• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

URGENT MESSAGE FOR UK ME PEOPLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Countrygirl

I have just received a phone call from a friend to say tomorrow's Radio 4's You and Yours programme wants people with ME to phone in to tell them about the success they have experienced with NHS treatments for ME. I understand it is following the decision to revise the NICE guidelines so they are hoping to hear from people who have experienced CBT/GET.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b095ptl7

I know of no other details at the moment.

Edited to say that the recording of today's programme where we can hear what was actually stated will be available any time now.

Last edited:

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?

andyguitar

Hmm lets hope the BBC dont try to select callers who offer only praise for the NHS. In my opinion the NHS and various Gov departments decided many years ago that the symptoms are in the mind. As a result they have simply left hundreds of thousands of very ill people to rot. There should be a public enquiry into the systematic and habitual abuse of sufferers by the NHS, local and district councils, the DWP and some sections of the media.

Countrygirl

CBT is a scam, says a psychologist. If would be great if a psychologist would speak up tomorrow on Radio 4.

(Does anyone possess a tame one who is aware that PACE promotes nonsense? :D

We do have a clinical psychologist here with ME, who leads one of our groups, although she works, so will probably not be available to ring in.)

This article from the Daily Mail is from 2014.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-term-solution-says-leading-psychologist.html

It is an article which reports the views of a psychologist on the the effectiveness of CBT for mental health conditions..

He says:

But Mr James says research shows CBT is no more effective than placebo in treating anxiety or depression

He says proponents have ‘mis-sold’ the treatment to policymakers and the public, who are wasting their time.

CBT appeals to politicians and NICE because it is quick and cheap.

‘The therapies proven to work long-term, such as psychodynamic therapy, would not be so cheap because they require more sessions’ he said.

But, he added: ‘Working as a psychotherapist, I rarely encounter patients who haven’t been subjected to CBT, which failed to help them.’

The British Association for Behavioural & Cognitive Psychotherapies was unavailable for comment.

One of the comments by another psychologist says:

Totally agree with Mr James article, as a psychotherapist over 80% of my clients have been in CBT therapy for over 15 years... plain and simply CBT does not work.. Firstly you must have an understanding of how YOUR mind works unconsciously/consciously, secondly you can talk all you want but if you have a body that is nutritional deficient your clients will never come out from beneath that cloud and they will stay on the CBT merry go round thinking all along that there is something wrong with them.. You must treat both mind and body at the same time and if you can't send them to someone that can..

slysaint

Oh, oh.......chronic fatigue (sigh).

We really need to hear from people with ME and not "fatigue".

Yes; they messed this up on another phone-in.

Also they should also be aware that a lot of the NHS treatment is based at fatigue clinics and therefore not necessarily only treating people with M.E. So they are likely to get responses from these people.

I hope CS will put them straight on this.

Jenny

I was a psychologist before I had to take early retirement because of worsening ME. I'm going to email them - any comments before I send this:

Having suffered from ME for 35 years, I am delighted that NICE are going to review their guidelines on this condition.These guidelines wrongly state that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy and Graded Exercise Therapy are effective treatments.

Before I had to retire from my career as a psychologist due to my worsening health, I used Cognitive Behaviour Therapy as a treatment for psychological disorders and trained others in its use. It can be helpful for mild depression and for 'fatigue' arising from other conditions but it is useless in the treatment of ME.

Graded Exercise Therapy is worse than useless. Many ME patients have been permanently damaged by being forced to exercise.

It is imperative that the NICE guidelines are changed so that the NHS stops wasting money on ineffective and dangerous treatments and acknowledges the severe, often life-long disability that this illness causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.