• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Graded Exercise Therapy GET still recommended by the NHS ?

I know there has been a lot of hard work, effort & countless man/woman hours by a lot of people to prove GET is not effective & can be harmful but -

Countrygirl

I know there has been a lot of hard work, effort & countless man/woman hours by a lot of people to prove GET is not effective & can be harmful but -

Yes, sadly.

A young person I know has just been told that she must recover within the next month or be admitted to hospital for 'intensive therapy'. This isn't even GET.

andyguitar

The NICE guidelines are going to be reviewed but the process wont start till about Dec/Jan. I am going to ask the chairman of NICE if, when the review process begins, the existing guidelines can be be changed. Expect most will think they cant. Depends how convincing I can be about how harmful the existing ones are. Wish me luck!