• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"The Lazarus Effect" UK TV prog on anti-retrovirals in HIV tonight May 24

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Tonight on Channel 4 I see there's a documentary called "The Lazarus Effect" (11:05 to 11:35 pm). According to Channel 4's website:

"The Lazarus Effect follows the stories of four people living with HIV/AIDS, whose lives have been transformed by antiretroviral medication."

What a great title and how amazing it must be to come back from such severe illness to feel healthy again. Let's hope we're next!

I don't know anything about ARVs in HIV in terms of how it happens from the patient's point of view and it will be fascinating to learn about it - and maybe an indication of what we might hope for it the XMRV/CFS link pans out.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hmmm... The Phoenix Effect.......sounds a little better to me.:D

Mmmm, dunno... I am always worried about businesses that call themselves things like "Phoenix Garage" or "Phoenix Hairdressing" or whatever - the name always gives me the impression that they've managed to set fire to their building at some point in the recent past! No offence to the Forum, of course! ;)

Adam

Tonight on Channel 4 I see there's a documentary called "The Lazarus Effect" (11:05 to 11:35 pm). According to Channel 4's website:

"The Lazarus Effect follows the stories of four people living with HIV/AIDS, whose lives have been transformed by antiretroviral medication."

What a great title and how amazing it must be to come back from such severe illness to feel healthy again. Let's hope we're next!

I don't know anything about ARVs in HIV in terms of how it happens from the patient's point of view and it will be fascinating to learn about it - and maybe an indication of what we might hope for it the XMRV/CFS link pans out.

Thanks Sasha, I'll set the HDD for that one.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Just watched the recording I made last night - spectacular remissions but must warn everyone there's some extremely distressing stuff. Very, very sad how people's lives have been affected before ARVs affected (people losing several children to AIDS etc.). Don't watch if you're feeling emotionally fragile or find this kind of thing hard to get over!

The bottom line is, ARVs for HIV are great and remission happens in weeks.

serenity

thank you Sasha i am so appreciative when people actually think to worry about someone's emotional state when they watch certain programs. i hope the show was great & helpful to those who watched, but i will not thanks to Sasha's warning. i deeply appreciate it!

Adam

Just watched the recording I made last night - spectacular remissions but must warn everyone there's some extremely distressing stuff. Very, very sad how people's lives have been affected before ARVs affected (people losing several children to AIDS etc.). Don't watch if you're feeling emotionally fragile or find this kind of thing hard to get over!

The bottom line is, ARVs for HIV are great and remission happens in weeks.

Same here. I watched in this dinnertime. I was struck by the fortitude of the people. Heaven only knows how they lived through the worst of it. And still so many are dying because they cannot access the free ARV drugs. It was a brilliant piece of film-making too.