• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Two good pieces on ME

Mel9

Hajnalka

I've only read the second article "exercise in normalising" so far, but it's excellent (Dariusz Galasiński is a linguist/author).

The initial period of testing with no results after I fell ill is still kind of a "trauma" (using the term as a layperson, apologies to people with real trauma) for me. He put it into words very well.
It was like banging my head against the wall. I was feeling like shit (do pardon me), there were days when I could barely move, spending hours on the sofa. I was literally too tired to sit in front of my computer in the study. And yet, what I was getting was basically the ‘it’s normal’ story. Well, also the ‘you’re mad’ story.

I’m a very well-spoken, very well educated person. I’ve been trained and experienced in looking at reality critically. I’m also fairly used to being wrong. But in this case, to be completely honest, I was being driven mad. The gap between how I felt and what my doctors told me was way too large to ignore or just dismiss as insignificant. I was either mad or they were seriously wrong.
Unfortunately I bought into the "you're mad" story - and he's right, there are only these two options (I guess the younger you are (and depending on family support), the more at risk you are to swallow the mad-story).

Hilary

Both excellent pieces and yes, the second one certainly rang bells with me. I recall the first consultant I saw telling me he couldn't see anything wrong with me.... he thought I was 'just a bit depressed and had had too much responsibility..' Silly girl - get back in the kitchen where you belong..... (I was then in legal practice..) Blimey I thought... I didn't know mild depression could give you night sweats, render you incapable of staggering round the supermarket, give you blinding migraines etc etc..............