• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Protein problems

Graham

Senior Moment
Does anyone have any insights into a problem with protein digestion?

A friend has been getting overwhelming panic attacks and muscle cramps for some time now, which do respond to a certain extent to Beta-blockers or benzo. This friend accidentally found out that reducing protein intake reduced symptoms. Cutting out meat portions for 2 years meant no symptoms, but also a steady weight loss.

Blood tests, including endocrine levels, are normal - could it be a brain/autoimmune thing?

This is something I am looking at in my own diet I get really bad anxiety from high protein meals especially chicken and turkey.I am beginning to wonder if it's down to l- tyrosine raising dopamine levels to high and knocking everything out of sync.

People who try to increase their protein intake for various reason will add digestive enzyme which help them assimilate protein more efficiently.

That's a point .....I used to take Lactobacillus bulgaricus which helped.I also found out it's good for reducing ammonia levels.It can raise histamine levels and although it's good for me (I have low histamine) it may not be good for others