• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Unrest" updates

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
Just got the email!!! Pre-orders of Unrest on iTunes for my area (Mountain time US) are now available to download!!! :)

How are you all downloading it? I got an Indee link which doesn't allow downloads which means I can't download it to watch on my TV (and streaming sucks due to slow internet).

I'm a little disappointed to say the least. (Canary in a Coal Mine Kickstarter explicitly stated "digital download", not streaming.)

daisybell

How are you all downloading it? I got an Indee link which doesn't allow downloads which means I can't download it to watch on my TV (and streaming sucks due to slow internet).

I'm a little disappointed to say the least. (Canary in a Coal Mine Kickstarter explicitly stated "digital download", not streaming.)
I haven’t tried yet...

The iTunes download isn't from the kickstarter campaign. I just went on iTunes a couple of weeks ago and selected the pre-order for it, and now that it has released on iTunes in the US, I can go to the iTunes store under my purchases and download it. I'm assuming it is probably a completely different process from what would be avialable from the kickatarter campaign. You might have to ask the Unrest team directly to figure out where the mix up is with your indee link? Sorry I don't know much anout those.

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
I just downloaded it into my iPad from iTunes. It was $15 US for preorder. I'm assuming I can download it to my computer also via iTunes?

Gonna save it for tomorrow - late here. Can't wait to see it again.

Yes exactly this. I was expecting to get a file I could put on a device without internet connection, basically the main file from the dvd without the overhead of having to produce the disk. I watched some last night and the quality wasn't great. Rather frustrating :(

slysaint

email from #MEAction

Unrest is almost here
While Unrest's UK theatrical premiere is still a week away, it's already started making waves with this interview with Jennifer Brea on BBC Radio 4's The Film Programme and this piece in the BMJ.

We at #MEAction are so thrilled to be partnering with the Unrest team on its global campaign and wanted to share with you a special opportunity to support the film's UK campaignthanks to Doc Society, a British charity that supports social issue documentaries.

Doc Society is the fiscal sponsor of Unrest's UK campaign. When UK taxpayers donate to Doc Society, they can choose to gift-aid their donation to the Time for Unrest campaign, which means the campaign will benefit from an additional 25% of the donation's value. For example, if you donate £100, Time for Unrest will receive £125. To learn more, email unrest@docsociety.org.

Your contributions support Time for Unrest's London-based team and their outreach efforts to bring Unrest to universities, medical schools, academic science departments, and ensure the film is seen by key leaders in media and government. Their first stop? The Speaker's House to screen an excerpt of Unrest to members of Parliament.

This is only the beginning of the impact Unrest *could* have in the UK, with your help.

Support the campaign

Hajnalka

And Jen will be coming to the UK soon. I'm a little envious of all that's going on in the UK with Unrest (theatrical release, professional outreach team, screenings for politicians, many community screenings, visit from Jen). In Germany we have only one single community screening (!) set up so far by volunteers in the whole country. But I know that we will profit worldwide from the advocacy work that is done in any country, so I'm mainly happy and very grateful. :thumbsup: :hug:

mfairma

My wife and I watched Unrest last night.

*** A few spoilers ahead ***

We had seen some early footage of the film some years ago, so knew going into it that the story she wanted to tell would be different than the story we would want told. But, having interacted with Jen on several occasions and having seen the reaction the film has received, expected the film to be at least great, even if different from what we wanted. We both came away disappointed. Our reaction seems to be well in the minority, but I wanted to share what we felt.

There were a number of things that I personally found odd or surprising, but what shocked me the most was how poorly the movie expressed what the disease was to viewers. While you gain an understanding of the disease from the stories of the various patients, including Jen, there was never any one point at which the documentary described what the disease is. This leaves viewers with a nebulous impression of the disease, where we desperately need clarity. More shocking, to me, was that, unless we missed it, there was never any clear explanation of what PEM is and how it differs from other diseases. The first reference to PEM is in a patient’s tweet about five minutes or so into the movie and the closest description of the symptom is probably in some footage where Jen takes an exercise test, which is perhaps 30-40 minutes into the movie. For a disease that has been held back because it has been painted as simple chronic fatigue, not discussing clearly the core symptom is baffling.

