• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin C

I wondered if anyone had any knowledge about Vitamin C? I currently take 6grams a day, and get a boost of energy in the 2 hours after I take each dose.

Is there any risk to taking this much?

I ask because I have low ceruloplasmin and low serum copper and do not want to negatively affect my copper situation.

drob31

I think it's one of the safest things you can take. Many recommend you try to reach bowel tolerance.

Amoung all of the things it does, some of the most overlooked are mild thinning of the blood (most people have sticky blood), and this allows for better oxygen delivery. It also upregulates tyrosine hydroxylase which is the rate limiting enzyme that coverts tyrosine to dopamine.

@drob31 very interesting i did not know about its effect on tyrosine hydroxylase. I worry that by taking Vitamin C I am effecting my copper situation. The low ceruloplasmin and plasma copper suggest not enough is bioavailable and I dont want to make that worse!

pamojja

I worry that by taking Vitamin C I am effecting my copper situation. The low ceruloplasmin and plasma copper suggest not enough is bioavailable and I dont want to make that worse!

High dose ascorbic acid (23 g/d for 9 years) didn't lower my copper. But it's always better to go for sure and measure it repeatedly when taking high doses.

ChrisD

Vitamin C is my go to on a 'bad day'/crash, typically on these days I will go for a high dose to test bowel tolerance and in turn lower that overwhelming inflammation. But day to day I take around 4-6g.

kangaSue

Contrary to popular belief, you can overdose on Vitamin C, particularly when you are having an "overdose" rate on a daily basis and can be as low as only 250mg per day but usually involves higher megadoses.

You don't get a sudden acute event, more a gradual change in mineral ratios or the progressive lowering of other essential elements which, over time, can result in the development of moderate to serious medical problems.

I've been taking a daily 500mg tablet for 16 years and only just realized last week from stopping it for a few days that I had a marked improvement in GI system upset and abdominal pain symptoms and starting back on the tablet only 1/4 of it brought back the symptoms within an hour.

My Vit C level spiked to being way above the reference level coinciding with an increase in the GI symptoms almost 3 years ago but none of the several doctors I mentioned it to thought there was any issue to worry about.
http://www.acu-cell.com/vitc.html

NelliePledge

I used to get regular minor acid reflux at night til I read Dr Myhills info about vitamin C helping improve gut health I don't take very high dose just 1g am and 1g before bed. I can say that since I first started taking the vitamin C I've not had reflux at all.

drob31

I take 6-8 grams a day. It helps allot more when I take it then if I don;t

pamojja

High dose ascorbic acid (23 g/d for 9 years) didn't lower my copper. But it's always better to go for sure and measure it repeatedly when taking high doses.

Contrary to popular belief, you can overdose on Vitamin C, particularly when you are having an "overdose" rate on a daily basis and can be as low as only 250mg per day but usually involves higher megadoses.

You don't get a sudden acute event, more a gradual change in mineral ratios or the progressive lowering of other essential elements which, over time, can result in the development of moderate to serious medical problems.

Checked all my serum, whole blood and hair tissue mineral tests of the last 9 years again. No progressive lowering of essential elements - quite a few actually improved substantially. No further development of serious medical problems - but in fact improvement or even remission (a 60% walking disability) of a number of serious medical conditions (PAD, COPD1, CKD1, T2D).

Of course, we are all different with different preconditions. However, the increase of your GI symptoms with such a low dose of vitamin C does indeed points to other issues. In no way does it give evidence to your blund statement reposed above, about alleged serious dangers of long-term high dose vitamin C.

Popular belief isn't the same as personal experience. And from personal experience I must say everyone taking vitamin C has an acute threshold where GI symptoms start (usually a watery bowel movement with accompanying discomfort). It's called 'bowel intolerance' and can be very different for everyone, and in different situations. From a few hundred milligrams up to 100s of gram a day. If one stays below ones individual bowel intolerance no overdose - short or long term - is possible.

Learner1

Vitamin C is good for many things:

https://riordanclinic.org/2014/02/h...s-a-successful-treatment-of-viral-infections/

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/01/170109134014.htm

https://irp.nih.gov/pi/mark-levine

Vitamin C also works in concert with other antioxidants as part of "the Antioxidant Network," a term coined by Lester Packet who ran the world's premier antioxidant lab at UC Berkeley for many years. His book is a good read:

https://www.amazon.com/Antioxidant-Miracle-Lipoic-Pycnogenol-Vitamins/dp/B000FNW8XO

perchance dreamer

I do take vitamin C, but have to avoid it in the late afternoon and evening because it gives me insomnia taken that late.

nsdn

1 gram several times a day seems to be the best. Look attached.

Attachments

• absorcion vit c.PNG
    absorcion vit c.PNG
    41.3 KB · Views: 21

pamojja

1 gram several times a day seems to be the best. Look attached.

If you search for the studies that draw that plot one will find they tested doses up to 2.2 gram only, and extrapolated for the higher doses (up to 12 gram). However, found one other study which actually measured ascorbic acid serum levels from 0 to 20 gram per day, and found serum levels only thought possible via vitamin C IVs:

Journal of the New Zealand Medical Association, 23-August-2002, Vol 115 No 1160

Glycohaemoglobin and ascorbic acid

Copplestone et al1 (http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/) identified misleading glycohaemoglobin (GHb) results due to a haemoglobin variant (Hb D Punjab) and listed a number of other possible causes for such false results (ie, haemolytic anaemia, uraemia, lead poisoning, alcoholism, high-dose salicylates and hereditary persistence of foetal haemoglobin).

We have observed a significant "false" lowering of GHb in animals and humans supplementing ascorbic acid (AA) at multigram levels. Mice receiving ~7.5 mg/d (equivalent to > 10 g/day in a 70 kg human) exhibited no decrease in plasma glucose, but a 23% reduction in GHb.2 In humans, supplementation of AA for several months did not lower fasting plasma glucose.3,4 We studied 139 consecutive consenting non-diabetic patients in an oncology clinic. The patients had been encouraged as part of their treatment to supplement AA. Self-reported daily intake varied from 0 to 20 g/day. The plasma AA levels ranged from 11.4 to 517 µmol/L and correlated well with the reported intake. Regression analysis of their GHb and plasma AA values showed a statistically significant inverse association (eg, each 30 µmol/L increase in plasma AA concentration resulted in a decrease of 0.1 in GHb).

A 1 g oral dose of AA can raise plasma AA to 130 µmol/L within an hour and such doses at intervals of about two hours throughout the day can maintain ~230 µmol AA/L.5 Similar levels could also be achieved by use of sustained-release AA tablets. This AA concentration would induce an approximate 0.7 depression in GHb. The GHb assay used in our study, affinity chromatography, is not affected by the presence of AA.3 Thus, unlike the case with Hb D Punjab, our results were not caused by analytical method artifact. More likely, the decreased GHb associated with AA supplementation appears related to an in vivo inhibition of glycation by the elevated plasma AA levels, and not a decrease in average plasma glucose.3 If this is true, the effect has implications not only for interpretation of GHb but also for human ageing, in which glycation of proteins plays a prominent role in age-related degenerative changes.

A misleading GHb lowering of the magnitude we observed can be clinically significant. Current recommendations for diabetics suggest that GHb be maintained at 7, a level that is associated with acceptable control and decreased risk of complications; when GHb exceeds 8, re-evaluation of treatment is necessary.6 Moreover, relatively small increases in average blood sugar (ie, GHb) can accompany adverse reproductive effects. A difference in mean maternal GHb of 0.8 was found for women giving birth to infants without or with congenital malformations.7 In either of these circumstances, an underestimation of GHb could obscure the need for more aggressive intervention.

Vitamin usage is common in New Zealand and after multivitamins, AA is the most often consumed supplement.8 Moreover, diabetics are encouraged to supplement antioxidants, including AA. Thus, it seems prudent for primary care health providers to inquire regarding the AA intake of patients, especially diabetics, when using GHb for diagnosis or treatment monitoring.

Cheryl A Krone
Senior Research Scientist
John TA Ely
Director
Applied Research Institute
PO Box 1925
Palmerston North

References:

• Copplestone S, Mackay R, Brennan S. Normal glycated haemoglobin in a patient with poorly controlled diabetes mellitus and haemoglobin D Punjab: implications for assessment of control. NZ Med J 2002;115(1157). URL: http://www.nzma.org....al/115-1157/25/
  • Krone CA, Ely JTA. Vitamin C and glycohemoglobin revisited. Clin Chem 2001;47(1):148.
  • Davie SJ, Gould BJ, Yudkin JS. Effect of vitamin C on glycosylation of proteins. Diabetes 1992;41(2):167–73.
  • Paolisso G, Balbi V, Bolpe C, et al. Metabolic benefits deriving from chronic vitamin C supplementation in aged non-insulin dependent diabetics. J Am Coll Nutr 1995; 14(4):387–392.
  • Lewin S. Vitamin C: Its Molecular Biology and Medical Potential. New York: Academic Press; 1976.
  • Kenealey T, Braatvedt G, Scragg R. Screening for type 2 diabetes in non-pregnant adults in New Zealand: practice recommendations. NZ Med J 2002;115(1152):194–6.
  • Rosenn B, Miodovnik M, Dignan PS, et al. Minor congenital malformation in infants of insulin-dependent diabetic women: association with poor glycemic control. Obstet Gynecol 1990;76:745–9.
  • Allen T, Thomson WM, Emmerton LM, Poulton R. Nutritional supplement use among 26-year-olds. N Z Med J 2000;113(1113):274–7.

Emphasis added by me. It's an all to easy to settle disagreement, since it is so cheap to test one own's levels :)

Tammy

I've taken Ester C regularly.........about 5-6 grams daily for the past several years with no problems.