• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Incredible improvements with Helminthic Therapy

sb4

@Hip

I seemed to go down hill for a few days than suspiciously on week 12 a bump back up.

I'm on w14 however last 2 days feeling a little worse.

I suspect the NA have brought some change however my current plan is to wait a couple more weeks, see where I'm at, then add 10 more. This should give me a more clear indication of how much it's helping. I will then be able to provide a meaningful update.

Hip

@sb4, have you seen this nice and clear Hookworm Timeline wiki article, linked to earlier by @Gyre, detailing what to expect, week by week, as you introduce hookworms (Necator americanus is a species of hookworm)?

Apparently in weeks 3 to 10 after the introduction of the hookworms, you can feel a little worse, with fatigue and gastrointestinal symptoms. The article says that antihistamines or steroids can help. You may be still in this period of initially feeling a little worse, before you (hopefully) get better.

Then from around week 12 (3 months) onwards, that's when the tide turns, and the worms start to work, and your symptoms start to ease (that is, if you are a responder to the worms).

Around week 20 (5 months), that's when the worms really get into the their stride in terms of providing benefits, and so you should be feeling improved at this stage, if you are a responder to the worms.

Week 45 (11 months) is when the worms reach equilibrium in the intestines, and any improvements that may result from the worms will usually have manifested by this time. Although in a few cases, improvements may not appear until week 60 (14 months).

sb4

@Hip

I have seen the timeline and it has followed my experience somewhat. Itchy skin, then cough, then ill/sinus/flu, wk8-12 gastro symptoms which have mostly gone. However it was like at 2-3week when I noticed a bump in symptoms which has mostly maintained ever since. This last bit is inconsistent with the timeline which makes me only 60-70% sure its the NA.

sb4

Applied 10 more one week ago however am worried that they may not have took.

The first 5 made the spot where I applied them itchy all day on the first day and then still itchy for days to come. This batch was itchy for the first 30 minutes then nothing. There are a couple of red marks left but thats it.

First time I got a cough after a couple of days which lasted weeks. No sign of anything this time. I feel no different.

I got a sore throat around a week or so last time but nothing yet.

It was a hot day when I applied the patch although I kept the patch in the shade. Hoping they haven't evaporated or something...

@Gyre any ideas on this?

Cheesus

@sb4 I found this on the wiki:

All the side effects except the skin rash normally reduce sequentially with successive doses. One individual, who had many weeks of diarrhoea following the first hookworm dose, found his symptoms greatly reduced the second time around and, after the third dose, there was no liquid diarrhoea at all during the side effect period, just very soft stools with a 'cow pat' consistency. After the fourth dose, his stools were virtually as normal, but remained slightly softer than they had been prior to infection.

The skin rash at the inoculation site may also recur during the gastrointestinal side effect phase, perhaps because the worms shed cells and debris from their skin as they migrate through the host's skin, and, when the worms attach and put the same kind of material (their skin) into contact with the host's immune system in the intestines, the host's immune system releases antibodies to those types of cells or proteins wherever they occur, whether in the intestine or in the skin.

Strangely, the first few hookworm doses produce a successively more pronounced skin rash, with the fourth or fifth inoculation leaving some people with a very impressive 'love bite', perhaps even surrounded by a halo of apparently bruised skin which can become raised and may be as itchy as the rash site itself. Apart from the skin rash, which tends to ease after a few days, all the other side effects typically come and go, and the experience can be very much like riding a roller-coaster. There is also enormous variation between individuals, with some people getting no symptoms at all, and others experiencing relentless fatigue, disabling abdominal pain and geysers of diarrhoea.

http://helminthictherapywiki.org/wiki/index.php/Hookworm_timeline

Cheesus

Any updates on your last innoculation, @sb4? My helminths arrive tomorrow.

How are you doing with you staph vaccine trial, @Hip? Are you thinking of moving onto helminths yet?

sb4

I have definitely had increased motility which is good for my gastroparesis however I am unsure if it's just my body trying to expel the helminths/ or something similair and not it actually fixing it. I will know in a couple of months when the gastric symptoms settle down, if my paresis returns, then it won't have helped in this area, if it stays away, then it will have.

I have had the sustained boost since starting my first one more or less consistently throughout, but still cannot 100% pin it on this as I'm still taking TUDCA.

I will be very interested to see how you respond so I can compare...

Very interesting thread Gyre. I've been reading what research I could find on Pubmed as well as all the anecdotal stories and there seems to be fairly low downside and lots of potential upside. I inoculated with 10 Necator Americanus on July 10th so hopefully I can replicate your success. I guess we have to wait at least another three month to see results, but I will try to update this thread now and then!

kyzcreig

After reading this thread in February I bought 5 helminths (NA) and evaluated for 14 weeks. Symptoms got worse, I saw no benefit after 14 weeks so I killed them with anthelmintic drugs. I was also impatient to try other therapies as this one had only made me worse. The days after I killed the helminths I did much better.

After helminth therapy I tried ShK-186. It gave me a tingling sensation across my body and did not improve symptoms.

My primary symptoms are MCS and chronic fatigue. I see positive response from corticosteroids, Ozone IV, and nutritional IVs. I am currently 2 weeks into Rituximab therapy, response is usually 5-6 weeks in. I will post if I notice benefit.

I am looking into IVIG and the MCAS drugs. Research shows CFS patients have mast cell irregularities and MC disorders are associated with low level environmental sensitivities.

Cheesus

Any updates on your last innoculation, @sb4? My helminths arrive tomorrow.

How are you doing with you staph vaccine trial, @Hip? Are you thinking of moving onto helminths yet?

This was a false start for me. I did finally start helminth therapy 7 weeks ago. I am currently seeing an upswing in my energy. I don't know if it is the start of sustainable improvements from the helminths yet, but things are looking positive for the time being. I will update again at the 12 week mark when I plan to inoculate with 5 more.

Last edited:
I need to write a longer update, but I started Helminthic Therapy 14 weeks ago and since week 8 I've seen very large improvements in energy. Too early to say anything definite, but it's by far the biggest change Ihave had since I got sick five years ago.

Hip

started Helminthic Therapy 14 weeks ago and since week 8 I've seen very large improvements in energy

Are you using the Necator americanus helminths discussed in this thread, or some other species of helminth?

Cheesus

I started with 10 Necator Americanus. Not that many side effects and I took prednisone for those. Just be aware that you need to wait at least 8-10 weeks before you see any effects. It definitively takes some time before the worms are mature enough to start working.

I only took 5, so it might require another dose or perhaps more to fully get up to speed.

Let us know how you get on.

Hip

I need to write a longer update, but I started Helminthic Therapy 14 weeks ago and since week 8 I've seen very large improvements in energy. Too early to say anything definite, but it's by far the biggest change Ihave had since I got sick five years ago.

Can you quantify that improvement in your ME/CFS symptoms in terms of your position on the ME/CFS scale of mild, moderate and severe? Where would you say you were on that scale before starting the helminth therapy, and where do you feel you are at present on this scale?

Hopefully in the coming months, if your health level continues to improve, you might move even further up this scale. The original poster on this thread, @Gyre, started out with severe ME/CFS, but moved up two levels on this scale to just mild ME/CFS after helminth therapy, which is a huge improvement (even moving up one level on this scale is a major improvement).

I am planning to try helminth therapy myself soon.

Cheesus

This was a false start for me. I did finally start helminth therapy 7 weeks ago. I am currently seeing an upswing in my energy. I don't know if it is the start of sustainable improvements from the helminths yet, but things are looking positive for the time being. I will update again at the 12 week mark when I plan to inoculate with 5 more.

Just hitting week 12(ish). The improvement at week 7 was, unfortunately, probably just a normal fluctuation in my ME. My health has since declined again. On balance I would say I am pretty much where I was at the start, if not a little worse. One of the reasons I am seeing no improvement might be that I started on such a low dose. Another might be that it is just too early to tell.

I should temper this with a note of caution, however. Whilst I have not seen any improvement, I have seen some changes in my symptoms (different symptoms or a resurgence of symptoms I haven't had for a while). This in itself is intriguing as my condition has been incredibly stubborn for years now, with no change in anything at all beyond the small fluctuations mentioned above. So change is good. If it can change, it can get better (I hope).

I have re-dosed with another 5 NA. Itching was worse this time. The rash isn't too bad, but unlike last time i cannot see the individual entry points of each worm - perhaps they were clustered too close together.

I will report again either in 6 weeks or if something happens. In another 12 weeks I plan to up the ante by dosing with 10 hookworms if I don't get many side effects from the 5 I have just inoculated with.

Last edited: