• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abnormal CBC, but normal B12?

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Magnesium is essential for getting potassium into the cells. I get muscle cramps if I don't take my favorite magnesium supplements which are Mg oxide and MagTab SR. I take both twice a day. Taking them twice a day is essential - you can't just take them when you have a cramp.

See the posts I made here quoting the work of the late Dr. Herbert Mansmann, former director of the Magnesium Research Laboratory at Jefferson Medical College (he treated himself with magnesium):
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ts-best-kind-to-take.52208/page-2#post-864902
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ts-best-kind-to-take.52208/page-2#post-864907

Here is his article regarding correcting Mg levels to correct potassium deficiency:
http://barttersite.org/magnesium-and-potassium-interaction

Magnesium is essential for getting potassium into the cells. I get muscle cramps if I don't take my favorite magnesium supplements which are Mg oxide and MagTab SR. I take both twice a day. Taking them twice a day is essential - you can't just take them when you have a cramp.

See the posts I made here quoting the work of the late Dr. Herbert Mansmann, former director of the Magnesium Research Laboratory at Jefferson Medical College (he treated himself with magnesium):
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ts-best-kind-to-take.52208/page-2#post-864902
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ts-best-kind-to-take.52208/page-2#post-864907

Here is his article regarding correcting Mg levels to correct potassium deficiency:
http://barttersite.org/magnesium-and-potassium-interaction
I looked at the article, and it's about trying to correct serum potassium levels -- from my understanding, plasma potassium levels are 0.1 - 0.7% lower than serum levels (another reference said 0.5%). Given that, I just don't see how my potassium levels are low. I think the cramping has more to do with the macrocytic anemia and B1 deficiency.
I supplement with magnesium, probably too much, and I dose three times per day. I use a lot of magnesium glycinate, since it's well-absorbed and specifically meant to benefit the muscles. I think magnesium oxide is not well-absorbed, since it's not chelated. My serum magnesium has always been on the very high side of normal -- what determines the RBC magnesium? I wonder if low ferritin is worsening the cramps? The hospitalist said that I don't have iron deficiency anemia, because the red blood cells would be microcytic. But isn't it possible to have folate, b12, and iron deficiency at the same time? I was told a while back not to take iron because it could worsen my copper metabolism problem (high unbound copper, low serum copper/ceruloplasmin). This is all so confusing to me...

Last edited:

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I looked at the article, and it's about trying to correct serum potassium levels -- from my understanding, plasma potassium levels are 0.1 - 0.7% lower than serum levels (another reference said 0.5%). Given that, I just don't see how my potassium levels are low. I think the cramping has more to do with the macrocytic anemia and B1 deficiency.
I supplement with magnesium, probably too much, and I dose three times per day. I use a lot of magnesium glycinate, since it's well-absorbed and specifically meant to benefit the muscles. I think magnesium oxide is not well-absorbed, since it's not chelated. My serum magnesium has always been on the very high side of normal -- what determines the RBC magnesium? I wonder if low ferritin is worsening the cramps? The hospitalist said that I don't have iron deficiency anemia, because the red blood cells would be microcytic. But isn't it possible to have folate, b12, and iron deficiency at the same time? I was told a while back not to take iron because it could worsen my copper metabolism problem (high unbound copper, low serum copper/ceruloplasmin). This is all so confusing to me...

If you have muscle cramps and your potassium is fine, I would want to be sure your magnesium is adequate, and it apparently is. However, it is best to supplement magnesium in several different forms. The first links I gave you were from a doctor who was a director of a magnesium research laboratory who treated himself with high doses of magnesium. I don't know where you could find a more credible source. I know mg oxide has a reputation of not being well absorbed, but it is first on his list, in fact, he calls it "the workhorse."

Also, calcium can interfere with Mg absorption, so you want to separate them by at least 2 hours.

Regarding anemia, yes, it is possible to have multiple deficiencies. The only way to be sure you don't have an iron deficiency is to order a ferritin level. Most doctors will also add an iron and TIBC to that. I'm not aware of low ferritin having any relation to muscle cramps, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm not up on how iron influences copper metabolism. I'll leave that question up to others. It sounds like you should not self-treat with iron if that is the case.

If you have muscle cramps and your potassium is fine, I would want to be sure your magnesium is adequate, and it apparently is. However, it is best to supplement magnesium in several different forms. The first links I gave you were from a doctor who was a director of a magnesium research laboratory who treated himself with high doses of magnesium. I don't know where you could find a more credible source. I know mg oxide has a reputation of not being well absorbed, but it is first on his list, in fact, he calls it "the workhorse."

Also, calcium can interfere with Mg absorption, so you want to separate them by at least 2 hours.

Regarding anemia, yes, it is possible to have multiple deficiencies. The only way to be sure you don't have an iron deficiency is to order a ferritin level. Most doctors will also add an iron and TIBC to that. I'm not aware of low ferritin having any relation to muscle cramps, but I could be wrong. Also, I'm not up on how iron influences copper metabolism. I'll leave that question up to others. It sounds like you should not self-treat with iron if that is the case.
Thanks, I appreciate your advice. I'm going to keep on with the glycinate, and add in some transdermal magnesium -- I'm going to pick up the Life Flo spray today. I thought I would put that directly on my legs. That's interesting about calcium -- I've been consuming a lot more calcium lately. It's hard to get the timing right. I'm adding zinc picolinate into my supplements, and I know that some of the minerals compete for absorption.

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
@datura You may be interested in:
Nutrients 2017, 9(3), 225; doi:10.3390/nu9030225

Micronutrient Status in 153 Patients with Anorexia Nervosa

Nutrition Department, Rouen University Hospital, 76183 Rouen, France
http://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/9/3/225/htm

. At least one trace element deficit was observed in almost half of patients; the most frequent was selenium deficit (40% of patients). At least one vitamin deficit was observed in 45.7% of patients, mostly vitamin A and B9. Albumin, transthyretin and CRP were within normal range in most patients. No correlations were found between body composition and micronutrient status. Our study suggests that micronutrient status is often altered in AN patients, which may contribute to neuropsychiatric dysfunction. Monitoring of micronutrients and correction of deficits should be included in the routine care of AN patients.

Beef liver is known for containing a high concentration of vitamin A -- each slice provides over 400 percent of the recommended daily allowance of vitamin A for an adult -- but it is also a rich source of a variety of essential minerals, including copper, phosphorus, selenium, zinc and iron.
The Minerals in Beef Liver | Healthy Eating | SF Gate
healthyeating.sfgate.com/minerals-beef-liver-6755.html

Beef Liver Nutrition Information | LIVESTRONG.COM
https://www.livestrong.com › Diseases and Conditions
In addition to the iron that prevents anemia, beef liver is a rich source of vitamin A, B vitamins and zinc. Unfortunately ... The problem is in its cholesterol content. ... Zinc is also essential for a healthy immune system and it helps regulate DNA.

@Chocolove -- thanks, that was an interesting read. I worry about oxidative stress even more so because I have a homozygous SOD 2 mutation. I bought some Carlson's liquid cod liver oil yesterday, and I'm going to buy some Brazil nuts as I've read those have over the DV in just a few nuts.

Last edited: