• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Esther Crawley - talk 17th Nov Mood disorders Centre, Exeter Uni

halcyon

My understanding is that Crawley rejects the 'false beliefs and deconditioning model' in favour of acknowledging an unspecified biomedical basis for 'CFS', however she strangely advocates therapeutic interventions, namely CBT and GET, based on this unevaluated psychosocial theory.
I have not been able to determine what she actually believes about this disease. All of the research of hers that I've been able to stomach looking at seems purely pragmatic. If anyone can find any discussion of theory in any of her research or talks I'd love to see it.

I have not been able to determine what she actually believes about this disease. All of the research of hers that I've been able to stomach looking at seems purely pragmatic. If anyone can find any discussion of theory in any of her research or talks I'd love to see it.

I agree that her published research, that I have read, focuses on clinical practice rather than any theoretical underpinning, however she has discussed this in interviews with the press. I read her clearly stating that 'CFS' is a biomedical condition that her approaches cured earlier this year. She specifically referred to psycho/behaviour intervention causing neurophysiological changes. However at present I am struggling to remember which round of the PR machine it came in. It was earlier than SMILE publicity. I am not good at remembering time frames, but will comment further when I rember more concrete details.

HowToEscape?

I agree that her published research, that I have read, focuses on clinical practice rather than any theoretical underpinning, however she has discussed this in interviews with the press. I read her clearly stating that 'CFS' is a biomedical condition that her approaches cured earlier this year. She specifically referred to psycho/behaviour intervention causing neurophysiological changes. However at present I am struggling to remember which round of the PR machine it came in. It was earlier than SMILE publicity. I am not good at remembering time frames, but will comment further when I rember more concrete details.

I hope I'm not meandering off topic, but if she states that CFS and ME are the same AND that 2% of the population are affected, it is obfuscation. We're at most 0.5% of the population, and considerably less at ages under 21 Unless there's a pragmatic goal behind said obfuscation, such as personal wealth, reputation and career enhancement.
--- I did not read ... or at least did not comprehend the whole thread, so ... ignore if this is left field.

My understanding is that Crawley rejects the 'false beliefs and deconditioning model' in favour of acknowledging an unspecified biomedical basis for 'CFS', however she strangely advocates therapeutic interventions, namely CBT and GET, based on this unevaluated psychosocial theory.

Crawley seems to confine her theories about the nature of ME to the popular press rather than scientific forums and I have been trying to remember where the most information is available. I have found the following but think there was in the last year or so a newspaper article with more detail on her 'beliefs' about the nature of ME/CFS, so if any one has a more reliable memory than me do let me know where it was:

Esther Crawley's views on ME

"Crawley said she does not consider CFS a psychological illness. If it were, she said, more young patients would be expected to develop low mood or anxiety. But that does not mean psychological therapy will not help, she said."

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-syndrome-treatment-trial-success-netherlands

The approach regularly receives criticism from some activists who argue it treats chronic fatigue syndrome as a disease of the mind.
Prof Crawley said: "A teenager might say, 'You are just trying to change my sleep', but do you know how much biology you actually change?

"Children who come to my clinic have low cortisol [stress hormone] levels in the morning, that is why they feel so terrible; by changing their sleep, we reverse that.

"The stuff we are doing is not a pill, but it might as well be."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37822068

Professor Crawley said: “There is plenty of evidence now to say this is a real illness. But just because this is not a psychological illness, that does not mean psychological therapy cannot help - that is true throughout medicine."

https://www.scotsman.com/news/new-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-treatment-trialled-1-4273699

(Behind pay wall so not read)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...s-hope-for-chronic-fatigue-children-wgj958xz8

Last edited: