• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do you feel after you eat?

Shell

Agree with you there Sea.There's nothing 'normal' about how utterly crap I feel after I've eaten. I am now eating very small meals and trying to snack a bit to make up - but family meals are diffcult. I've been drinking a lot more but then I seem to be retaining the bloomin'fluids Arrgh can't win! lol.
And the Siesta is about full on heat of the day. In Italy where my son was for a time the siesta was to get out of the sun and then at night shops and resturants and so on stayed open well into the night and heavy meals were eaten then too - without needing to stop the fun afterwards.

I also wonder about the afternoon slump thing. I remember studies that suggested business lunches should be alcohol free as it affected post lunch productivity.

LiveAgain

I get very spacey and brain foggy after I eat - (well foggier I'm already chronically dizzy). It comes over my brain like cloud and I feel like I can't focus my eyes. I have POTS, but I feel like there's more to it than that. Heavy carbs are definitely worse. I had a GTT years ago and it showed that my sugar didn't move - it didn't really dip or rise, the levels just stayed flat. I'm curious about getting the test done again, but with insulin levels.

Look into Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth (SIBO) in addition to leaky gut.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've been meaning to look into this for quite some time. I actuall just heard a podcast on Dr. Lo, she interviewed a Dr. who believes that SIBO is THE cause of Fibro in every case. This sounds a little over the top, but still worth looking into as he had a lot of good info. I think he conducted a study in which upon testing all of the subjects were found to have SIBO. SIBO can rob you of melatonin and tryptophan which could cause all the crap symptoms we have......theoretically.
THanks again,
Junto

I get the dreaded catatonic sleepys/ depression where I feel drugged .. For me so far this is from ecoli bacteria stirred up in my upper intestine.. I take homeoapthic ecoli and that helps. THe ecoli is stirred up for me when I am treating for other bacteria as well as when I am detoxing the high oxalates in my body. I believe bacteria uses up things like oxalates and when they are being eliminated the oxalates are released causing what appears to be more problems .. THere is a natural hiarchy between bacteria. So when I went to eliminate mycoplasma all of a sudden a past salmonella infection took over.. This has been studied between cholera and salmonella / ecoli bacteria.. where once the cholera is killed off the other two grow in the gut...

rosie26

The food that makes me feel the best after eating is a salad.
In the summer for dinner I often grate some carrot, also a wee bit of hard cheese, cut up some lettuce or salad leaves, 4-5 slices beetroot, 1/2 tomato, a wee bit of cucumber, 1/2 boiled egg, some sprouted beans and lentils, a little bit of chicken or ham slices and some mayonnaise.
My stomach always feels good afterwards and I find an hour or two later I feel like I have an appetite and want to eat. Which is very good for me as most often I don't feel like eating.

TrixieStix

Anyone feel like death after eating? Within 15-20mn after finishing a meal, I get MAJOR brain fog, fatigue, depression and sinus congestion. I almost certain that it's not due to a food allergen since I've experienced this after eating low-carb, high-carb, no gluten, no grains, no dairy, only meat, only veggie etc. I've also tried taking Betain/HCL with enzymes with meals, but I still get the crap symptoms. I also get bloating for a few hours after meals. This may go back to the whole leaky gut connection with CFS/Fibry...

Does anyone else get similar symptoms after eating????

Junto
Yes! it's not everyday but about once a week. After I eat my first meal after waking up I get hit with what I call the "car crash feeling". I hurt all over and feel absolutely horrible. I tell my husband I wouldn't want to live anymore if I felt like this all the time. It's that bad.

I have no idea why it happens. I plan on asking Dr. Chheda about it when I go to OMI next year.

Nanciswell, funny you mention e-coli. My brain fog has worsened dramatically after taking an ecoli probiotic Symbioflor-2 for 2 weeks. A month later and it hasn't abated one bit. It's particularly worse after eating - especially after breakfast. Stomach grumbling noises after eating has also increased inline with the increased brain fog.

Fogbuster

Does anyone else (who still visits this forum) have these kind of symptoms @Junto was having post eating? Hyperinsulinism is an interesting theory, but my food reactions too closely resemble the issues people with mast cell disorders have. I also respond positively to immune modulators. Anyway, it'd be good to hear from anyone who has similar issues.

Does anyone else (who still visits this forum) have these kind of symptoms @Junto was having post eating? Hyperinsulinism is an interesting theory, but my food reactions too closely resemble the issues people with mast cell disorders have. I also respond positively to immune modulators. Anyway, it'd be good to hear from anyone who has similar issues.

Getting tired/sleepy after eating should be evaluated in several ways. There are many factors involve but the first one is the blood sugar needed to be eliminated. Then there is a huge list follows, including GERD, Heart, Blood Pressure so goes on... It is best to be checked by gastroenterologist on this one instead of symtomps.

I frequently get (more) tired after eating. Over the years I have adopted a calorie dense approach to eating. Seems like the volume of food sets off the tiredness more than any other single thing. During the day, when I am trying to function, I eat only a little bit at a time. Like a cheese stick and hard boiled egg. I drink a lot of coffee and now add heavy whipping cream for the calories. Whole fat yogurt and cottage cheese are good. Sometimes I will make a smoothie of whey protein, banana, peanut butter but I have had bad reactions to this if I drink it too fast. I try to eat more in the evening when I can feel tired and go to bed. I have many food reactions and food allergies, including many things on the strictest parts of elimination diets. If I watch the volume of what I eat, avoid high histamine foods, and follow the fodmap diet mostly, then I do okay most of the time. High fat dairy, fish and meat are the easiest for me to tolerate. Anything that is mechanically broken down is better- like a mashed potato would be better than a baked potato. Cooked veggies are occasionally tolerable, never raw. Fresh juices tend to be too concentrated (even when diluted) and have dramatic GI effects. And, unintended weight loss is a constant issue. In addition to tiredness my reactions to food also often come with a headache the next day that lasts at least 24 hours and body aches, chills, brain fog and anxiety. Benadryl will often blunt the next day effects, if I know I have eaten something risky, like a grain. Basically, I have developed functional disordered eating to manage the symptoms. But, it keeps me going. :)