• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Good article in Daily Express on Unrest

Countrygirl

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

THIS mysterious condition affects millions more than MS - but you probably don't know it
CHRONIC fatigue syndrome affects millions of people worldwide, but barely anything is known about it. A new documentary, Unrest, aims to shine a light on a condition that has been ignored for too long.
By LAUREN CLARK
PUBLISHED: 16:20, Mon, Oct 23, 2017 | UPDATED: 18:43, Tue, Oct 24, 2017

Chronic-fatigue-syndrome-870117.jpg
UNREST/ GETTY

Chronic fatigue syndrome: Unrest explores a very misunderstood condition
Chronic fatigue syndrome - or Myalgic Encephalomyelitis, and commonly shortened to CFS/ME- affects an estimated 15 to 30 million people globally, including 250,000 in the UK.

That’s more than the 100,000 sufferers of multiple sclerosis (MS), an equally devastating condition, but one that has a greater understanding and potential treatments in the pipeline.

Unkindly branded ‘yuppie flu’ in the not too distant past, CFS/ ME has been stigmatised and ignored over the decades, despite being first identified as an illness by the World Health Organization back in 1969.

Sufferers were commonly told that symptoms - which included extreme fatigue, severe muscle pain and debilitating cognitive problems - were psychological, and all in their head.

RELATED ARTICLES
Chronic-fatigue-syndrome-1105280.jpg
UNREST

Chronic fatigue syndrome: There are 15 to 30 million sufferers globally
My husband Omar and I both got sick with a virus when we were travelling. He recovered from the fever, but I began to develop strange flu-like symptoms.

Jen Brea, director of Unrest

However, the effects of CFS/ ME can be devastating - a quarter of patients are housebound or bed bound, meaning that they can often remain hidden to society.

Recent progress has been made after a ground-breaking Stanford study discovered the condition could be proved with a blood test.

SamanthaJ

I tell you what, all my least favorite newspapers have been doing a really good job of good articles for us recently, and the one I am more easily aligned with on many things a really bloody shit job.... whats that about then?
I'm increasingly convinced there must a direct connection to SW & co high up at the Guardian, higher up than Goldacre or Simon Singh, but I'm surprised we don't know by now what or who this is - there's a sort of wilful blindness that goes beyond ignorance or laziness, they actually seem to avoid the good stories. They seem to be the only paper that hasn't had a proper article about Unrest, even though it should be right up their street.

As an ex-Guardian reader I feel betrayed, and have given up waiting for them to prove me wrong. The call for change clearly isn't going to come from them - it seems they as good as oppose change. The frustrating thing is, Guardian readers would want to know about this injustice and abuse. I'm disappointed that no Guardian journalist has insisted on writing about it.

Anyway, rant over! Well done, Express!

Molly98

I'm increasingly convinced there must a direct connection to SW & co high up at the Guardian, higher up than Goldacre or Simon Singh, but I'm surprised we don't know by now what or who this is - there's a sort of wilful blindness that goes beyond ignorance or laziness, they actually seem to avoid the good stories. They seem to be the only paper that hasn't had a proper article about Unrest, even though it should be right up their street.

As an ex-Guardian reader I feel betrayed, and have given up waiting for them to prove me wrong. The call for change clearly isn't going to come from them - it seems they as good as oppose change. The frustrating thing is, Guardian readers would want to know about this injustice and abuse. I'm disappointed that no Guardian journalist has insisted on writing about it.

Anyway, rant over! Well done, Express!

Couldn't agree more... on all points :)

Sadly I am now Newspaperless.

They seem to be the only paper that hasn't had a proper article about Unrest, even though it should be right up their street.
Well, there was this, and this... I’ve just re-read the review (second link) and don’t disagree: it seems to be rather damning the movie with faint praise, and a meagre three stars (‘nothing to see here folks’). It also, somehow, still finds it appropriate to cast aspersions towards psychological causation, in a way that only a true zealot could. There does seem to be a certain editorial policy in play at the guardian, that operates in a slightly sinister way.

Deepwater

Well, there was this, and this... I’ve just re-read the review (second link) and don’t disagree: it seems to be rather damning the movie with faint praise, and a meagre three stars (‘nothing to see here folks’). It also, somehow, still finds it appropriate to cast aspersions towards psychological causation, in a way that only a true zealot could. There does seem to be a certain editorial policy in play at the guardian, that operates in a slightly sinister way.

There is indeed. I used to think it was all about Ben Goldacre, but as @SamanthaJ says, it seems to go beyond that. Anyone would think Simon Wessely had information he could use to blackmail the editor,;) the dissonance between the facts and the Guardian's coverage is so perverse.