• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is going on with my Basal Body temp?

Hi everyone

I have low bbt and it pretty much stays that way all day and night from when I have checked. I am charting my bbt as I am trying to prevent another pregnancy, I no longer have PCOS. I do have irregular periods. I am not on any meds.

It is 35.4 this morning and this afternoon 35.2 the NHS say hypothermia is anything under 35 degrees so what can I do to raise it?

I am feeling the cold today but im under a duvet with fluffy socks on.

I am a type 2 diabetic that reversed it actually so I have normal blood sugar levels, my blood pressure has come down as I have been on a lower carb (130g a day) diet but I think this had been good for other things and bad for my temp and my fatigue is terrible short of breath too when I stand up, I also suspect some POTS activity for sure. I can not walk much outside either.

I find it hard to keep the fatigue happy while trying to manage blood sugar , blood pressure and body temp as it recommends eating more carbs to help the bbt thing

Plum

My understanding is that low bbt is adrenal issues and / or thyroid issues. The NHS does not recognise adrenal fatigue but it can be tested for privately if normal blood tests don't show anything.

I had low body temperature when I was at my most ill about 5 years. It is normal now after starting mold avoidance over a year ago. I agree First step would be to check thyroid and adrenals.

Thanks guys I'm scared . I had no idea this was happening no wonder I feel so ill...

My temperature was under 35 after cooking in kitchen ( I stopped as I had my usual crash ) it apparently classed as hypothermia then but after taking myself to rest it back to 35 odd degrees

JaimeS

was reading about the cfs research on hypometabolics , could this be why this is happening to my body temp?

It's possible.

Early stages of responses to infection include a drop in mito activity, which means a drop in body temp (or so goes the speculation). Still, that is awfully low (below 95F for our American readers)!

@Mel -- yep, mine too. Worst I ever had I watched my body temp drop dramatically over 5 minutes and then climb rapidly over the next 15 until I had a high fever. But this is what is 'supposed' to happen in response to infection... it's just much more pronounced for us, it seems.

thanks for all the replies, i totally struggle with orthostatic intolerance will need to look about for advice on here :)

It seems I am in a constant PEM and have no idae how to stop that feeling as I feel like I dont do that much and I am mostly housebound but I do have to preare food for me and my 4 year old and care for her during the day :)