• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Looking for safe, gentle stretch “exercises”

Ravn

Like many of you I'm spending most of my time sitting or lying about. As a result I'm accumulating assorted secondary aches and pains plus stiffness all over. In the good old days a few sessions of tai chi would soon have fixed that. These days, alas, all that tai chi does is a) cause a faint and b) trigger PEM. So looking for alternatives.

Dimly recall a study (sorry, link got lost) saying the researchers could trigger PEM in ME patients with just a simple stretch of a specific kind. So I'm worried that by inventing my own stretches (no physical therapists of any kind available where I live) I could inadvertently trigger PEM. In fact I suspect that could be happening already because while I can usually pinpoint what sent me into PEM, occasionally there just seems to be no reason at all, not physical, cognitive or emotional, nor allergy or infection, etc. etc. So maybe it was that biiig looong stretch that felt so good at the time :confused:?

Does anyone know of a good resource of suitable - and safe - “exercises” like range of motion or stretches, preferably with pictures and able to be done in bed?

Just to be double-clear: I don't have any illusion about exercising the ME away, just want to limber up a little to shake out some of those secondary aches and pains.

Hi Ravn,

I used to do Tai Chi too. Good for staying supple but also very calming! Have you considered seated Tai Chi or seated Qi Gong? Perhaps some of the modified exercises might be suitable for you :)

Lots of videos on Youtube, but here are a couple of examples!

Tai Chi:

Qi Gong:

Ravn

I used to do Tai Chi too. Good for staying supple but also very calming! Have you considered seated Tai Chi or seated Qi Gong? Perhaps some of the modified exercises might be suitable for you
I'll have a look at them, thanks @feeb. Individual parts may be suitable though I do have trouble with dizziness even sitting down, also anything where I need to "wave" my arms about get my POTS going something terrible. Recumbent movement is generally best for me.

Scarecrow

Revolting Peasant
Dimly recall a study (sorry, link got lost) saying the researchers could trigger PEM in ME patients with just a simple stretch of a specific kind.
That was the straight leg raise.
See discussion on this thread:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-intensity-in-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.45731/

A stretch that I like is the tummy twist, the 12th exercise on this link:
http://www.marieclaire.co.uk/life/h...es-you-can-do-in-bed-that-actually-work-94690
I never thought of this as an abdominal workout. I get the stretch in the shoulder and also down through the bottom, hip and top of the thigh. I'm not sure about doing this on a soft mattress but if yours is firm, you should be alright. A carpeted floor may be a better choice.

Not a stretch but if you do want an abdominal exercise, #6 the pillow prop, which is on the same list, looks ok.

Lastly, and also not technically a stretch, but this Alexander technique exercise might suit you.
https://www.alexander-technique.com/semi-supine/
In addition to the instructions given, you can also concentrate on diaphragm breathing, releasing the breath more slowly than you take it in. You definitely should do this one on a carpeted floor or a mat, not on a mattress.

NelliePledge

Workwell foundation is the best place to find information about exercise and ME. I don't do any exercise but if I did I would be looking to use a heart rate monitor.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
stretching will give me PEM :bang-head:
I've been going to a chiropractor who is good at treating this and understands ME/CFS, but that involves cost and travel, not sure if you can do it

She tells me if i could stretch and strengthen certain muscles my aches would go away but understands thats not feasible till there is an ME/CFS treatment.

barbc56

I think yoga stretching postures (static) are the best for PWC because muscle contraction happens in a natural way with minimal effort / movement.

This is quite interesting. Can you go into more detail. Would walking come under what you describe.?

Thanks!

svetoslav80

Can you go into more detail.
There's not much to describe. Choose a yoga posture first. The purpose is not to do it perfectly, as on the images, but rather stretch until you feel a slight pain. For example backbend using a wall - relax your back. If the pain from stretching becomes too much, contract your back muscles a bit , when the pain goes away, relax again. Relax and contract, with minimal movement, that's it. It can still bring PEM though, if you force too much. I don't exercise anymore because of other health issues.
Would walking come under what you describe.?
Thanks!
Walking is not a static exercise obviously but if you have the energy ... of course it's good.