• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hybrid concierge medical practice that takes Medicare

Mary

Moderator Resource
I just came across this today for the first time. I've heard of concierge practices where patients pay a monthly fee for premium service in addition to the charges for office visits, etc. though I never knew one could enroll if you were on Medicare (although I couldn't afford it anyways)

However, today I discovered a practice that has 2 doctors: one has something called a "hybrid insurance subscription practice" where you pay $150 month subscription fee - it's a concierge practice, like the concierge practices, but the other doctor has something called a "hybrid insurance surcharge" practice. There is no monthly fee for this one, but you are charged something called a "holistic surcharge fee" - so for a doctor visit less than 20 minutes, you pay $75 + Medicare or insurance copays and for extended visits, the charge is $150 plus any copays.

Ordinarily to see a doctor like this would cost around $500 + for the initial visit. It's an integrative/functional medicine practice, they're both D.O.s and do regular medical care as well as nutritional IVs and other things. I'm seriously considering making an appointment with the insurance surcharge doctor. I would like to get more testing done and have been unable to find a doctor who takes Medicare who knows anything about ME/CFS.

I think it's a pretty creative solution. I rarely go see doctors - so I'm thinking I could handle just a few visits a year with this practice.

CJB

I was under the impression that they have to accept Medicare reimbursement as payment in full. I would jump on something like this.

Good luck.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I was under the impression that they have to accept Medicare reimbursement as payment in full. I would jump on something like this.

Good luck.

I thought the same thing re Medicare, and most of these doctors don't take Medicare for that reason. So I was very surprised to find this., It could be they're skating around regulations by the use of the term "hybrid insurance surcharge", I don't really know. I probably will give it a try.