• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A report about anti-glycation supps Carnosine Beta-Alanine (=methylation?)

Asklipia

You have been giving signs of excess DHT, not sure to which extent it is desirable... I could be wrong though, since the bald patches on my shins increased with higher DHT, and the back of my thighs got hairier :oops:
Now you mention it, it also happened to me in the past : hair leaving my shins and at the same time more hairs at the back of my thighs! Which have disappeared now, I just checked!:):thumbsup:

So what is really happening is a hormonal change that brings about a different hair implantation.

Gondwanaland

So what is really happening is a hormonal change that brings about a different hair implantation
B5 is needed for hormone synthesis

ETA: and BORON, which I craved madly while on glycoxil

During Boron supplementation I had the healthiest fingernails of my life ever, but unfortunately I stopped tolerating it and so far haven't found out what the limiting factor is. Perhaps Carnosine/Carcinine?

The link above states that Boron is needed against receeding gums, so I hope I can find a way to improve that - which seems to have gotten worse from glycoxil

Last edited:

Asklipia

Difficult to say. No more receeding gums since nearly two years ago when we started regularly using bacteria as indicated here.
We did have this problem previously, but it has gone completely. We go on with the bacteria about every 3 days.

Boron makes me nervous. It is depleting B2 in a big way. It is helping progesterone and testosterone very much. I had a fantastic erotic afternoon after cleaning up 100 sq meters on my knees with boric acid following a cockroach problem.
But this is not was is helpful for me. I feel better with vit K2, butter, thiamine, all the stuff that regenerates.
My nails are now fantastic : I have at last found a supply of pigs ears!!!!! :devil::D:devil:
They definitely help with B6 and dreams. I ate one ear last night + raw garlic and chilli and I dreamt all night, bery interesting dreams. It must be the glycine in them potentiating my B6.

Last edited:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Meanwhile I have read that grey hair comes from unbalanced Zn:Cu ratio, and I have a Zn deficiency rather than a Cu one (determined empirically
I have had meanwhile all possible variants... so I do not see any chance of improvement... I had low zinc from veganism, normal zinc from supplementing 8mg zinc as zinc-carnosine, normal zinc from big amounts of red meat, too much zinc from 2x8mg zinc as zinc-carnosine... all these for long times. all these with adequate or somewhat more copper than rda.
.... I cannot think of any combination that I did not have had... :eek: :)

Also, white hair is from H2O2, and SOD CATALASE is needed to turn H2O2 into H2O - but I don't remember which SOD (probably ZnSOD, but MnSOD?)
This is the hot path! But how to increase that precious catalase and SOD? And most of all, isnt there some difference in what causes stray grey hairs, which I have, versus what causes all hairs grey?

Thank you for the Tocomin mention. Which brand did you use?
It was years ago. I only remember that it was tocomin suprabio. That is a trademarked ingredient, so it should be the same in every product. Trying to answer your question, I looked at some images and this one appears to me the most likely:
https://ch.iherb.com/pr/healthy-origins-tocomin-suprabio-50-mg-60-softgels/27484

Gondwanaland

how to increase that precious catalase and SOD?
Please let us know! ;):thumbsup:
Boron makes me nervous. It is depleting B2 in a big way.
Yes my experiences with Boron always ended up in disaster.

I remembered that a couple of moths ago I tried Phosphatidyl Serine, took it only once at 10 or 20 mg and had horrible pain in teeth. Glycoxil caused something similar, so I am still thinking that B5 is the answer? B5 depletes glycine big time!
Difficult to say. No more receeding gums since nearly two years ago when we started regularly using bacteria as indicated here.
We did have this problem previously, but it has gone completely. We go on with the bacteria about every 3 days.
Thanks, I will look into it.

ETA - I hope sometime in my life to tolerate avocado again for the Boron :cautious:

Last edited:

Asklipia

Very interesting about glycine and hormones. I always feel there is some kind of detox, quite powerful, when eating pigs ears. Of course this is a mega dose, there must be the equivalent of a whole pot of glycine supplements in just one ear. But I have always craved them so much, even as a child. When I eat one, afterwards I feel very depressed, next day I have a couple of painful zits and an incredible amount of energy + skin benefits.
I must confess the ears came on Saturday, I made them into a fantastic pate (recipe available on request), had a chunk on Saturday then on Sunday.
My hair and nails have grown crazily in two days!!!!!!
Maybe part of the detox is because of the raw garlic and coriander leaves? Maybe it is the combination that works?
Be well! :balloons:

Gondwanaland

I made them into a fantastic pate (recipe available on request)
Yes, please :p:thumbsup:

https://www.acnp.org/g4/GN401000008/Default.htm
GLYCINE: SYNTHESIS AND UPTAKE
Glycine is the major inhibitory neurotransmitter in the brainstem and spinal cord, where it participates in a variety of motor and sensory functions. Glycine is also present in the forebrain, where it has recently been shown to function as a coagonist at the N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA) subtype of glutamate receptor. In the latter, context glycine promotes the actions of glutamate, the major excitatory neurotransmitter (for a discussion of glycine's role as a coagonist of the NMDA receptor, see Excitatory Amino Acid Neurotransmission). Thus, glycine subserves both inhibitory and excitatory functions within the CNS.

Glycine is formed from serine by the enzyme serine hydroxymethyltransferase (SHMT). Glycine, like GABA, is released from nerve endings in a Ca2+-dependent fashion. The actions of glycine are terminated primarily by reuptake via Na+/Cl--dependent, high-affinity glycine transporters. The specific uptake of glycine has been demonstrated in the brainstem and spinal cord in regions where there are also high densities of inhibitory glycine receptors.

Asklipia

Take 6 raw pigs ears (4 if enormous, depends on the variety of pig)
Wash well, shave if necessary. Cut them in narrow strips. Put in a deep plate inside your steamer.
Steam for 20 mn.
In the meantime peel a big head of garlic and mince 5 small red thai chillies. Grind these ingredients with some salt in a pestle and mortar. Prepare your meat grinder with the grate with bigger holes.
When the 20 mn are up, grind the ears immediately (don't delay), not too much at a time because it can be tiring for your grinder. There is some juice in the deep plate where the ears were steamed. Add your chilli/garlic mixture to this and stir well.
Add the garlicky juice to the minced meat in its bowl, + a dash of fish sauce if you have, otherwise a bit of extra salt. Put this mixture in a glass tupperware which has a tight fitting lid (to avoid garlic smell in the fridge) and press to avoid air pockets. Put in the refrigerator.
Total preparation time not more than 30 mn.

After a couple of hours, your pate is set. Cut yourself a thick slice, divided then in small cubes, and serve with some fresh cilantro and a glass of wine.
If taken at night, prepare yourself for a night of crazy dreams by taking some B6.
Enjoy! :balloons::devil::devil::balloons:
This can be kept for 10 days in your fridge. The best is a little everyday if you can control yourself.

Gondwanaland

:bulb: For a good dose of B5 + Boron = bee products (honey, royal jelly). Honey is the best stuff for a good night's sleep ( @Mary ) :sleep: and honey, royal jelly and propolis are awesome for respiratory biofilms (propolis, royal jelly for rhinitis & sinusitis, and butter + honey for sore throat).

Gondwanaland

This is the hot path! But how to increase that precious catalase and SOD? And most of all, isnt there some difference in what causes stray grey hairs, which I have, versus what causes all hairs grey?
I don't know the answer to your question, but found another path to turn H2O2 into H2O: SELENIUM
index.php

Mary

Moderator Resource
:bulb: For a good dose of B5 + Boron = bee products (honey, royal jelly). Honey is the best stuff for a good night's sleep ( @Mary ) :sleep: and honey, royal jelly and propolis are awesome for respiratory biofilms (propolis, royal jelly for rhinitis & sinusitis, and butter + honey for sore throat).

I've read that honey is supposed to help with sleep but unfortunately it hasn't helped me ...