The decision of what content to focus on is of course an editorial choice and Jen’s, but we were surprised that there was no mention of Rituxan or interview with the Norwegians, no discussion of PACE, and so little discussion of the science behind the disease. My wife particularly found this surprising as she has found that people with whom she discusses my illness respond most to the story of Rituxan (a drug I have been taking for four years) and the community’s inability to get funding for treatment trials six years after that first big study, as well as the story of PACE, where the authors perverted the definition of recovery so much that you could worsen during the study and still be classified as having recovered. Everyone is different and we all have different motivations, but, to us, these aspects of our history are the most compelling aspects of the situation. We felt leaving them out misses some easy opportunities to sell viewers on the biology of the disease and the outrageousness of how we have been treated. My wife was particularly upset in this regard because she felt that the documentary did not live up to the original kickstarter’s apparent intention to focus heavily on history and science.

The story of this disease, of course, can be told in many different ways and I don’t think its unreasonable to have decided to focus more on the emotional side of things, as Jen did, but what surprised me aside from how the disease was described and the choice of content was how little narrative focus there was. My wife and I both felt as we watched that the movie attempted to cram in too many diverging elements, and that doing so not only made the movie less cohesive than it should have been, but significantly lessened the impact of its heartbreaking and brilliant moments.

It felt to me that the movie wasn’t sure whether it wanted to be a movie about how a couple copes with chronic illness, a movie about how ME patients have been treated by society and medicine, a movie about how patients try to survive the disease, a movie about the history of ME, or how patients are trying to advocate for the disease. There were just so many elements and none felt fleshed out enough to have the impact that each would have had had there been more focus. ***SPOILER*** I felt this particularly during a moment where Leeray’s husband explains that he left his wife after many years of her being sick, but continued to provide for her financially because he felt the illness must be psychological and that the best thing he could do for her was to put her in a position where she would have to start being active again. It’s an absolutely devastating, heartbreaking moment, but the movie moves so quick and covers so much territory thematically that the scene loses much of its impact. And there are a number of moments like this throughout the film that shine, but aren’t given enough time to breathe, bits and pieces of Jen and Omar’s relationship, how Karina’s parents reacted and coped with her sectioning, parts of the section on the millions missing protest.

Relatedly, the movie felt a bit scattershot. There was a protracted section where Jen goes to a Princeton reunion that was meant to demonstrate noise sensitivity and, I suppose, PEM, but the overloud noise of the parade isn’t given enough explanation to make clear whats happening and why the volume has suddenly increased significantly. Another section focuses on all the crazy treatments patients try, but seems to fail to delineate between a number of clearly sham treatments, like lightning process, with potentially more useful treatments, such as mold avoidance and supplements and antivirals. In the same segment, Jen sets up a tent on her lawn with Omar to test mold avoidance and the film spends 10-15 seconds with Jen being short with Omar about how he should go shower and change again since he had just dipped into the house for a minute, which could be contaminated. Watching, I was unsure what lesson to take from this, the frustration and difficulty of caregivers supporting their spouses, the frustration of trying such bizarre treatments and not knowing what is enough or good, something else?

In short, there are some moments of brilliance in this film, and it feels like there is an amazing and truly transformative film that could have been made from the footage that was collected, but there wasn’t enough narrative focus and there wasn’t a clear enough explanation of the disease, early on, to really anchor the stories told throughout. Clearly, the film is building awareness, but I, personally, wouldn’t want to try to use it as an educational project, because of how nebulously it describes the disease, and I’m thankful that journalists are beginning to understand the situation enough to give the context that the movie does not.

Gingergrrl

*** A few spoilers ahead ***

I have seen the film so spoilers not an issue for me but appreciated the warning and that was very thoughtful of you!

