I have been and am doing very well with a low carb diet, a couple of short courses of Rifaximan, probiotics, and daily anti-microbial herbs.

It isn't a quick fix but I continue to improve, which continues to give me hope of being free of this horrendous illness at some point. Hopefully sooner not later!:D

Jim

Im glad your improving! Are you KDM‘s patient?

jpcv

Jim
What herbs do you use ?