• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blood test results - help to understand please

Hi all
I had a series of blood tests three years ago when first diagnosed with CFS which I was told by the consultant as unremarkable (charming!). I have Gilbert's Syndrome with small fatty liver deposits. Previous EPV infection.
I've dug out the letter sent from the hospital as I think I need to go back to my GP for a check up and discuss a few new symptoms that have cropped up over the last year. I have no idea what some of these blood test results mean, so I wondered if anyone medical could explain them for me and whether they may be of interest to test again for? I'll type out out the results exactly as written in the the letter:

negative Hepatitis A, B and C
All lymphocyte counts are normal
immunoglobulins are normal (apart from a slight rise in IgA at 4.3 but no monochronal band), ANA anticardiolipin, antimitochondrials and smooth muscle, anti-gastric perital cells are all negative, compliment is normal.
HbA1c is 30 (normal)
White cells 6.8
Hb 162
platelets 2.53
neutrophils 4.2
ESR 4.2
creatinine 74
albumin 44
bilirubin 14
ALT 96
Troponin less than 17
CK 53
CRP 1
TSH 1.3
Vitamin B12 309
ACE 41.

If anyone could help me out I'd be very, very grateful!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
I have no idea what some of these blood test results mean, so I wondered if anyone medical could explain them for me and whether they may be of interest to test again for? I'll type out out the results exactly as written in the the letter:

negative Hepatitis A, B and C
All lymphocyte counts are normal
immunoglobulins are normal (apart from a slight rise in IgA at 4.3 but no monochronal band), ANA anticardiolipin, antimitochondrials and smooth muscle, anti-gastric perital cells are all negative, compliment is normal.
HbA1c is 30 (normal)
White cells 6.8
Hb 162
platelets 2.53
neutrophils 4.2
ESR 4.2
creatinine 74
albumin 44
bilirubin 14
ALT 96
Troponin less than 17
CK 53
CRP 1
TSH 1.3
Vitamin B12 309
ACE 41.

If anyone could help me out I'd be very, very grateful!

Those all look very normal to me as a physician. Ranges would help but they look within usual normal ranges. The Hb level suggests that you are male.

Those all look very normal to me as a physician. Ranges would help but they look within usual normal ranges. The Hb level suggests that you are male.
Correct about being male :) thanks for the reassurance, I don’t have the ranges unfortunately so can’t provide any more info.

Glycated Haemoglobulin, HbA1c of above 6% got me already a TYP 2 Diabetes diagnosis. 30% is only normal if one considers having advanced diabetes normal :bang-head:

Some consider a B12 already below 500 pg/ml deficient. Would get an additional serum homocysteine to confirm.

Thanks for replying; I’m overweight (trying hard to lose more) so I’m a little concerned that 30% is only normal against a certain parameter....do I bring this up with my GP?? Last time I saw GP I asked for B12 injections after the CFS clinic said it’s been known to help but the GP was having none of it!

notmyself

It is yes but probably because of my Gilbert’s Syndrome. I wonder whether a lot of my health issues are due to the liver hence asking what these results are all about.
i am no doctor..but if something is wrong with the liver,you can have all sorts of symptoms..

pamojja

I’m a little concerned that 30% is only normal against a certain parameter....do I bring this up with my GP??

The most important thing: always request a photo copy of your test results, and do keep oversight by entering it for example in a spreadsheet for seeing in which direction you're going. Most MDs only differentiate normal ranges and where it went that far off, that you're eligible for medications. Many preventives can be taken before that happens.

i assume that by HbA1c 30 you mean 30 mmol/mol not 30 %?!.

By now me too think, mmol/mol must be meant, which would be normal and therefore no reason of concern.

The most important thing: always request a photo copy of your test results, and do keep oversight by entering it for example in a spreadsheet for seeing in which direction you're going. Most MDs only differentiate normal ranges and where it went that far off, that you're eligible for medications. Many preventives can be taken before that happens.

By now me too think, mmol/mol must be meant, which would be normal and therefore no reason of concern.

I don't know - it's just a number written in a long paragraph in a letter sent from the consultant to my GP. As I'm still alive and haven't collapsed yet I assume it's normal :) I've only been tested once for all of these, but I'm really unsure as to whether the GP will refer me back for tests.

pamojja

As I'm still alive and haven't collapsed yet I assume it's normal :)

Lol, you mean once you collapsed and can't read lab tests anymore, that is all their predictive power and why they are performed? Lab test can track the progression or reversal of disease, along with intervention by measuring their efficacy.

Even if you don't use them to have objective feedback of recovery, it's always worthwhile to keep track of markers a bit off, like your ALT. Which in your case I personally would complement with a more thorough liver enzyme panel (ALT, AST, GGT, CHE, APH, LDH..).

pamojja

..but I'm really unsure as to whether the GP will refer me back for tests.

Yeah, my GP looking at my lab results also often exclaimed, I'm perfectly healthy again! I just insisted on the most rudimentary biannually, and bargained hard for some of the more rarer lab-test. Because I do know I do not feel healthy, and there must be measurable reasons. At time I do pay for lab-test out of my pocket too..

Should this be something a GP should have a handle on ie if results of a patient known to them with slight liver issues come back higher than normal that they ask for repeat tests at regular intervals or do I have to chase this up? My GP has been ok but I sensed the last time I saw him (8 months ago about leg tremors, painful muscles and sinus trouble) he didn't look impressed with my list of symptoms (which I have to write down otherwise I forget what to say to him) and just put everything down to CFS.

pamojja

That's the problem with the diagnosis of ME/CFS, just blamed for everything where nothing can't be done.

It always depends on your GP. But realistically, my GP has about 5 minutes for each consultation with me, and if I don't know what I want from him to do, he will neither in such a short time.

Because I do know I do not feel healthy, and there must be measurable reasons.

That is exactly how I feel - I know I'm not well, I don't feel healthy and there has to be something causing all the symptoms I have, all which fluctuate and some worse than others.

Update: been to the doctor this morning following problems with the waterworks. No infection so had some blood tests to see if any problems with kidneys. No kidney problems but liver tests have come back even worse than three years ago. Bilirubin very high and something else beginning with a A......can’t remember now! Anyway, going for a liver and bladder scan and a blood test to see if I’m likely to get liver cirrhosis in the near future. Apparently it’s a new blood test?? Previous scan showed non-alcoholic fatty liver so doc is concerned it’s now moved onto the next stage.