• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

supplement recommendations?

outdamnspot

My parents gave me some money, which never usually happens. I wanted to purchase some of my staple supplements, but was wondering if there was anything else I should consider buying (a broad question, I know). I have severe adrenal fatigue, and struggle to tolerate a lot, especially stuff the lowers Cortisol. The only things I've found that help consistently, really, are: Shilajit for mental stamina and time-release Vitamin C (taken before bed .. the only thing that knocks me out reliably).

Here's what hasn't helped:

Magnesium
Niacin
Theanine
Methyl-B12
Methyl-Folate
Reishi
Most probiotics
B-Vitamins
Resistant starch
Astragalus
Most herbs (just produce fatigue/die-off)

Considering trying:
D-ribose
B5

Thanks!

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
D-Ribose improves my stamina enough that I take it every day. It isn't a large improvement but enough to justify the cost. Vitacost has 300g of D-Ribose for approx. $24.00 USD which is one of the lowest prices I've seen.

Terry Naturally Clinical Glutathione helps reduce my brainfog. It's expensive but, as with the d-ribose, it helps me enough to justify the cost.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I agree about the d-ribose. I've been taking it for 12 years now I think. I tried cutting back on it last year and my energy declined so I keep it up.

Bulk Supplements has a good price: 500 grams for $25.00. It was available on Amazon just a week or 2 ago, but that size isn't available right now on Amazon (though they have other sizes - they may just be out of stock), but you can order it directly from Bulk Supplements.

Pantothenic acid (B5) has helped my adrenals so I think it's worth a try as well.

outdamnspot

Thanks for the recommendations! It was easier to just order everything from iherb, so I picked up Jarrow's d-ribose and glutathione! Hopefully they help.

@PatJ @Mary is d-ribose like a 'stimulant' at all, in the sense that it causes insomnia or can crash adrenals?

Mary

Moderator Resource
Thanks for the recommendations! It was easier to just order everything from iherb, so I picked up Jarrow's d-ribose and glutathione! Hopefully they help.

@PatJ @Mary is d-ribose like a 'stimulant' at all, in the sense that it causes insomnia or can crash adrenals?

It's never caused insomnia for me. I take 2 doses a day, one with my morning coffee and one after lunch. I've never taken it in the evening. All I know is it helps produce ATP, so I don't think it's a stimulant per se.

And it doesn't negatively affect my adrenals, which are quite sensitive.

Having said all this, some people don't do well with d-ribose but I think they're in the minority. Bulk Supplements sells a smaller size for around $15, less of an investment to see if you like it. I felt a benefit pretty quickly, within a day or 2.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant

I've never noticed any problems from it, except a very mild increase in sugar cravings for a week when I first started taking it a few years ago. I take 10mg split into three smaller doses in the morning and early afternoon.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Re adrenals - the thing that has helped me the most is an adrenal glandular. I've done very well with Standard Process Products, Drenamin and Drenatrophin. Cytozyme AD by Biotics and Adrenogen by Metagenics were also good. I had to initially take I think 3 times the recommended dose because I was so weak, but eventually was able to cut back.

echobravo

Keep searching, the answer is out there
the thing that has helped me the most is an adrenal glandula

Would this be something to consider if one cannot handle even the smallest stress (stressed out for nothing), has ortostatic intolerance, POTS (dizzy standing up, headaches, coathanger pain), poor temperature regulation, rapid pulse (causing me to wake up 04 in the morning, and also after meals), bloodwork showing high morning cortisol & low testosteron, anxious achy tense feeling in lower back (varies). and fatigue of course.

Could the adrenals be depleted from pouring out too much cortisol (or epinephr norepinephr) all the time? I had a head trauma in my teens from a car crash and it put my system on overdrive somehow - never being able to relax, always “alert”, anxious - PTSD probably. Wondering how the adrenals might have been affected over the years from a constant state of stress, and maybe too much sympathetic activation of the ANS.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@echobravo - I don't know if an adrenal glandular can help you with all those things. For me it primarily helps with fatigue and weakness related to my adrenals - afraid to say "adrenal fatigue" because many here will say it doesn't exist and I don't want to start a debate! - however, I have had severe fatigue related to ongoing severe stress, which was alleviated by adrenal glandular products. I did have lifelong severe stress related to childhood trauma so I'm sure it affected my adrenals badly. My chiropractor who does muscle testing found the problem with my adrenals and gave me an adrenal glandular and within a couple of my days my energy had gotten much better. I've needed glandulars off and on ever since (around 20 years)

As to POTS, I think I only have a mild case. I do eat a lot of salt, I love salty food, so salt might help you with that. There's a whole section on the board related to POTS and orthostatic intolerance. Is your rapid pulse related to low blood pressure? A couple of times my blood pressure has gotten quite low, and my pulse would correspondingly increase, I think trying to compensate.

