• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Bedside Chats with Ben: Ron Davis

halcyon

Ron: Well for example we have 20 patients and we were looking for evidence of a viral infection and we were looking for virus particles in the blood. We didn’t find any that were pathogenic viruses. I was a little surprised at that. So many patients say they have hhv-6 or hhv-7 active infections. No, we couldn’t find any evidence of that. We looked for DNA in the blood which means it will come from any site. A lot of people say that doesn’t mean anything. Maybe it is not in the blood but if there is an infection anywhere in the body it is now in the blood. As one of our advisors Ron Thompkins says that blood is the sewer of the body. Everything gets dumped in there. It (the body) has to dump it in the blood to get rid of it. It doesn’t just stay in the body. It cleans out everything, so...
@Ben H @Janet Dafoe (Rose49)
The bulk of the evidence from the literature and epidemiological data over the last 83 years points to enterovirus as the cause, not herpes viruses.

1) Were enteroviruses looked for in this study? If yes, what methodology was used?

2) How were the samples collected, stored, and processed for this study? Was the blood drawn immediately into an RNA preservative to protect fragile viral RNA from RNase activity in the blood sample?

3) What blood fractions were tested in this study? Serum/plasma only or was buffy coat also included?

Yes, the blood is a sewer, but it's not benign. Viral genomic material will be subject to enzymatic degradation and phagocytosis by leukocytes. If you really care to track this down, look towards the past evidence. Enterovirus antigen (VP1) has been found in the blood of ME patients repeatably.

ash0787

It is well known issue but can be very time consuming. It can take decades, though I think modern tech should have reduced that time a lot. Its about finding one type of molecule out of many thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands. If you had a known target it binds to, which we do not, it would be much simpler. You could bind it to a tagged target and then isolate it.

well ye, the process was already described its just that I thought they could already print these electrode things onto paper or at least somehow clean the original ones, and that the test would take 5 or 10 minutes each time, but actually he said it take an hour.

so if they only have like 5 of them and it take 1 hour to do it and 2 hours to clean it, say they work 9 hours per day then they can only do 15 experiment per day but it need to be done thousands of times to get the truth, maybe thats why ron is not focusing entirely on that line of inquiry, perhaps he could find a way to prove these 'viruses' that people keep talking about, but I thought that would already be covered by the big data study, also I wonder what happened to ritux trial supposed to be revealed.

alex3619

so if they only have like 5 of them and it take 1 hour to do it and 2 hours to clean it, say they work 9 hours per day then they can only do 15 experiment per day but it need to be done thousands of times to get the truth
The main issue is not the testing. Its the isolation of substances. If you cannot isolate things to be tested then you cannot do a proper test. If we knew specifically which protein or other substance it was, and could isolate a sample, we would probably have a confirmation or disconfirmation within a week.

Would someone like to summarise the main issues discussed into 3 or 4 points for a image to share on social media? I think it would be useful for those who don't have time or the cognitive energy to listen to the whole interview.

I'm playing around with some ideas for graphics and thought portraits of the main characters in ME/CFS advocacy and research may be useful, so today I drafted this image of Prof Davis below.

Attachments

• Ron-Davis-Small-DRaft.png
    Ron-Davis-Small-DRaft.png
    82.5 KB · Views: 15