• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unexpected weight gain under supplementation

pattismith

last few days I gain 300-400 g per day (0.66 to 0.88 pounds).

I was 51.5 kg a month ago, and I am now 54.3 kg (113 pounds to 119.7).

I also notice decreased urination, so it may be water retension;

I also read that a study showed that under Benfotiamine + B6 + B12, 8% of people had weight gain.

I moved from B6 to P5P about a month ago so I wonder if it may be the cause...

I am not hungry.

Any one on PR experienced this?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Any one on PR experienced this?

Not that I know of, but I've had to watch every bite I put in my mouth for years because I'm so sedentary due to PEM, and gain weight at the drop of a hat. I have been taking P-5-P and B12 for several years and a year or 2 ago added in B1 and lately added in benfotiamine as well. So TBH I can't really tell if these affected my weight at all, although they have helped my energy. Can you post a link to the study showing weight gain?

I recently tried adding in some biotin and it seemed to boost my energy (I think thyroid) a bit, it was very nice, and then my always problematic sleep got even worse so had to stop it - arrggghhh! We can't win! :bang-head:

pattismith

thank you for answering @Mary

I don't find the study itself, but it is quoted in this document :thumbsup:

I guess I am going to pay much attention to what I put in my mouth too, and consider an endocrine check up if it doesn't resolve!

I also haven't experienced that.
Are you taking magnesium? Vitamin B1 depletes my magnesium. Don't know if magnesium deficiency is related to weight gain though..

pattismith

I think I found the answer to the mystery of my sudden surge of feminity :D

I have added a soy Lecithin supplement some weeks ago...:whistle:

Estrogens in the daily diet: in vitro analysis indicates that estrogenic activity is omnipresent in foodstuff and infant formula.

Abstract
Food is a main source of exposure to endocrine active compounds, many of which have been linked to adverse health effects. Phytoestrogens, especially from soy, are the major dietary source of estrogenicity. However, foodstuff contains a variety of estrogen-like compounds that might not be detected analytically. To assess the total estrogenic activity of foodstuff, we employed the Yeast Estrogen Screen (YES). We analyzed 18 food samples and five milk-based infant formulas. Soy-based products contained potent estrogenicity of 100-1500ng estradiol equivalents per kilogram (EEQ/kg). The estrogenicity in soy-free products was far lower (10-40ng EEQ/kg). We also detected significant estrogenic activity in three infant formulas (14-22ng EEQ/kg). Furthermore, we found soy lecithin to be strongly estrogenic. It might, therefore, be a major contributor to total estrogenicity. We conclude that dietary estrogens are omnipresent and not limited to soy-based food. In an exposure assessment we calculated a total dietary intake of 27.5 and 34.0ng EEQ/d for adults and 1.46ng EEQ/d for infants. While the dietary exposure to estrogenic activity is lower than previously estimated, our results demonstrate that many food types are a source of unidentified estrogen-like compounds still awaiting toxicological evaluation.

pattismith

NOW brand makes sunflower lecithin that might work as an alternative. iHerb and Vitacost both sell it.

I shifted to sunflower lecithine, and it solved the "front bumper" problem...:)
but I still need to be very carefull with calory intake to keep my weight from raising more.

I did an endocrino blood panel, and the only thing out of ranges was free T3, slightly low...(fT4 and TSH perfectly fine, and far from the high level range)

When I was 20 years old (30 years ago), I still knew something was wrong with my energy store, so I went to an endocrino doc telling him I had abnormal fatigue, low blood pressure, and that I was wondering if my thyroid function was normal.... He did me the usual thryroid panel and concluded my thryroid was fine, and that's it.

Since then I had some other control with nothing wrong showing up (just some TPO antibodies, but it's not equivalent to hypothyroidism), anyway I was still thinking that my symptoms were matching with a thyroid issue.

I don't have all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, but my brain symptoms, muscles symptoms and energy issue do match well, and now sudden weight gain...

After all these years without help, I have already done two or three trials with some thyroid hormons supplementations, but I always gave up after a few days because of unwilling side effects.

Now that my condition have worsened and that I have some more hypothyroidism symptoms, even if I perfectly know I don't have hypothyroidism, I'm ready for a new trial with thyroid hormons!:)

I will keep an update of what is happening...