• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I feel like a failure

eric_gladiator

During a large part of my life and had many problems related to stress, low self-esteem and depression .. before getting sick I had been suffering from horrible migraine headaches for years, which I think caused me to use drugs, later I decided to end that life how much I was running out. I decided to do sports, go out a lot, work ... in a short time almost anybody who gave him a faint would fall and from there all problems, at home, in the studios ... I fight a lot and now I see myself as someone who does not I'm worse, my environment now knows I'm sick, some call me mentally ill, others miserable .. I honestly feel a total failure in life, all my dreams, my future are consumed by a disease of which little is known, which affects very few people "statistically", which touched me without knowing why. How hard is life, now is when you realize that you have to value it to the fullest when you are well. I am sorry for my thoughts if they are somewhat pessimistic but it is difficult not to think like that with so much burden and I need to undo with people who know me.

I encourage everyone and a big hug

Aroa

Eric,

You are not a failure !!! You are a Hero.

Our health authorities are a failure, they are responsible for this horrible situation. They should promote good science and fund it accordingly with the disease burden. They should provide the right education to the medical class

I know sometimes we go through bad moments, this is a hard disease but we have to fight !!!

Hugs !!!!

notmyself

you are not a failure my friend..stop judging yourself from what your body can do. you suffering a lot , and is not your fault,some people without health problems are complaining and feel depressed about pointless meaningless things,you are much stronger than them..i am sick aswell, but i don t feel i am a failure, sick as i am ,i'm still better than many in many things..there still no one that can beat me in chess for example,i;m smarter than most of people i now..i am not a failure! you aren't either..i play tennis table with pots and heavy leg pain ,i could barelly stand, i still beat all my friends ...that's because i was extremelly good while healthy,but even now sick i can still beat them...this disease will never take everything from me,cause i was born great,,i am stronger than this..try to think like this..you are much better than you think..belive in yourself..

Shoshana

Northern USA
You FEEL like a failure.
I understand and send support.

Likely all of us here, feel like that, sometimes, it is such a VERY hard life, being sick , so much, and trying to cope with life and other people's views, and our own grief.

I think that we DO FEEL like that, but it is not true fact.
The feeling is real and horrid, but does not mean you or we truly failed.

I am sorry for how difficult it is. But thanks for sharing with us.
So we know that we all feel like that sometimes.
And so that we can give our encouragement back to you.

We can see how hard you have tried, while it is not your fault that you could not succeed more than you have.
You, and others here, probably have succeeded in other ways, more than you and we are often able to realize.

Wonkmonk

Hello Eric, when I hear people saying they are hopeless about CFS, I think it is important to see how much is moving with respect to the disease.

There are scientific articles published in the world's best journals about it, it is getting more and more attention in the media and is more and more accepted.

New treatments are being researched and some of the research is very promising, e.g. the Rituximab trials. Some treatments already known for years have shown very good results in many patients (e.g. Antivirals).

I firmly believe that for CFS patients, especially younger people, now is the worst time ever to give up with so much progress in science and society.

In your other thread, you wrote that you think about trying antivirals, so that's a promising treatment you haven't even tried yet. It has helped so many people. And even if it doesn't work, Rituximab might soon be a standard treatment for CFS that can be tried.

I don't know about the specifics of your situation, except what I read here, but I'm convinced that you are at the beginning of the journey, not the end.

Take Care!

notmyself

Hello Eric, when I hear people saying they are hopeless about CFS, I think it is important to see how much is moving with respect to the disease.

There are scientific articles published in the world's best journals about it, it is getting more and more attention in the media and is more and more accepted.

New treatments are being researched and some of the research is very promising, e.g. the Rituximab trials. Some treatments already known for years have shown very good results in many patients (e.g. Antivirals).

I firmly believe that for CFS patients, especially younger people, now is the worst time ever to give up with so much progress in science and society.

In your other thread, you wrote that you think about trying antivirals, so that's a promising treatment you haven't even tried yet. It has helped so many people. And even if it doesn't work, Rituximab might soon be a standard treatment for CFS that can be tried.

I don't know about the specifics of your situation, except what I read here, but I'm convinced that you are at the beginning of the journey, not the end.

Take Care!

How long do you think will take till rituximab will be available?

Wonkmonk

In the first half of 2018, the RituxME study from Norway will be published and it will likely again show benefits for some patients. I don't know how long it will take, but I remember Prof Edwards doing his first trials with Rituximab for Rheumatoid Arthritis around 2000 and it became an accepted treatment several years later. Given the first trials with Rituximab were in 2011 and this isn't entirely new today, I would expect it to become established in the next 2-3 years (assuming studies continue to find benefits for many patients).

But of course I am not an expert in this area, so your guess is probably as good as mine.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

Take Care!
i wish so much that youre right on this, my friend

Daffodil

I struggled with depression/low self esteem most of my life also, before I became ill. But you are still here and are fighting - that speaks volumes about you as a person. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. In 2 - 3 years, we will have new drugs to combat this illness and you can start your life again. Its never too late for new beginnings.

eric_gladiator

@Aroa
If that is also right, doctors in my case have been a real failure. I have looked at everything and symptoms have not been able to detect a mononucleosis that maybe who knows dealing with some antiviral had the opportunity not to fall into this, because it is what I feel that I have

@tinacarroll27
you're right . Thank you

@notmyself

Big words friend, I also think that despite being quite sick even though I am more intelligent than most of my environment even though they are totally healthy. It hurts me to see how time passes and I in this state that no one understands, I think of everything I could do to be well and what I could achieve. It is so hard all this that only those who have it know what it is.

@Shoshana

Thank you for your words

@Wonkmonk

Certainly it has moved a lot but, how much remains for us to wait? Science in this case does not advance as fast as we need it. We are not faced with a simple chronic headache, a slight fatigue .. we are facing something that severely incapacitates us and the medical authorities even today gives us back without support or anything. If I thought about antivirals in the near future although I no longer have the same hopes as before, maybe if in the past before taking the medication that made me worse, maybe with the antiviral if I could recover more easily since my condition was mild

I do not know if I'm right, but rituximab I think I stop being an option, right?

@andyguitar

but how long could the wait be ...

@Daffodil

I already talked to you on a few occasions. Why are you so sure that this can happen? Scientifically speaking, researchers still do not know much about what causes it, so it would be difficult to reach an effective treatment

neweimear

I struggled with depression/low self esteem most of my life also, before I became ill. But you are still here and are fighting - that speaks volumes about you as a person. Do not let anyone tell you otherwise. In 2 - 3 years, we will have new drugs to combat this illness and you can start your life again. Its never too late for new beginnings.
Oh my God daffodil I so hope that is true, how we would treasure our improved health

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
you're not a failure... against a rain of fire, coughing the ashes that rise from the soil of the wasteland, steady you advance, to a better future, far away... YOU'RE A WARRIOR