More shocking, to me, was that, unless we missed it, there was never any clear explanation of what PEM is and how it differs from other diseases

This is fascinating b/c I viewed it 100% differently. My illness shares many overlapping features with ME/CFS but PEM is not one of them. I have been on PR since 2014 and it wasn't until watching Unrest that I truly understood what PEM is and it confirmed for me that I have never experienced it.

Vs. there was a scene where Jen was holding a heavy basin filled with water over her head to wash her own hair. On my very best day now, there is not a chance in hell that I would have the muscle strength to hold something heavy over my head and would struggle even to hold something light-weight over my head (both for autonomic reasons b/c I have severe POTS and b/c raising my arms over my head is nearly impossible for me and I suspect always will be).

The film made me realize that Jen had days that she can do things that I could never dream of doing but then had other days in which she is drastically sicker than I am. She had great variance in functioning vs. every day is the same for me. But prior to IVIG and Rituximab, I was close to totally disabled and now I am dramatically improved. I can now open doors, take a shower without assistance, prepare my own food, walk inside my apt without wheelchair, open water bottles, cut paper with a scissors, and things I never dreamed I would do again. But it is still that I either can or cannot do something, and it does not change from day to day (which is how I viewed the concept of "PEM" and why pacing helps reduce PEM but it does zero for me).

The decision of what content to focus on is of course an editorial choice and Jen’s, but we were surprised that there was no mention of Rituxan or interview with the Norwegians

I have to admit that I was disappointed in this as well and kept waiting for Fluge & Mella and the Ritux trial to at least be mentioned. I had also hoped that POTS and MCAS might get an honorable mention but I understood that this was not what the film was about!

My wife particularly found this surprising as she has found that people with whom she discusses my illness respond most to the story of Rituxan (a drug I have been taking for four years)

@mfairma I would LOVE to hear more about your experience with taking Rituximab for four years!! That is incredible. Was this with an ME/CFS diagnosis or due to another illness? I have done the first two Ritux infusions (with the next one approx the first week of Nov pending insurance issues getting resolved). I have also had 15 months of IVIG.

***SPOILER*** I felt this particularly during a moment where Leeray’s husband explains that he left his wife after many years of her being sick, but continued to provide for her financially because he felt the illness must be psychological and that the best thing he could do for her was to put her in a position where she would have to start being active again. It’s an absolutely devastating, heartbreaking moment, but the movie moves so quick and covers so much territory thematically that the scene loses much of its impact.

** SPOILER** This was the first scene in the movie that brought me to tears, in addition to when their daughter got sick, and then how they re-married in the end. I literally wanted to watch an entire movie just about their story and how their marriage ended but later came back together b/c clearly there is a massive amount that occurred that we did not get to see and I was captivated by their story and wanted to learn more.

JenB

Narrowly: on the question of PEM, there is an entire section on PEM that explains anaerobic v. aerobic metabolism, the energy envelope, the fact that you only see patients when they are at their best and that when they crash, they disappear, and includes an animation of a mitochondrion as well as me at a whiteboard drawing the Citric Acid Cycle. You also *see* examples of PEM throughout the film, not just in my story but in Jessica's as well. I can't tell you how many times at Q&As or after the film, audience members (unconnected to the disease) ask me if I am going to "crash" after the screening like I do in the film after the parade. Or who apologize for talking to me b/c they fear they are going to crash me. Given how many times I have had to say to folks, "no, I'm not going to crash, I'm staying within my limit" or "I might but it was worth it to be able to be here tonight," I do think at least that message is getting across loud and clear, at least to most.

JenB

** SPOILER** This was the first scene in the movie that brought me to tears, in addition to when their daughter got sick, and then how they re-married in the end. I literally wanted to watch an entire movie just about their story and how their marriage ended but later came back together b/c clearly there is a massive amount that occurred that we did not get to see and I was captivated by their story and wanted to learn more.

It's an *incredible* story. I hope to be able to tell it in full someday! Or at least in fuller.

Gingergrrl

on the question of PEM

I have to be honest (b/c my illness does not include PEM) that your film was the very first time that I truly understood it no matter how many times I'd read about it on PR (for over 3 yrs). I thought you did an excellent job of both explaining it and demonstrating it. It's just a concept that I think is very hard to explain. Like when I tried to explain to people what a 'histamine surge" and "stage 2 anaphylaxis" (from MCAS) is or even what a severe POTS episode felt like, I often got blank stairs unless the person had experienced it themself!

It's an *incredible* story. I hope to be able to tell it in full someday! Or at least in fuller.

I was so sorry that you were not able to attend the Q&A for the screening that I attended (on 9/29 in SM) but I knew after seeing "Unrest" that I would support any future films you make on any topic. If you are able to more fully tell the story of that couple (I already forgot their names!) I would love to see it. When he sat at her bed (years later after the divorce) and said that he didn't know if he had enough life in him to fully apologize to her but would spend the rest of his life trying, I was mesmerized and wanted to know what had led up to that moment and also to them getting re-married (which was so fast, you could miss it if you turned your head for a second)!

leela

Of course everyone is totally entitled to their opinion, but let's be honest here--it's easy to be an armchair critic but who among us (besides Ryan Pryor) has it in them to make a movie, much less take it around the globe for financing, distribution, workshopping, and film festival accolade?

Having worked in film production before I got sick, I can tell you that the mental focus, organization and strength it took Jen to make this little gem, much less get it out to such a huge audience--including theatrical release!-- to such great acclaim, is beyond anything I could do with the entire rest of my life. What she's done is nothing short of a miracle.

It's one thing to have the thought that, to you, the film was lacking in this or that way; but is it necessary to say that aloud? I believe it's more productive and contributory to focus on what is great about it, and praise her for doing this, doing this for all of us, doing this for all the people who are ignorant of our plight and might now have a more open mind.

Thank you, @JenB

JenB

Thank so much for your kind words about the process, Leela. It took more than I ever knew I had to give.

Folks should really feel free to say what they like – I really don't mind that not everyone loves the film. I just think it's important to bear in mind that the way any one person receives the film isn't necessarily the way others or the public more broadly will. We worked very hard to translate the experience of living with ME to a general audience. An incredible amount of thought, intention, and experimentation (i.e., audience testing) went into it. There was deep mentorship and creative collaboration with some incredible filmmakers via the Sundance Edit & Story Lab and other spaces.

We also had specific aims. My aim was to make a critically acclaimed, festival film that would receive broad distribution and generate a ton of press. We did that. A second goal was to use Unrest to help grow and build the movement. We are doing that and time will tell how successful we will have been. The ultimate goal is to achieve a deep and lasting resonance in our culture (only time will tell). Making an educational film for medical doctors, a PACE expose, or a NOVA or Discovery-style TV documentary are entirely different but also important goals. Someone should make those films; we need them. If this film aimed to be the latter, it would have failed at that goal. But it aimed to be a Sundance film, which it was and which I also think this movement needed, among the constellation of many things this movement needs.

Last edited:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
My aim was to make a critically acclaimed, festival film that would receive broad distribution and generate a ton of press. We did that.

A second goal was to use Unrest to help grow and build the movement. We are doing that and time will tell how successful we will have been.

The ultimate goal is to achieve a deep and lasting resonance in our culture (only time will tell).
(line breaks added to make it a bit easier to read)

@JenB - Thank you for laying out the goals of this film so clearly that even this brain-fogged patient, someone who knows nothing about public relations or film-making, could understand.

My husband and I saw Unrest when it was in Portland, Oregon on Oct. 4th. And then we stayed for the Q & A that you did via Skype after the show. Many, many thanks for making this beautiful film and for all the hard work you have done to promote it. :heart:

Last edited: