• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reaction to Stevia?

ChrisD

This afternoon I made some Ketogenic chocolate mousse and used Stevia for the sweetener. It triggered quite a fast reaction within 10 minutes; a general inflammation feeling and exacerbation of symptoms such as Jaw stiffness/tension, flared sinuses/nostrils and almost the same feeling I have when i have taken Glutamate.

What could this be? Since I suspect that I may have a Bartonella/Lyme infection, I jumped to conclusions and considered it could be something to do with that as I know Stevia treats Lyme (supposedly)....

duncan

...in vitro, and in relatively huge proportions, if I recall. You may wish to look over Eva Sapi's research into Stevia, but I dunno about you having inadvertantly triggered a herx, if that is what you are suggesting.

Perhaps you are sensitive to the Stevia itself, or something in the mousse?

erin

If you've used one of the popular brand of stevia, they are apparently full of toxic stuff and not good. Maybe you had a reaction to the chemical toxic stuff in stevia.

I grown mine and process it my self but does taste pretty rancid. Hate stevia.

Jan

If you've used one of the popular brand of stevia, they are apparently full of toxic stuff and not good. Maybe you had a reaction to the chemical toxic stuff in stevia.

I grown mine and process it my self but does taste pretty rancid. Hate stevia.

Really? I've been using this stuff for ages to sweeten drinks etc, you've got me worried now.

erin

Really? I've been using this stuff for ages to sweeten drinks etc, you've got me worried now.

Ups sorry, I don't mean to worry anyone. Worrying is not good. I've read all over that regular brands are not pure, full of preservatives, additives, anticaking agents etc.

I hope I'm wrong.

ChrisD

@Tammy It says 97% Rebaudioside A and doesn't state the 3%, but I understand from some other online forum entries that people are having a similar reaction...

Helen

@ChrisD, for what it´s worth, I´m recommended by a doctor to take Stevia (from Nutrimedix) for Lyme as Stevia is expected to dissolve the biofilm of the borrelia bacterias.

Jan

I have been using Truvia, ingredients as follows
Spoonable

Erythritol

Steviol Glycosides (Stevia Leaf Extract)

Natural Flavourings

Tablets (which I have been using the most)

• Lactose (From Milk)

• Steviol Glycosides (Stevia Leaf Extract)

• Flavourings

• Cross-Linked Cellulose Gum (Stabiliser)

• Magnesium Salts of Fatty Acids (Stabiliser)

ChrisD

It's strange because I often use this same Stevia in a warm/hot Bulletproof coffee drink but this time round I made a cold Chocolate mousse with it and then had the reaction, where as usually I would have no problem. Anyway I will probably just bin it now.

I think it could be to do with the fact that I am on a keto diet and it tricked my body into thinking it was receiving glucose and consequently threw my adrenals out of whack. Or it is heavily contaminated and that it was why I had an inflammation reaction

perchance dreamer

I use birch xylitol to sweeten my coffee because stevia tastes vile to me. I know the taste depends on the brand, though. I just never found one that didn't have a weird aftertaste.

Some people don't do well with xylitol or any of the sugar alcohols. I just use 1 tsp. and rarely use it in cooking.

I did once try a chocolate coconut-milk pudding that was really good. It was similar to this recipe, but I used a little xylitol instead of honey or stevia. Coconut cream is naturally sweet, so little additional sweetener is required for this recipe.

https://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com...lk-Chocolate-Mousse-dairy-free-paleo-friendly

ChrisD

These reactions — known as MSG symptom complex — include:
  • Headache
  • Flushing
  • Sweating
  • Facial pressure or tightness
  • Numbness, tingling or burning in the face, neck and other areas
  • Rapid, fluttering heartbeats (heart palpitations)
  • Chest pain
  • Nausea
  • Weakness
I basically had all of these plus a flare of my fibromyalgia...

erin

I found once freezing Stevia makes its taste less rancid. I've read this in a website and it works to a degree. But there's so much stevia one can handle.

Maybe using larger amounts in puddings is the problem as oppose to a pinch of it in cup of coffee.