• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What do you eat for breakfast?

Min

my breakfast is usually cantaloupe melon and cottage cheese - so not suitable for you

have you tried oatmeal/porridge made with water?

willow

I don't eat a normal breakfast it's usually more of a smaller version of a normal meal.

It's often a little rice or rice noodles with various stir fried veg and either egg or beef or anchovies or some other protein element. Sometimes I'll have small portions of soups or stews from the day before. When it's warmer I'll have a range of salads in my fridge and I'll have those with the beef/egg/anchovies/other fish. Occasionally I'll have tofu but it's not good for me, it's just for a change.

When I could tolerate more cereals I'd have flakes of rice/millet/buckwheat cooked up to a porridge with water and a little creamed cocnut flavoured with spices or sometimes dried fruit or honey.

Esther12

I often feel nauseous in the mornings, and not up to eating much. When that happens I'll try to snack on some nuts, to get my stomach going and make sure I've eaten something.

Recently I've been having porridge (which is nice with nut milks) with fruit and syrup (breakfast's the only time I allow myself sugar - it seems preferable to being really stuck for anything to eat).

I sometimes do like Willow, and just have a small meal (pasta, left-overs). Beans on toast. Currently my stomach's been feeling fine in the morning, so finding something to eat has not been a problem. When I used to wake up feeling really sick I would sometimes put off eating, and that's not a good idea energy wise. Fatty food like bacon, fried eggs, etc, doesn't seem to go down well at all.

Wonko

normally boiled eggs, omlette or porridge - with fruit and green tea

if you cant eat eggs have you considered smoked fish with a light salad - easy (once you get the bags open), tasty and good for you

awol

I avoid dairy and gluten so that cuts out most standard breakfasts. I now have a dairy-free smoothie (banana, orange juice, and other fruits of the day) as well as puffed quinoa cereal with rice/almond milk. Quite yummy actually.

Misfit Toy

Breakfast is the worst meal for me. It makes or breaks my day. Quinoa sometimes. Eggs and toast. Bacon every now and then. I crave carbs but they reduce energy. Kefir lately. If I was to have oatmeal, which totally bloats me up and makes me feel like I took a valium...I will sleep all day. My adrenals are so bad that it has to be protein.

flybro

I have complan, a build-up/recovery drink mixed with fullfat lactose free milk.

its as though my abilty to swollow solids dosent wake up until i've been up for a few hours.

I often try to eat a more solid breakfast and nearly always end up gagging and heaving.

if I'm on a rough run, i cant eat meals fullstop.

awol

its as though my abilty to swollow solids dosent wake up until i've been up for a few hours.

Yeah I get that too, though not all the time. Sometimes the smoothie is my entire breakfast.

I notice quite a few people still have dairy-ish items on here. Flybro, lactose is your problem then, not cassein?

L'engle

moogle
Egg whites, which are less heavy tasting than eggs. Sometimes brown rice with rice milk. Sometimes a dulse and sea salt broth or V-8. I usually end up having to eat something a couple of times in the night and then really hungry by morning, and quite a bit of it has to be protein. I do often eat yogurt or whey protein. Hemp seeds are a good non-lactose protein, otherwise almonds. Can't even drink decaf tea or coffee because the tannins cause a muscle melt down. I can't really find a good drink for a daily basis, something that won't stress adrenals in the morning.

flybro

Hey Awol

'cassein', no idea what this, I'm googling now,

Dairy free would finish me off, I'm trying to do lactose and gluten free, I sometimes fall of the wagon.

It has helped though, and whebn I fall of the wagon I soon notice, especially if they run out of lactose free at the local supermarket.

The same with bread, I love soft white bread. It seems Ok occasionally, but I soon notice if I've had it more than occasionaly.

qik question is your name the army version of, Awol, if so what an excellent pik, if not its still good, but if it is it is brilliant for CFS/ME.

I

Kati

Patient in training
Yogurt and blueberries- I'm addicted. Sorry you can't do dairy...

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
I start my day with my vitamin drink one scoop Energy Enfusion with some liquid chlorophyl in two cups of water which I drink slowly.

Then I sip on some coffee with soy. (Okay, I'll be honest here, with some chocolate added. I'm teaching my body that coffee and dark chocolate are medicine. They are!!! Really!!! Now I have my fingers in my ears . . . I can't hear you . . .)

About two or three hours later, I'm ready to eat. Usually I have steamed veggies (already cooked) with a poached or soft-boiled egg (I can eat eggs this way) topped with tamari sauce and flax oil, and sometimes hemp seeds.

ukxmrv

I vomit up most things in the morning and the most I can tolerate is a dry croissant or a piece of toast (white) or some boiled white rice and coffee. Did years of different exclusion diets trying to solve the vomiting problem and the morning meal was always the most difficult one because of the severe nausea (can't eat cooked food (i.e. eggs), or nuts, fruit, juices, porridge, different grains, dairy etc in the morning).