• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ovarian cyst - It feels like it's going to rupture soon

bspg

Plant Queen
I suffer from ovarian cysts and I've had two that ruptured over the last few years. Even before they ruptured, they landed me in the ER many times due to horrible pain.

I can feel that I have another one now and it's starting to get really uncomfortable. I think it's going to rupture soon and I don't know what to do. Doctors always tell me they're just a thing that happens and there's nothing I can do except get on hormonal birth control. I cannot tolerate hormonal BC though - it turns me into a crazy person. IUD's are also a no-go for me as well :(

Anyone here suffer with cysts? What do you do about them?

Learner1

I suffer from ovarian cysts and I've had two that ruptured over the last few years. Even before they ruptured, they landed me in the ER many times due to horrible pain.

I can feel that I have another one now and it's starting to get really uncomfortable. I think it's going to rupture soon and I don't know what to do. Doctors always tell me they're just a thing that happens and there's nothing I can do except get on hormonal birth control. I cannot tolerate hormonal BC though - it turns me into a crazy person. IUD's are also a no-go for me as well :(

Anyone here suffer with cysts? What do you do about them?
I had a ruptured cyst that landed me in the hospital, then 15 years later, the same ovary ruptured, with stage 3 cancer.

I'd advise getting your hormones dialed down... I am now cancer free, but have to be extremely careful of hormones.

We use a DUTCH test to measure all hormone metabolites, and I take a lot of bioidentical progesterone, and a little pregnenolone, DHEA, testosterone, and estriol. Therefore both oral and cream firms of the various hormones, so you may do better with one version over another. And, stay away from any hormone that came from a pregnant horse...

SHBG is good to messure, too, and knowing your SNPs for COMT and CYP1B1 can be helpful, too. And ensuring methylation is working well.

Hope you feel better soon.

Misfit Toy

@bspg -I had endometriosis and always had ruptured cysts to the point of having my ovary removed. I was told be several docs that I needed a hysterectomy. What stopped them for me...cysts...TCM.

Traditional Chinese Medicine, in particular the herbs. You want to get to someone who knows what they are doing. Once a week, or twice a month. When it comes to cysts, the herbs are what treats it, not the acupuncture so much.

Honestly, the herbs saved my life as far as dealing with pain. My endometriosis totally went away on the herbs and I had one of the worst cases that doctor's on the East and West coast ever saw.

bspg

Plant Queen
Wow, that's impressive @Misfit Toy! I know a lot of women who suffer with Endo...I don't think any of them have tried TCM for it. Or if they have, they've never mentioned it. Im really glad it worked for you! :)

Any chance you remember what the herbs were (just out of curiosity)?

I ended up calling a nurse line tonight because I was really uncomfortable and they said I should go to the ER just to make sure it was only a cyst. I went in. An ultrasound showed that it was a cyst, and apparently had already ruptured. They gave me 600mg Ibuprofen and sent me on my way.

This one isn't nearly as painful as others I've had but my pelvis feels so full of fluid. I can only lie in certain positions without feeling pain and pressure, like a full bladder that I cannot relieve. Sigh. :grumpy:

Also, it's really annoying that every time this happens, the ER docs and nurses insist it's normal and shrug it off. Its not normal. Small, asymptomatic cysts (as part of the natural menstrual cycle) are normal. Large, painful, recurring ones are not.

bspg

Plant Queen
Thus is interesting @PatJ. I already have hashimoto's disease so I have to take it easy on iodine. I believe I'm only taking 100mcg daily but maybe I'll add a little iodized salt and see if I notice any difference.

Misfit Toy

Any chance you remember what the herbs were (just out of curiosity)?

Hey there, if your friends were really up on endometriosis or had any of the Endometriosis Association books, they would know that TCM is the #1 remedy to try along with diet to calm down or even rid themselves of cysts, etc.

The herbs were all written in Chinese. Can you see a TCM doc who prescribes herbs? It really helped my adrenals also.

Shoshana

Northern USA
I had them, and I remember how very painful they would get!

I was going to suggest going and having an ultrasound , so you could be assured that this present one is fluid and not cancerous... then I read your post that you did that.
I am glad. It was worth your trip to the ER, even though I wish they would treat you/us with greater respect, (and they must know it is VERY painful) .... but at least you took good care of yourself! ANd found out that it is fluid and what point it is at, and that means it will likely be feeling better soon.

I do not know how to prevent recurrences.

You might find this interesting :

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3184057/?

Ignored adult primary hypothyroidism presenting chiefly with persistent ovarian cysts: a need for increased awareness

Abstract
Background
Ovarian cysts are a common cause for gynecological surgery. However, some cysts are a direct result of endocrine disorders and do not require surgery. This report describes an unusual case in which persistent ovarian cysts are associated with primary hypothyroidism in a young woman. The data were collected by history-taking, physical examination, laboratory tests, ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging and a histo-pathological study. In addition, the exons of the gene encoding the human follicle-stimulating hormone receptor were sequenced.

Discussion
The patient had markedly elevated levels of thyroid-stimulating hormone and follicle-stimulating hormone and an enlarged pituitary gland. After treatment with thyroid hormone replacement, regression of the enlarged pituitary and the ovarian cysts was observed. The possible mechanisms of the pathophysiology are discussed below.

Summary
It is necessary to consider hypothyroidism and other endocrine disorders in the differential diagnosis of adult patients with ovarian multiple cyst formation in order to prevent inadvertent ovarian surgery.

Gingergrrl

I ended up calling a nurse line tonight because I was really uncomfortable and they said I should go to the ER just to make sure it was only a cyst. I went in. An ultrasound showed that it was a cyst, and apparently had already ruptured. They gave me 600mg Ibuprofen and sent me on my way.

I haven't had this happen to me but am sorry you are going through this right now, on top of everything else, @bspg and hope you are feeling better soon!

Misfit Toy

Bsbq, do you live in the states? There has to be one around or near you. I can't strongly recommend the herbs enough. I was in horrific pain when I went to one and I did not believe it would work. Nothing worked. Lupron did not work, birth control pills made me worse. The herbs were amazing.

Within one week, all pain was gone. I had never had anything like it. For years, a decade, I was in awful pain have a laparoscopy once a year. Every surgery made my endometriosis and scar tissue worse.

I know the name of one herb was E Zhu, again, Chinese..but there were many herbs in a concoction.

The TCM doc I went to was Chinese and she told me, "Acupuncture helps, but herbs are the true answer for endo."

So, I like you can't take hormones. I do not do well on anything except for progesterone (topical) but herbs have no hormones in them. None.

They clear the kidney's, the liver, spleen...

I would never keep recommending this, I just couldn't believe how much it turned my menstrual cycle, my sleep, my pain...into such a better place. I could function.

I know it's expensive or can be, but if you go to one and find out the herbs (if they work) I live near Chinatown in Philadelphia where I can get the herbs for you for nothing. As in...not expensive.

bspg

Plant Queen
@Misfit Toy Yes, I do live in the states. It looks like the TCM clinic is still around and it has good reviews. I'll look into it more. :tulip:

Also, your experience sounds incredible. I wonder if there are other herbs that could be beneficial for any of your current health issues?

Thanks for all of the input everyone! :)

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I already have hashimoto's disease so I have to take it easy on iodine.

Staphanie Buist has an alternate view of Iodine use with Hashimotos in her iodine book, freely available here.

An excerpt from her book:
Why does iodine work for Hashimotos?
There are many healthcare professionals that are warning of the terrible consequences for
those with Hashimotos who take high doses of iodine. But they are VERY wrong. The lack of
iodine is actually part of the reason as to why Hashimotos has occurred. Iodine is needed to
support the body in balancing this autoimmune condition. There are several things that you
need to look at and consider when listening to these doctors warnings.

a. How much iodine do they discuss? In most cases they discuss microgram (mcg) or low
milligram (mg) dosing in the examples they site that had outcomes resulting in disaster.
Yes, this is exactly what may happen. In some individuals when given microgram
amounts you do “stoke the fire” and cause an increase in antibody attack on the thyroid
gland. That’s not what we teach.

b. Where do they stop their discussion? In watching many videos and reading the articles
of the doctors sounding the alarm, they take iodine through the biological process in the
gland where iodine enters the cell and is oxidated from iodide to iodine and then they
exclaim – “See the oxidation creates inflammation and that increases antibodies.” Right
again! But there is one problem. The body’s process doesn’t stop there. When iodine
is supplied in levels OVER what is needed to create thyroid hormones there is a magical
substance that is created called iodolipids. These iodolipids are the regulatory factor on
the oxidation process. Iodolipids, when created, will put the brakes on the oxidative
process before it runs out of control and “burns” the cells creating an inflammatory response. The body sees inflammation / abnormal cells and creates and antibody attack
against them as a natural response. The key is to stop this from occurring.

c. Where they go wrong. Dr Brownstein has written about this in his book "Iodine Why you
Need it Why You Can’t Live Without It." He has determined that when iodine is supplied
in amounts 100x the RDA of 150 mcg (or 15 mgs) that the body will begin to create
these iodolipids. So you can see that giving microgram amounts causes a big issue for
those with Hashimotos. In this case the mantra of “low and slow” can actually create a
bigger issue. This causes many to give up on iodine because their condition seems to
worsen. So the next time you see a doctor or listen to one that discusses the dangers of
high doses of iodine for Hashimotos ask them…. “What about the iodolipids?”