• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Airbnb Situation..

Misfit Toy

I have my 7th guest here. He is from Australia, Melbourne. I keep thinking of all my Aussie friends. He is here for the college library because it has the best Peace Corp archives in the country. He loves American History. Go figure! I am all about European History.

He is nice and what is something I like about this, we had dinner last night together. We just talked about our lives.

So, on top of making money for him to stay here, he gets to cook and have a beer and there is a social aspect of it for me that makes me feel like I am part of society a little bit more.

It's just really nice.

My last guest I picked up from the airport so I made money from that. Usually to take a cab, it costs $30. So, I ask for half.

This whole thing is just interesting and the people are never here really so I have my place to myself.

I made $100 last weekend for a 2 night visit with her getting in at 1 am, and up and out at 7:30 am and not coming back until midnight. In otherwords, she was not here. She was a physician. I didn't mention CFS as I could see she was here for fun only and to meet up with her college alumni friends. She was from Portland, Oregon. So cool...all of these people from all over.

Anyway, it's been a really nice diversion and if you are up for it, it may be something to try if you are not so tired. I do it very part time.

Last edited:

markielock

That's a great idea. I'm glad you're enjoying it so far :). I love the entrepreneurial spirit! I recently came to the conclusion that renting out the spaces you own to lodgers is quite possibly one of the best ways to make an income as someone with a fluctuating health condition.

The perks are: the money is still rolling in even when you're sick and limited, you can delegate quite a lot of the tasks and you will always have a comfortable roof over your head. Of course, there's no such thing as truly passive income but this business route has so many perks for people in our relative situations. If you have the space and enjoy the company, I'm all for it @Misfit Toy!

My personal action plan I've developed over the last month is to save money for a mortgage to buy a suitable house in a popular student town, like Glasgow. I'll then rent all my bedrooms and make them comfortable and self contained, whilst turning the living room into my own personal bedsit area. Hopefully a garden so I can keep growing my vegetables etc.

I think it'd be quite fun being a live-in landlord! ha ha.

dadouv47

Airbnb is such a great opportunity, even more for sick people like us (to make some easy money and have social contact) if we have an extra room. I would do the same during some periods if my wife agreed to do so (she wants to keep her privacy...)

Renting on Airbnb is one of the best investissement you can make. Most of my friends are making tons of money doing this. Sometimes they sublease appartements to rent them on Airbnb. They make way more money than with their current jobs. Wish I had some money to invest as well :(

Misfit Toy

@markielock -you and I have the same idea. I have some money for a downpayment on a house. With what I am spending in rent, I could put to a house. Then, I want to make the basement into a rental situation (separate entrance and private kitchen, etc) and then rent out a room upstairs for Airbnb that could pay for my electric, etc. I have been reading about this a lot.

A college town is the best location or near a city. I am right outside of Philly, right next to the train and within walking distance to a college. It's so easy to do it.

All I have to do is clean (not insanely) and then make up the bed and wash the sheets. Some people charge enough to have someone come in and clean or do the sheets. I charge $6 to do the sheets on top of what I charge per night. Living near an airport helps, too and people love it when they have door to door service. I pick them up and bring them right back to where they are staying.

I have always had an entrepreneurial spirit and I enjoy it. It is fun. Honestly, there are days I spend in bed while they are here and they don't even know.

Why? Because they are out all day long. It works! Also, you get to set the rules on airbnb. No loud noise, only one person, must be an introvert, etc. I said what I want for guests and I am getting it. Everyone for the most part stays off to themselves.

So far I have received 5 stars with great reviews. I am the closest Airbnb to the college so great for walkers. :thumbsup:

markielock

@dadouv47 we should start a sick-landlords-cooperative and help each other raise funds to buy or do up houses to be the live in landlords and airbnb-style hosts ha ha. That could be so fun. Grow a business for the greater good and donate a percentage of our colelctive earnings to ME/CFS research.

dadouv47

@dadouv47 we should start a sick-landlords-cooperative and help each other raise funds to buy or do up houses to be the live in landlords and airbnb-style hosts ha ha. That could be so fun. Grow a business for the greater good and donate a percentage of our colelctive earnings to ME/CFS research.

