• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FODMAP!!!

hixxy

I have fructose malabsorption so have definitely tried it and it didn't improve anything.

Edit: I'm still on a low FODMAP diet anyway but severe MCAS and EoE likely overshadow any suffering FODMAPs might be producing.

Last edited:

ebethc

One of the problems for me is that it's the total load of toxins/irritants that sets off my immune system... e.g. if the air is super clean and the humidity is low (..or low-ish) and the barometric pressure is steady and it's not too hot/cold, then my digestion is better... It's very chicken vs egg, which, I believe, is common.

Agreed that changing/experimenting w diet is the proverbial "low hanging fruit" and foundational to immune problems

Murph

:)
They say oats are low FODMAPs but I react horribly to oats - phenols.
Rolled Oats, if you eat more than around 80 grams, contain high amounts of FODMAPs.

I'm on a strict low FODMAP diet for the last few years. I didn't notice that eating FODMAPs was the cause of my problems but a) over the years since I cut them out I've seen some improvements and b) If I eat fodmaps now I often get a crash soon after.

fodmaps are basically prebiotics, is my understanding, and they feed your gut bugs. if you have bad gut bugs, you're better off keeping them starved.

wonderoushope

I realised I had issues with FODMAP's after going on the RPAH chemical intolerance diet. I think taking out fodmaps have certainly helped as well as taking out other foods that are an issue, but my fatigue still flares up.

Plum

I have fructose malabsorption so have definitely tried it and it didn't improve anything.

Edit: I'm still on a low FODMAP diet anyway but severe MCAS and EoE likely overshadow any suffering FODMAPs might be producing.
I have this exact same experience! *waves* @hixxy

Jill

I found it v useful for sorting out ibs . Found I had issues with fructans ( all grains ) and fructose .
Have since started ketogenic diet and doing well . It's summer here and I always do better in summer so I'm not sure it's entirely diet related . Not having the loopy ibs whichnive had for 35 odd years is fabulous . Whether just avoiding my fodmaps helps ME I doubt . Keto helps the ME and the ibs . Gotta really watch electrolytes carefully

Bedshaped

Living life on difficult mode: "Godlike"
FODMAP did not do much for me, maybe because I’ve already excluded a lot of different things years before being aware of the concept.