• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Belgian newspaper Nieusblad has reported that De Meirleir is being prosecuted

ivorin

Curious Kenny and The Case Of The Caried-off Cure.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

Hardly, unless you took him seriously in the first place.
Old post "Makes sense. Another ME scammer that took advantage of desperate sick people, to pedal his own line of snake oil. No wonder people on PR are skeptical, and push for published, peer review research."

Edited:
New Post: After reading the articles posted in this thread, KDM appears to have engaged in some illegal activity in his past. I find this disturbing, since ME patients may feel a sense of desparation. I hate to think of anyone seeking help to be taken advantage of, especially with the high cost of treatments as mentioned in one of the articles.

I have often wondered why people on PR are so insistent in pressing for published peer review research. I finally had a light bulb moment, today, after reading the posted articles.

I am not a patient nor ex patient of KDM.

If KDM is being charged in Belgium, as detailed in the article, then it's up to the courts to decide if he is innocent or guilty. If he is found guilty, I may use colorful language to describe him.

Last edited:

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Makes sense. Another ME scammer that took advantage of desperate sick people, to pedal his own line of snake oil. No wonder people on PR are skeptical, and push for published research.
He has his supporters on PR so I've learnt not to go on about it, but I completely agree with you. Sends patients for expensive tests to labs where he has a financial interest, then sells them "treatments" in which he has a financial interest. Seems to prefer taking out patents to publications, which is a shame because his ideas can never properly be scrutinized by the M.E. scientific community. Prefers to run a one-man money-making outfit.

Last edited:

Groggy Doggy

He has his supporters on PR so I've learnt not to go on about it, but I completely agree with you. Sends patients for expensive tests to labs where he has a financial interest, then sells them "treatments" in which he has a financial interest. Seems to prefer patents to publications, which is a shame because his ideas can never properly be scrutinized by the M.E. scientific community. Prefers to run a one-man money-making outfit.
It's hard to understand why anyone would take him seriously after doing some research on his sordid past? Why don't patients take legal action and ask for their money back?

unicorn7

Makes sense. Another ME scammer that took advantage of desperate sick people, to pedal his own line of snake oil. No wonder people on PR are skeptical, and push for published, peer review research.

Maybe we can leave words like scammer until he's actually found guilty of something..:confused:

From what I read the problem seems to be illegally importing drugs that are not allowed in Belgium (Nexavir). Possibly making money out of this.
They are not accusing him of bad treatment of patients!

I can't say anything about the importing of medicines, but the making money part I find pretty hard te believe. When Kalida started selling 4ME, it was actually 50% off from what people were paying before that time. And they got the price only lower and lower since then.

I have read all this stuff before I went there. Maybe I'm now biased because the treatment worked for me:D. I just really think there would be an easier way to make money;)

Other than that, Kalida seems to be just a normal online supplement business. I buy my supplements there, I couldn't care less if it was a company owned by his wife. I could buy my supplements somewhere else, but they are pretty cheap there and the service is good.

dadouv47

He could charge 300-400+ euros per appointment instead of 70 and still have a lot of patients and win more money than he does with blood tests.

If you look deeply at the XMRV scandal you can see he wasn't directly involved (otherwise I wouldn't have gone to see him).

The Nexavir stuff remains to be investigated, and I'm not naive to believe that he doesn't have ANY KIND of conflict of interest with Redlabs (and maybe Kalida). But it doesn't mean that he uses Redlabs only for money and not because he thinks it gives him more reliable test results (and some tests he order are not available in other Belgian laboratories and cost the same price in other countries).

I think 95%+ of his patients knew about all this before starting treatment with him. So I guess it's up to the patient to believe that he uses his tests and treatments for the good of his patients (even if he wins money).

If his goal was to be rich and Redlabs/Kalida gave him so much money, he would be on a his private island right now. He's old and still want to treat patients and do research. The man can't stop working. His weakest quality (than can lead to some medical mistakes) is his ego, not his desire for money.

You shouldn't be happy even if you hate KDM and don't believe in what he does. The author is clearly more a GET/pacing trial believer and I find it a odd coincidence to have such a big scandal with the only famous CFS practitioner in Belgium (and maybe in Europe) several weeks after the CDC decided to review his guidelines towards GET/Pace trial. Even more because everything in the article happened 10 years ago, and there's not a SINGLE new information. The author didn't mention Lyme once, that shows how much he doesn't follow KDM work at all (that you can hate if you want, that's not the point I'm trying to make).

JES

Makes sense. Another ME scammer that took advantage of desperate sick people, to pedal his own line of snake oil. No wonder people on PR are skeptical, and push for published, peer review research.

Opinions on KDM are varied, but fact is he has published in peer-reviewed journals, in fact quite a few articles (source). Probably more than the average CFS/ME doctor. I would not put him in the same category as a homeopath or someone who believes in the Lightning Process etc., and yet those people are still around selling their stuff.

frederic83

Opinions on KDM are varied, but fact is he has published in peer-reviewed journals, in fact quite a few articles (source). Probably more than the average CFS/ME doctor. I would not put him in the same category as a homeopath or someone who believes in the Lightning Process etc., and yet those people are still around selling their stuff.

Error with the link. The good link.

Edit, your link is working now...

dadouv47

How do you know how much money KDM has or does not have?

I don't. And I never said he doesn't have money. I don't know how much money he has. I'm just pointing out the fact that if his goal was money he would have a really different lifestyle in my opinion (or he wants to spend his money when he will be 80+ years old)

If the justice want to know how much money he (or his wife) won from Redlabs and Kalida, it shouldn't be so difficult to find out.