• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prebiotics make you worse or better?

Cinders66

Has anyone had good or bad effects from prebiotics? Prebiotics are supposed to feed good bacteria, especially in this case bifido strains I'm taking bimuno powder

https://www.bimuno.com/bimuno-powder

To try to improve my sleep. It seems to have but on the second day on it I've woken up feeling worse with worse function. It's always difficult to know if it's a just an unexpected bad day or is being caused by the new powder. Has anyone else experienced this and does it get better or worse? I can't afford to get worse. Does anyone know why it could be making me feel worse when it's supposed to make your gut healthier? I had gut analysis and my bifido bacteria were not growing.

Does prebiotic feed had bacteria too? Thanks.

ivorin

Prebiotics don't just feed one strain unfortunately, depensing on the ingredients, other genera will be affected too. But if it's not too unpleasant stick with it for a while and then test again to see the effects.

For more exact data check Ken Lassesen's blog CFS remission that looks at gut issues more in-depth.

ljimbo423

Has anyone had good or bad effects from prebiotics?

I started taking inulin and acacia fiber a few weeks ago. It has improved my IBS and my energy level some. I have experienced die-off from it though.

I started at 500mg and went up 500mg at a time. The die-off wasn't severe but it was enough to make me reconsider going up 500mg at a time.;)

Does anyone know why it could be making me feel worse when it's supposed to make your gut healthier?

My understanding of that, is that the prebiotics primarily feed the good bacteria. As the good bacteria grow in numbers they crowd out the bad bacteria. Causing them to die and toxins from the bad bacteria's cellular membrane, get absorbed into the bloodstream and cause an immune reaction and symptoms.

Does prebiotic feed had bacteria too?

I think prebiotics do feed bad bacteria too, just to a lesser degree than the good bacteria. I went on a low cab diet and took antibiotic herbs for 6 months before I started to take prebiotics.

I wanted to make sure the bad bacteria levels were lowered. I knew I had very high levels of bad bacteria from testing. You might want to lower the dose of prebiotics you are taking and see how you feel.

Jim