• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cold Harbor Retrovirus Meeting May 24 - 29 Keynote Speakers and Abstract Link

leelaplay

RETROVIRUSES May 24 - 29, 2010
Abstract Deadline: March 5, 2010

[sb: Please also see the Invest in ME Conference Programme for May 24. For me, May 24 is the new Oct 8. So much research - hooray. Just a pity that they are on the same day.]

This meeting is now oversubscribed and new registrations will be waitlisted.

Organizers:
Christopher Aiken, Vanderbilt University
Jeremy Luban, University of Geneva, Switzerland

We are pleased to host the 35th annual meeting on Retroviruses which will begin at 7:30 p.m. on Monday May 24 and end after lunch on Saturday May 29, 2010.

We are looking forward to a broad-based meeting, and abstracts are welcomed on all aspects of retrovirology.

Tentative Topics:
Entry
Post-Entry
Assembly / Release
Integration
Reverse Transcription / Recombination
Pathogenesis / Host Factors
Transcription, RNA Processing, Export, Packaging
Antivirals

Keynote Speakers:
David Baltimore, California Institute of Technology
Ruslan Medzhitov, Yale University School of Medicine
Sandra Ruscetti, National Cancer Institute
Rayla Temin, University of Wisconsin-Madison

Abstracts should contain only new and unpublished material and must be submitted electronically by the abstract deadline. Selection of material for oral and poster presentation will be made by the organizers and individual session chairs. Status (talk/poster) of abstracts will be posted on our web site as soon as decisions have been made by the organizers.

This conference is supported in part by funds provided by National Institutes of Health and CSHL's Corporate Sponsor Program.

http://meetings.cshl.edu/meetings/retro10.shtml

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link to the list of abstracts. I've copied over a few that look interesting. I probably missed others. Think there are over 300. Also interesting to see what rates a poster and what a talk.

http://meetings.cshl.edu/meetings/abstracts/2010retro_absstat.html

Aloia, A.L. Failure to detect XMRV in human prostate tumors poster

Bagni, R.K. Development of a multiplex serological assay to detect XMRV antibodies talk

Balasubramaniam, M. Host cell factors in retrovirus assembly and release talk

Bartels, H. Functional comparative analyses of glycosylated Gag molecules derived from different gammaretroviruses poster

Bego, M.G. Mechanisms of Type-I Interferon transcriptional regulation of Tetherin, a host factor restricting retrovirus release poster

Berger, G. Cell type specific antiviral effects of APOBEC3A during the early phases of lentiviral infection of myeloid cells and possible counteracting viral measures poster

Bhosle, S.M. Characterization of cellular determinants required for infection of XMRV, a novel retrovirus associated with human familial prostate cancer poster

Brown, C.A. Cytoskeletal regulatory proteins talin 1 and vinculin downregulate retroviral infection
talk

Bulliard, Y. Homologous loops contribute to the distinct antiviral activities of human APOBEC3A and APOBEC3G talk

Cingoz, O. Screening mouse genomes For XMRV-Like Elements talk

Das Gupta, J. Development of highly sensitive assays for the detection of XMRV nucleic acids in clinical samples poster

Gorzynski, J.E. Compounds that inhibit replication of XMRV, a virus implicated in prostate cancer and chronic fatigue syndrome talk

Gray, E. Investigation of XMRV as a human pathogen poster

Groom, H.C. Investigations into XMLV-related virus infection talk

Hanna, Z. XMRV is not detected in Quebec patients with chronic fatigue syndrome poster

Ikeda, Y. Wild-derived mouse strain (Mus pahari) as a small animal model for XMRV infection poster

Jensen, S.M. XMRV tropism in hematopoietic cells talk

Jones, K.S. Evidence for sequence variation in XMRV talk

Metzger, M.J. The human retrovirus XMRV produces rare transformation events in cell culture but does not have direct transforming activity talk

Paprotka, T. The XMRV is inhibited by APOBEC3 proteins and anti-HIV-1 drugs talk

Qiu, X. Immune responses in XMRV-infected rhesus macaquesSerological markers of XMRV infection poster

Rodriguez, J.J. XMRV Is inhibited by interferon independently of RNase L or Tetherin poster

Silverman, R.H. Comparison of XMRV infections in humans and rhesus macaques talk

Smith, R.A. Susceptibility of XMRV to antiretroviral inhibitors poster

Xu, W. Xpr1 is necessary but not sufficient for XMRV entry poster

Zhang, A. Effects of interferon regulated proteins, RNase L and APOBEC3G, on XMRV replication
poster

leelaplay

so about 20 titles with XMRV of new and unpublished material were submitted before March 5. And I'm sure some of the others are releveant, I jsut don't know the science well enough to know which.

I am so excited.

Sing

Thanks for posting this, shrewsbury. The name of the lab hosting the Retroviruses Conference, however, is the Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (Cold Spring Harbor, Long Island, New York).

