• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Symptoms and Cortisol - a causal relationship?

Learner1

i may try this, sort of wanna do cortisol under a doctor's supervision

i mean try pregnenolone
Taking hydrocortisone will get you moving if your body isn't producing enough cortisol. It works pretty well to take small amounts as a physiological replacenent dose.

Taking pregnenolone can help reduce brain fog and it can drop down into cortisol production. However, it can be unpredictable in where it goes. In me, it doesn't help cortisol and instead all goes to estrogen, and in another PWME I've talked with it all went to testosterone for her.

Its a delicate balance...

bertiedog

However, it can be unpredictable in where it goes. In me, it doesn't help cortisol and instead all goes to estrogen, and in another PWME I've talked with it all went to testosterone for her.

This is so true and I think many people aren't aware of how unpredictable taking pregnenolone can be you just don't know where its going to end up. If you have fully functioning pathways (unlikely with our illness) then it could eventually end up as more cortisol but with me it just ends up with more progesterone and never gets to cortisol where its needed it.

Have always had high levels of progesterone even post menopausal because of this issue with the pathway and presumably enzymes that aren't doing their job properly so I just have to take the real thing which for me is 6 mg Prednisolone daily.

Pam

ukxmrv

Perhaps I was too rash. I falsely assumed you hadn't tried these things. For non ME people with life long night owl habits have this completely reversed when spending a couple days camping, think it was in a study.

No idea why the sun in the morning would make you feel sick. Could it be you need to get used to it again?

It seems to be related to the low cortisol as light in the morning (be in sun or artificial) makes the whole thing worse (sickness/shaking, low BP, spots in front of yes. weakness, dizzyness) worse. In the years I was able to work (and in the sunlight) I would throw up in public if I pushed it too much.

Been like that for over 30 years now and other family members are the same. There's no getting used to it sadly. We can tolerate the sun as the day progresses and the symptoms stop.

frozenborderline

that's
Taking hydrocortisone will get you moving if your body isn't producing enough cortisol. It works pretty well to take small amounts as a physiological replacenent dose.

Taking pregnenolone can help reduce brain fog and it can drop down into cortisol production. However, it can be unpredictable in where it goes. In me, it doesn't help cortisol and instead all goes to estrogen, and in another PWME I've talked with it all went to testosterone for her.

that's interesting... ray peat hates estrogenic stuff but loves pregnenolone lol

frozenborderline

does hydrocortisone raise bp? i was under impression pregnenolone caused less side effects than corticosteroids

Learner1

Hydrocortisone hasn't had much of an effect on my blood pressure, which tends to run high due to adrenergic antibodies. People with low BP are put on fludricortisone, aka Florinef, for low BP and POTS.

Pregnenolone didn't seem to improve my cortisol production. It's a little unpredictable which pathway it goes down.

frozenborderline

Hydrocortisone hasn't had much of an effect on my blood pressure, which tends to run high due to adrenergic antibodies. People with low BP are put on fludricortisone, aka Florinef, for low BP and POTS.

Pregnenolone didn't seem to improve my cortisol production. It's a little unpredictable which pathway it goes down.
i have had a couple white coat hypertension episodes but i think overall BP normal but i don't wanna have to monitor it that much