But two of my sisters have had very good results with taking honey when they were sick with respiratory illnesses. One sister has rheumatoid arthritis and has been taking low dose prednisone for a few years. She's started getting severe colds which go into bronchitis very quickly a couple of times a year and last spring ended up with pneumonia. a few months ago she started getting sick again and I told her about the honey, she dosed up on it big-time and for the first time in a few years she stopped the bug in its tracks and recovered rather quickly and no bronchitis. Unfortunately for me, high-dose honey just seems to trigger candida! But I was glad (and my sister was too) when she recovered so quickly, it was truly amazing. :thumbsup:

Lolinda

J'aime nager dans le froid style Wim Hof.. 🏊‍♀️🙃
Thank you for the Tocomin mention. Which brand did you use?
In addition to my previous post, here you get the science for the tocotrienols & hair growth:

Effects of Tocotrienol Supplementation on Hair Growth in Human Volunteers
the essence:
The number of hairs of the volunteers in the tocotrienol supplementation group increased significantly as compared to the placebo group, with the former recording a 34.5% increase at the end of the 8-month supplementation as compared to a 0.1% decrease for the latter.

Gondwanaland

Could this be an underlying cause to the weakening of my inguinal ligaments when I take carcinine?
Vitamins and Hormones, Volume 30 p. 35
It is known that some of the hydroxylysine of collagen is glycosylated (Butler and Cunningham, 1966; Cunningham and Ford, 1968; Spiro, 1969; Morgan et al., 1970), and it has been suggested that this glycosylation, which occurs on the plasma membrane, is necessary for extrusion (Hagopian et al., 1968). This would offer an explanation for the need for hydroxylation of lysine for collagen transport.
https://www.ch.cam.ac.uk/group/duer/research/collagen-glycation-and-diabetes
Collagen is naturally glycosylated. That is, the collagen protein molecules have sugar molecules covalently bonded to them (to lysine and hydroxylysine residues). The purpose of this glycosylation is unknown, but without it, the collagen molecules do not form structural fibrils. We think that one role of the sugars is to provide a low energy interface between the collagen fibrils and surrounding aqueous medium of the tissue. Collagen is a largely hydrophobic molecule (water repelling), whilst sugar molecules generally have a hydrophobic and a hydrophilic face. If the sugar molecules bound to collagen are arranged so that their hydrophobic face is against the hydrophobic collagen (fibrils) and their hydrophilic face points outwards to the aqueous medium beyond, the disruption to the surrounding water molecules imposed by the presence of a collagen fibril is much less, and the interfacial energy between collagen fibril and surrounding water is much more favourable than without the presence of sugar.
Unfortunately, collagen can also acquire covalently bound sugar that is not supposed to be there – so called glycation – the non-enzymatic covalent addition of sugar molecules.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-linked_glycosylation
A Novel Functional Role of Collagen Glycosylation

Also, cholesterol (from which I have plenty) is not the only precursor to estrogens. They can also be formed from acetate. This explains why I was practially drinking pure ACV while on carcinine - my body was trying to (unsuccessfully) compensate for the carcinine properties of accelerated phenol breakdown paired with aromatase inhibition.

Last edited:

Gondwanaland

I did not gather if suppressing glycation will be detrimental on glycosylation.:confused:

I am dabbing on Folinic Acid, and it also promotes revival of old memories. However, I think because I am focusing heavily on Manganese nutrition, the memories are of guilt and regret, instead of joyful as promoted by the carcinine.

Gondwanaland

@Asklipia
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5315033/
Fatty Acids
Deficiency of the polyunsaturated essential fatty acids linoleic acid (an omega-6 fatty acid) and alpha-linolenic acid (an omega-3 fatty acid) can result from inappropriate parenteral nutrition and malabsorption disorders such as cystic fibrosis. Hair changes include loss of scalp hair and eyebrows as well as lightening of hair [3,4]. Unsaturated fatty acids may modulate androgen action by inhibition of 5α-reductase, similar to the drug finasteride [42]. Additionally, arachidonic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid, may promote hair growth by enhancing follicle proliferation [43].