• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Info obtained using FOI on PACE Trial application for funding in 2002

Esther12

Looks like they've redacted all of the stuff from Action for ME.

Action for ME need to start being open about their past actions and mistakes before people will be able to trust them again. It would be interesting to see the MRC's justifications for their redactions.

Last edited:

JohntheJack

Looks like they've redacted all of the stuff from Action for ME.

Action for ME need to start being open about their part actions and mistakes before people will be able to trust them again. It would be interesting to see the MRC's justifications for their redactions.

Though it does state AfME were paid a consultancy fee, which I had not known.

Edit: or at least such a fee was budgeted for.

Woolie

Four things really strike me about this doc.

First, the main PIs' research records were pretty humble prior to PACE. They really made their careers on PACE.

Second, I find it incredibly odd that the information about other sources of funding available for the project was redacted. How can they justify hiding such information? One is left to infer that they are hiding DWP or insurance industry support.

Third, why is so much of the document redacted? What could be sensitive about a description of the proposed project? The only information that should be redacted is personal information. @Esther12, how can you tell its AfMe stuff?

Fourth, even what's left in this doc shows the AfME's complicity in this trial in all its shame. They would have been better to refuse to be involved. They allowed themselves to be used in a rubber stamping exercise. This is another lesson in the long lines of lessons about why patient organisations should stay out of the Big Tent. This enables them to be misused, to support researchers' claims that they had 'patient consultation'.

@charles shepherd, I hope the MEA is fully aware of how being part of the CMRC could be misused against patients. Getting out sends a strong message, that this research collaboration does not have patient support.

JohntheJack