As to handling stress - Several years ago I had severe middle of the night insomnia and finally it was discovered that my nighttime cortisol was high. I was given Seriphos (phosphorylated serine - NOT phosphatidyl serine, they are 2 different things) and the Seriphos immediately calmed me down and I was better able to deal with stress. I found it was best taken in the morning. When taken at night it caused a weird insomnia but in the day it just calmed me down.

Relora is another product that is supposed to help calm you down. One of the ingredients in Relora is magnolia bark and that as well can help with high cortisol

I hope this helps!

Mary

Moderator Resource
@echobravo - one more thing. There's a pose which, when done daily for 2 weeks, is supposed to help balance the autonomic nervous system. I can vouch that it does help with sleep, although in the long run it ended up stimulating my thyroid and thus eventually caused more sleep problems. Although I want to see if I can end up cutting my thyroid med because of doing the pose, this will take some experimentation and you don't need to know all this.

But, I just wanted to recommend that you try it. It is very calming, although I don't recommend doing it at night. Anyways, here's a thread I did on this pose, which tells about it and has links to see how it's done. I think it may help calm down your system. http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...-to-calm-balance-ans-stimulate-thyroid.52258/

outdamnspot

@Mary I have the Thorne adrenal cortex extract, but have always been a bit scared to try it, due to my sensitivities. If you could recommend one Adrenal supplement that helped you the most or was the most tolerable, which would it be?

@PatJ what time of the day do you tend to take the Glutathione?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant

I follow the instructions for Terry Naturally Clinical Glutathione which recommends taking one tablet in the AM and one in the PM, both on an empty stomach. I'm not sure if the timing would be the same with other types of glutathione.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary I have the Thorne adrenal cortex extract, but have always been a bit scared to try it, due to my sensitivities. If you could recommend one Adrenal supplement that helped you the most or was the most tolerable, which would it be?

I tried adrenal cortex extract and did not do well with it, but I can't remember what exactly happened. It may have been overstimulating, I just can't remember, but only took it a day or 2 and then stopped.

I've never had a bad reaction to any of the glandulars I mentioned above, although the one I have taken the most is from Standard Process because I've primarily seen chiropractors who use SP products. So I'd recommend either the SP Drenatrophin or Drenamin.

I've been helped on several occasions by my chiropractor who does muscle testing, and I'd recommend seeing someone like that if possible. He (and other chiropractors - I've moved a couple of times) have helped me a lot with several different issues. The muscle testing has not only helped pinpoint these issues, but also what supplement (if any) would help, and also how much to take. I was so weak when I first took an adrenal glandular muscle testing indicated to take about 3 times the recommended dose on the bottle. I think if I had just taken the standard dose, it would not have helped or would have taken much longer to do so. One way to find someone who uses SP products is to go to the SP website - they have a search feature for practitioners who use their products.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I tried adrenal cortex extract and did not do well with it, but I can't remember what exactly happened. It may have been overstimulating, I just can't remember, but only took it a day or 2 and then stopped.

Some extracts don't remove the hormones and can cause overstimulation.

NotThisGuy

@Mary
I always wondered about Drenatrophin PMG. What is it exactly?
Is it the whole adrenal? Is it adrenal Cortex tissue?
Does it contain adrenaline or Hormones?

NotThisGuy

Adrenal Supplements are the most confusing out there...
so we have:
adrenal tissue: I think thats the whole adrenal with Hormones and adrenaline
adrenal Cortex extract: that only contains adrenal Hormones like Cortison, aldosterone, estrogen and testosterone
adrenal concentrate: ???No idea can any one explain?
drenatrophin PMG: ??? fancy Name for.....????

dadouv47

What helped me a bit :
-B12 hydroxocobalamine (intramuscular)
-Biotin (5mg/day)
-Amino acids (gave me some boost/energy)
+ baking soda (for acid lactic in muscles and gastro intestinal issues)

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Mary
I always wondered about Drenatrophin PMG. What is it exactly?
Is it the whole adrenal? Is it adrenal Cortex tissue?
Does it contain adrenaline or Hormones?

Drenatrophin PMG is made by Standard Process. Here's a link describing what it contains, as well as another link describing what "PMG" means:

https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Standard-Process/Drenatrophin-PMG#.WeEAvrpFw2w
https://www.standardprocess.com/Products/Literature/Protomorphoge-Extracts

I don't know whether it contains adrenaline or hormones. You could contact Standard Process to find out.

dadouv47

where did you get the B12?

Local pharmacy

download.jpg