• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How often do you get twitching eyelids & for how long?

Plum

I get a twitching eyelid or sometimes twitching leg muscle when low on magnesium.... happens randomly as I supplement now. The longest lasted 2 months. But usually a few days to a week or 2. Last time was a few days ago. Before that a few months ago.

pattismith

I never had twitching eyelids again since I started to take proper amount of oral magnesium ;)

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
I had it a few time for brief periods of times, but now that you mention it, I had a twitching eyelid for almos two months, but thinking abiut it, I stopped recently, perhaps two weeks ago. How are twitching eyelids related to ME? What I found more interesting is that at the begining of the disease, I had for a long time a difficulty to close one of my eyes, to the point that I needed to lie that side of my head on the pillow in order to close the eye and sleep. Anybody experienced this? Any info about being related to ME/CFS?

I rarely get eyelid or lip twitching anymore, but copper would make it go away very quickly so I believe it was catecholamine-related.

Seven7

Seven
I have been struggling with this as of late, it coincides with me starting oil of magnesium as deodorant (so I know it is not lack magnesium) So I think in my case is that I am unbalancing the potassium by taking magnesium alone. I just need to find a way to add the potassium and see (I cannot do bananas).

Magnesium supplements get rid of twitching for me. I use magnesium citrate supplements - my dose varies from 200mg per day up to 400mg per day. I just wish they were a bit smaller and easier to swallow. I keep meaning to look for a powder version of magnesium citrate I can put into water.

Magnesium supplements aren't all created equal. Some are barely absorbable, some have laxative properties, some can be absorbed through the skin, some must be swallowed. Do a google search for "best and worst forms of magnesium" and choose something that appeals to you, if you want to try it.

TakMak

Coughs and sneezles spread diseasels
I've had ME for 18 years but for the first 16 years the only parts of me that would twitch were my eyelids and my big toe. The eyelid twitching would typically last for four or five seconds and would re-occur every few minutes. It tended to last over a period of several days but then would stop for days, weeks or even months. I'm not sure what triggers it. Mostly it was hard to spot but sometimes the big and uncomfortable ones would be obvious to people around me. I would normally just close the eye affected, it was mostly my right but not always, and wait for it to pass.

Two years ago, which coincided with a whole raft of new neurological type symptoms, other parts of my body decided to join in the fun, various toes and both little fingers being the worst affected. But I had other small flickers around my arms, back and legs. Often they'd only last a few seconds and wouldn't appear in the same place again. But sometimes they would go on for several hours. Thankfully, they seemed to have settled down a bit of late.

That said, because of this thread, I've just bought some some magnesium supplements. We'll see how that goes.

Jenny

I have this - twitches last 30 secs or so every 15 mins or so. This will go on for a week or so, then disappear. It doesn't seem to be related to relapses - they come irrespective of how I'm feeling otherwise. And I take Mg all the time and that doesn't help. Just another mystery.

pattismith

Magnesium supplements get rid of twitching for me. I use magnesium citrate supplements - my dose varies from 200mg per day up to 400mg per day. I just wish they were a bit smaller and easier to swallow. I keep meaning to look for a powder version of magnesium citrate I can put into water.

Magnesium supplements aren't all created equal. Some are barely absorbable, some have laxative properties, some can be absorbed through the skin, some must be swallowed. Do a google search for "best and worst forms of magnesium" and choose something that appeals to you, if you want to try it.

I take currently Magnesium citrate 200 mg x 3 times per day, and it seems fine. :thumbsup: