• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What are seminal studies in ME research?

RogerBlack

I hate to mention it, but would a section on the bits of the most transparent BPS stuff be appropriate?
I.E. the stuff that is a hair away from 'they're all making it up'.

JaimeS

I hate to mention it, but would a section on the bits of the most transparent BPS stuff be appropriate?
I.E. the stuff that is a hair away from 'they're all making it up'.

I think the section on PACE ends up covering this sort of thing well. No emphasis on "most transparently made up stuff" necessary. It all looks very bad when you state it plainly.

I was talking to another researcher on our team this evening, Rahim E. (who is working on the chip). I had just waded through all the citations for PACE because, as I put it "it's done so badly and has so many flaws that it's hard to believe unless you cite over... and over... and over again."

It took an hour and a half just to write all the citations for PACE. Admittedly I work more slowly than a well person.

JaimeS

Realized at the 11th hour that I'm missing some of the better stuff for autoantibodies.

I've got:

Loebel M, Grabowski P, Heidecke H, Bauer S, Hanitsch LG, Wittke K, Meisel C, Reinke P, Volk HD, Fluge Ø, Mella O, Scheibenbogen C. (2016 Feb). Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Brain Behav Immun. 52: 32-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2015.09.013. Epub 2015 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 26399744.

Maes, M., Ringel, K., Kubera, M., Anderson, G., Morris, G., Galecki, P., Geffard, M. (2013). In myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, increased autoimmune activity against 5-HT is associated with immuno-inflammatory pathways and bacterial translocation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 150(2):223-30.

and the Tanaka, although I see some issues with it and have pointed them out:

Tanaka S, Kuratsune H, Hidaka Y, Hakariya Y, Tatsumi KI, Takano T, Kanakura Y, Amino N. (2003 Aug). Autoantibodies against muscarinic cholinergic receptor in chronic fatigue syndrome. Int J Mol Med,12(2):225-30. PubMed PMID: 12851722.

Any good ones on this I'm missing?

-J

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Loebel M, Grabowski P, Heidecke H, Bauer S, Hanitsch LG, Wittke K, Meisel C, Reinke P, Volk HD, Fluge Ø, Mella O, Scheibenbogen C. (2016 Feb). Antibodies to β adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Brain Behav Immun. 52: 32-9. doi: 10.1016/j.bbi.2015.09.013. Epub 2015 Sep 21. PubMed PMID: 26399744.

Maes, M., Ringel, K., Kubera, M., Anderson, G., Morris, G., Galecki, P., Geffard, M. (2013). In myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, increased autoimmune activity against 5-HT is associated with immuno-inflammatory pathways and bacterial translocation. Journal of Affective Disorders, 150(2):223-30.
I did not know about these effects, i suspect i will be learning quite a bit from your efforts :)

JaimeS

Whelp, I finished very late last night and sent out to the group! Thank you for all your help, guys. I will probably post as a blog post soon, or on whatever outlet is most sensible.

I already found three typos, of course. That's the type of thing you only ever discover after you hit 'send' . ;)

JaimeS

LOL!!! :woot:
i think this should be a future studied way of diagnosing ME/CFS, our unique brain malfunctions of which there are a few

Heh! I think in a document with this many images in it, I'm lucky that this didn't happen.

laurelhach-using-microsoft-word-moves-an-image-a-mm-to-3091957.png

....oh wait, it did. Every time. ;)

JaimeS

Hi @JaimeS, thank you so much for your hard work! :trophy::nerd: Saw this document today and wondered if it's the one this thread was about? (It says 2015 in the title but has 2017 updates)
http://www.meaction.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/ME2FCFS-RESEARCH-SUMMARY-Jamie-Seltzer.pdf

I think the 2015 applies to the IOM report; it's just the first document listed.

Looks like the formatting went a little strange; I swear, mine was prettier. ;)

Also, there is a much longer version with sections by body system. I hope to be able to turn those sections into articles hosted on #MEAction, and on OMF if that's the sort of content they want there.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Indeed.

And I would have, but the link says "Anonymous User", so I didn't now who you were.

So I certainly wasn't intentionally not crediting you @thegodofpleasure.

In fact, I subsequently commented:

"Not a chance - I was pointed to it yesterday by another Millions Missing Canada volunteer - so I'm not sure who, other than 'anonymous user' compiles and keeps it updated - but bless their soul."

thegodofpleasure

Player in a Greek Tragedy
Indeed.

And I would have, but the link says "Anonymous User", so I didn't now who you were.

So I certainly wasn't intentionally not crediting you @thegodofpleasure.

In fact, I subsequently commented:

"Not a chance - I was pointed to it yesterday by another Millions Missing Canada volunteer - so I'm not sure who, other than 'anonymous user' compiles and keeps it updated - but bless their soul."

Thank you @ScottTriGuy

That cloud location isn't where I posted the document I created, it's a copy - but I don't mind.

I post my updates here: https://app.box.com/s/9s4coexxtys5bnz33i6gvqqygu67ex5o and the items highlighted in green are the most recent additions to the list

shannah

Thank you @ScottTriGuy

That cloud location isn't where I posted the document I created, it's a copy - but I don't mind.

I post my updates here: https://app.box.com/s/9s4coexxtys5bnz33i6gvqqygu67ex5o and the items highlighted in green are the most recent additions to the list

I've shared your documents online and also with my physician @thegodofpleasure but have never known who the author was until now.
You've done a phenomenal work. Thank you so much!

Hajnalka

It would have been nice to have been credited for all the work I put into producing this.

Hi @thegodofpleasure, great document, thank you for your work, very appreciated! :trophy::bouquet::nerd:

I couldn't find a name either in the document, but if I'm going to share it I'll look up how to cite you in Jamie's document. My question is: Would you prefer to be asked before we share it?