• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Severe palpitations and tachycardia.

Kathevans

have spells where my body jerks me awake all night with my heart beating insanely fast,

In fact, I had a period with body jerks, or twitching all night (there were nights I could count a hundred of them, very disconcerting), and I later came to view them as a symptom of a severe B12 deficiency. I had all sorts of heart issues, as above--for the B1 deficiency, but prior to that, I had both a-fib and tachychardia relieved by the B-12 for a years or so. The whole thing has been a process of healing multiple deficiencies, new ones revealed after I'd quenched others.

Kathevans

what brand / dosage of B1 do you take?

I ramped up Allithiamin for about 4 weeks to 200+mg/day before switching to the Benfotiamine by Doctor's Best at 150n mg/tablet. I played around with slightly higher doses of up to 275mg or so a day, then went back down to 200mg/day for a couple more weeks before lowering it to only about 50mg/day--actually 3x18mg which calls for a lot of splitting capsules!) So far this seems to be enough extra B1 for me to tolerate about 20mg/day of Folate and several sprays of the Adenosyl/MethylB12 Oils. However, I also get about 10 mg of Thiamine HCl in my daily 1/2 B-Complex, B-Minus by Seeking Health, which I take 1/2 of/day in two divided doses. So that's a total of a bit over 60mg/day of B1.

I'm still fiddling around, looking for the balance right now that relieves chills (possibly the Methyl B-12 Oil alone once a day?) amounts of pain (Folate) and my endless sleep issues and IBS. I've only just begun working with L-Carnitine Fumarate. Each thing I take seems to alter the dose of whatever I've already been taking. It's such an individual mystery. Though I do find that Fred's symptoms list helps.

I did have one episode of what I believe was a-fib from the feel of it and felt it was a folate deficiency symptom. This occurred about two weeks into experimentation on the LCarn when I'd been holding my folate to about 16mg/day. After raising my folate to about 18-20mg I haven't had a recurrence of any heart issues.

Believe me, I can see that this is a sort of merry-go-round. I'm getting a little dizzy from it, but I'm trying to be patient.

Last edited:

Athene*

In fact, I had a period with body jerks, or twitching all night (there were nights I could count a hundred of them, very disconcerting), and I later came to view them as a symptom of a severe B12 deficiency. I had all sorts of heart issues, as above--for the B1 deficiency, but prior to that, I had both a-fib and tachychardia relieved by the B-12 for a years or so. The whole thing has been a process of healing multiple deficiencies, new ones revealed after I'd quenched others.
This happened to me for a couple of weeks just recently. I had a magnesium blood result returned on Friday and I'm not even in range. I know serum isn't fully accurate but to be completely out of the range must say something. I did notice that when I began transdermal magnesium a few weeks ago the twitches and full body jerks that I had begun having disappeared. I had begun supplementing vitamin D3 5K daily a few weeks previously so I ended up depleting my magnesium. My potassium need hugely increased too and we need magnesium to keep potassium in the cells. When the body twitches and jerks were happening I was also having (unusually for me) several phases of palpitations, especially at night. These have also disappeared since magnesium though I need more - still very edgy. Problem is my adrenals can't take too much magnesium...Ugh, I am so tired of all this.