Sing

omerbasket

Groom, H.C. Investigations into XMLV-related virus infection talk
This is a small thing, but this is the only place in all of these abstracts where XMRV is not named XMRV but "XMLV-related virus". It's the speech of Dr. Groom, one of the researchers in the second failure-to-detect-XMRV-study.
It's not that XMLV-related virus is not a correct name (because XMRV is Xenotropic Murine leukemia virus-Related Virus), but to me it sounds as a name of someone that wants to dismiss the possibility of XMRV as a cause of human disease (or at least as a cause of ME/CFS), because it is known that when people wants to take something into the way they want it to be they sometimes change it's name. Such things happen with, for examples, names of countries. It's not even that he used the whole name here (although I don't know, perhaps it's a matter of a number of letters the he was limited to). As I said, XMLV-related virus and XMRV are the initials of the same name - but perhaps Groom wants to say it differently (by the way, in his study regarding XMRV and ME/CFS the title is: "Absence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus in UK patients with chronic fatigue syndrome", like the title of the study of Van der Meer and as oppose to the title of Wessely's [not that he is any better] study which contains the word "XMRV").
I could very well be wrong here, and I honestly don't know his intentions, but the use of a different way of saying the virus name makes me a little suspicious.

leelaplay

Groom, H.C. Investigations into XMLV-related virus infection - talk
This is a small thing, but this is the only place in all of these abstracts where XMRV is not named XMRV but "XMLV-related virus". It's the speech of Dr. Groom, one of the researchers in the second failure-to-detect-XMRV-study.

It's not that XMLV-related virus is not a correct name (because XMRV is Xenotropic Murine leukemia virus-Related Virus), but to me it sounds as a name of someone that wants to dismiss the possibility of XMRV as a cause of human disease (or at least as a cause of ME/CFS), because it is known that when people wants to take something into the way they want it to be they sometimes change it's name. <snip> As I said, XMLV-related virus and XMRV are the initials of the same name - but perhaps Groom wants to say it differently (by the way, in his study regarding XMRV and ME/CFS the title is: "Absence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus in UK patients with chronic fatigue syndrome", like the title of the study of Van der Meer and as oppose to the title of Wessely's [not that he is any better] study which contains the word "XMRV").

I could very well be wrong here, and I honestly don't know his intentions, but the use of a different way of saying the virus name makes me a little suspicious.

Hi omerbasket,

(my cynic responds) My guess is that you are spot on. He's probably continuing to milk his previous research, repackaging it as something new, looking for that next article after the conference to keep his job.

Sure wish they were webcasting like the CROI did. I don't want to wait for the results.

ETA - poor writing on my part - instead of "to keep his job, I meant "to meet the publishing requirements of his job"

parvofighter

No luck

Hi Sing,

I emailed their contact person to ask if they would be posting any Expert Interviews, as they have done for some of their past conferences. No go. Same for uploading abstracts, video. Nada. I also signed up for their Message Board, but as far as I could discern this was just a trip down memory lane for their alumni.

Good though that this conference was oversubscribed. Nice to have all that activity, eh?

Hopefully we'll see independent posts by some of the participants in the near future.

Parvo:Retro smile:

Kati

Patient in training
Of note to add to Parvo, if new research info leaks out before it is published, chances are the paper will not be published or has more chances to be refused. We have to be patient and make sure we create no harm to the people that want to help us.

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Of note to add to Parvo, if new research info leaks out before it is published, chances are the paper will not be published or has more chances to be refused. We have to be patient and make sure we create no harm to the people that want to help us.

chickenpatience.jpg

Actually, I'm TIRED of even THINKING of having to be patient, STILL.

Are we there yet?

Sing

Patience

I love that joke, Gracenote.

Well there are a lot of good heads being put together, for a full week's conference, so I bet some smart approaches to new research projects, etc. are being developed.

I feel like someone sitting in the dining room watching cooks periodically dash in and out of the kitchen, but who always firmly close the door behind them. I know they are working on something and eventually there is going to be a great feast, but in the meantime, I JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT!

Sing

parvofighter

Good point Kati,

I was thinking of the Vincent Racaniello type of post... legit, sanctioned, etc. It is a shame however, when CROI was so transparent, that Cold Spring Harbor is taking another tack. The waiting game continues...

Otis

Señor Mumbler
I feel like someone sitting in the dining room watching cooks periodically dash in and out of the kitchen, but who always firmly close the door behind them. I know they are working on something and eventually there is going to be a great feast, but in the meantime, I JUST HAVE TO BE PATIENT!

Sing

If they're just serve us some appetizers and vino this waiting would be so much easier. :cool:

Sing

I sent a letter to the Cold Spring Harbor Lab today, expressing my interest in getting a summary of their weeklong conference on Retroviruses. I said I am part of a large patient group with ME/CFS, which is linked to XMRV, and that we are seeking news.

Sing

citybug

Could anyone try to get Ruscetti's opening remarks from her, or was it him? I can't right now. Thanks for trying to get report.