Good idea ;) But first I need a business to pay my medical expenses :D
Then we can think about the greater good ;) :thumbsup:

markielock

@Misfit Toy definitely keep us up to speed with how it continues to pan out!! :) yeah, there's definitely some leg work but it definitely beats the conventional 9-5 job inevitably burning us into the ground!

@dadouv47 yeah, I haven't worked out all the bugs in the operation yet but we'll get there! lol :p

sissypop

This does sound wonderful. When I was well enough to travel to the beach I loved staying at b&bs in old historical houses.

My only concern if I were to do it in my own home would be I would be concerned about letting strangers into my home, especially at night while I'm asleep! :nervous:

@Misfit Toy Also do you give them a key to your home so they can come and go whenever?

Misfit Toy

@dadouv47 -I think this woman has two queen size beds in NYC and rents them out. She can ask about $180 per night if not more, plus they use the kitchen and can go on top of her roof to see the skyline of NYC. You can rent hotel rooms for cheaper than that in NYC but many like all that her place has to offer. Plus, she then charges a cleaning fee. I think at times she rents out her whole place and goes and stays with her sister for a week. That brings in way more money.

It's all a lot of thinking and planning on how to do it, but my mind works like that anyway. The whole idea of a duplex here would be great for this.

Misfit Toy

My only concern if I were to do it in my own home would be I would be concerned about letting strangers into my home, especially at night while I'm asleep! :nervous:

Oh, hell no. They can't come in after midnight. I am awake till 2 am. So, I am awake when I meet them. Also, they all write before hand. There are several exchanges to make sure we both are a good fit. They are all educated and in bed before me type of people. You get to set the rules, Sissy...so you can say no one in after a certain time. And, they must be out by what time the next day type of thing.

There are rules. I make everyone take their shoes off upon entering.

dadouv47

@dadouv47 -I think this woman has two queen size beds in NYC and rents them out. She can ask about $180 per night if not more, plus they use the kitchen and can go on top of her roof to see the skyline of NYC. You can rent hotel rooms for cheaper than that in NYC but many like all that her place has to offer. Plus, she then charges a cleaning fee. I think at times she rents out her whole place and goes and stays with her sister for a week. That brings in way more money.

It's all a lot of thinking and planning on how to do it, but my mind works like that anyway. The whole idea of a duplex here would be great for this.

That's a lot of money for one place. I guess the localisation (and the place) should be great. NYC is clearly a incredible place to rent because they got it all : tourism, students, people that want to go there to see if they can live there etc...

Misfit Toy

That's a lot of money for one place. I guess the localisation (and the place) should be great. NYC is clearly a incredible place to rent because they got it all : tourism, students, people that want to go there to see if they can live there etc...

Yes, she lives in Manhattan. It pays her mortgage. She mentioned that many come from Europe as family to rent the whole place. She can then adjust the price to in the !,000's for a week. Like $3,000 to $4,000 for a week and Europeans have no problem paying it. It's a convenient location to everything.

sissypop

Oh, hell no. They can't come in after midnight. I am awake till 2 am. So, I am awake when I meet them. Also, they all write before hand. There are several exchanges to make sure we both are a good fit. They are all educated and in bed before me type of people. You get to set the rules, Sissy...so you can say no one in after a certain time. And, they must be out by what time the next day type of thing.

There are rules. I make everyone take their shoes off upon entering.
Thank you. I'm so happy you found a way to make some money. I've read many of your posts and admire your fight and grit toward this disease and all the crap it brings with it.

ghosalb

Hi @Misfit Toy ...why are you charging only half for airport pick up ?....your service is better (safer, no chance of getting lost, specially at night etc. etc.) than taxi or uber...after gas and car wear/tear you are not making much....you should charge at least same as taxi.....just a thought

It is great that you are making money and having social life as an extra perk....

Are you near Villanova/Bryn Mawr ?...... I lived in Philly for 8 years attending UPenn.....used to visit friends near valley forge/king of Prussia area...

Misfit Toy

Are you near Villanova/Bryn Mawr ?...... I lived in Philly for 8 years attending UPenn.....used to visit friends near valley forge/king of Prussia area...

Ghost, I am right near Bryn Mawr! I am at Swarthmore College, Bryn Mawr's sister school. I went to Temple University!

Do you really think $25-30 for pickup? I charge $15. I am so close to the airport.