• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Post in /r/medicine

SB_1108

Last edited:

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I looks like they'll delete it, and for good reason.
Rule 6 (personal agenda) This forum is for medical professionals to discuss issues important to them. Not for patients to try to get medical professionals to discuss their disease.

@SB_1108 The links you posted are so informative regarding the experience that we with ME/CFS have with medical professionals.

For our sake, and theirs, I'm looking forward to such cynicism being nothing more than a thing of the past. ;)

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
That reddit emphases my general impression that many in the medical profession knows jack all about what was not in their textbooks. The harassment and disbelief of patients there is pretty shocking, guess the anonymity shows what some of them really think but don`t say. It`s certainly consistent with the treatment i have been getting as soon as "ME" is mentioned. Honestly, fuck`em

It is a massively heterogeneous patient population with no known etiology or cure. Your next patient is in 8 minutes.

The examples you mentioned? These doctors do not just dislike CFS patients, they don't like any patients.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
That doesn`t justify how they handle and think about us at all.

frozenborderline

I'm kind of hoping that /r/medicine is not representative of doctors in general, who I know can be shitty, but maybe not that shitty?

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I'm kind of hoping that /r/medicine is not representative of doctors in general, who I know can be shitty, but maybe not that shitty?

Unfortunately i think it is. I think because theres no diagnostic test or treatment for cfsme they dont know what to really do. I think because depression doesnt have a diagnostic test either they lump many of these patients together and they can treat with antidepressants, if it works is another thing.

Many drs will say theres nothing abnormal on tests but they dont test much any way, a full blood count sounds thorough but??? Even when theres something abnormal on it many drs ignore it or dismiss it as irrelevant.

At the end of the day drs follow guidelines thats backed by research, they dont really make alot of their own decisions, so are basically told what to do. Issue i think is research and for drs to be taught the current research eg nk dysfunction and cytokines studies etc etc. Most have never heard of them.

Last edited: