• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

I have got the diagnosis CFS, but..

..I am fully recovered right now!!!
It was a psychologically problem. Last year from February on I stayed 4 months in bed. I can´t went to toilet, I can´t bare light and noises, I can't moved out from bed. I was in a very bad state. I had very bad physically problems.
Then I went to hospital in the psychiatry. The first days were very hard for me. But they gave me lorazepam, so I could bear better light and noises. My new diagnosis was a strong depression with psychosis. And this diagnosis was the right one. They treated me with seroquel and cymbalta.
Now I am fully recovered. I am able to go to work again, I am able to travel again and I am very grateful for that.
Before you loose your hope, try to find a good doc, who could say if it is really CFS or NOT. I have got the diagnosis CFS from the immunological institute, but it wasn´t correct.

I wish all of you health from the bottom of my heart.

Cornelia

Wonkmonk

Feels so good to hear you recovered and there is hope for recovery at least for some patients.

I once read in an article that one thing that possibly distinguishes CFS patients from patients with depression is that if you ask them the question "If I gave you a miracle cure and you'd get totally healthy tomorrow, what would you do?", then the CFS patients immediately come out with a lot of plans for restarting their job, leisure activity etc., while the depression patients don't really know what they would do and aren't even really enthusiastic about getting healthy again.

Is that something you can confirm for your case?

Ambrosia_angel

Wow that's great :thumbsup: thank you for sharing your story

I'm curious about the immunological institute that made the misdiagnosis. Sounds very bad that they missed your psychosis and depression. It shouldn't be so hard to miss.
Did the psychosis become prevalent later on or initially?

Wishing you all the best for the future :)

NelliePledge

seems like a lot of people get misdiagnosed
I agree your Drs should have been able to get this right at the start if they had done their job properly

best wishes

*GG*

..I am fully recovered right now!!!

It was a psychologically problem. Last year from February on I stayed 4 months in bed. I can´t went to toilet, I can´t bare light and noises, I can't moved out from bed. I was in a very bad state. I had very bad physically problems.
Then I went to hospital in the psychiatry.

The first days were very hard for me. But they gave me lorazepam, so I could bear better light and noises. My new diagnosis was a strong depression with psychosis. And this diagnosis was the right one. They treated me with seroquel and cymbalta.

Now I am fully recovered. I am able to go to work again, I am able to travel again and I am very grateful for that.

Before you loose your hope, try to find a good doc, who could say if it is really CFS or NOT. I have got the diagnosis CFS from the immunological institute, but it wasn´t correct.

I wish all of you health from the bottom of my heart.

Cornelia

So are you saying we all have psychological issues and just need antidepressants? What were your "physically problems"?

GG

Thank you @mirijam, it takes a lot to get through all that ...and then remember to come back and post this for us.

Diagnosis is a very difficult thing and it takes time and care to check and recheck. I am so happy for you that you found something treatable! I think on some level that's what we all dream of.

My path was the opposite: I was convinced I must be getting more and more depressed and anxious (because I thought if you can't test positive for something that must be what it is). Depression is awful and then psychosis on top of it can seem unbearable. I've known a few people who've been through that, triggered by illness and enormous strain. So when I say that unfortunately I don't have depression, I do know that that is not a small thing. There is no such thing as "just depression" when it's moderate to severe.

It'll still be a long road for you so I hope you have plenty of support, and love, on your way with it. Remember what you hopefully learned here: to be kind to yourself. Look after your body. And to ask for help when you need it.

Oh, and enjoy your exercise! I'll be thinking of you out in the world on a sunny autumn day (assuming you're on that hemisphere), breathing the fresh air and feeling your body enjoying a bit of movement. I remember that it feels a bit rough for the first 5-15min and then you start to feel good. Revel in it. I'm so very happy for you.

*GG*

No if you look towards the end of her message she was saying that it's possible some are misdiagnosed as she was.

Well, she did not use the word Misdiagnosed, but I guess that is what she was getting at. I had another question not answered, on "physically problems". I realize that English is probably not her 1st language, so know its not easy!

People get more than 1 diagnosis. Would have helped if she said she realizes she Never had ME/CFIDS in the 1st place. Sorry, was trying to understand what she was trying to convey :)

I know some will jump down her throat if she says ME/CFS is "cured" by anti-depressants, since that is common folk lore in the medical community! So wanted her to be clearer with her language.

GG

notmyself

i wonder how can someone be 100% sure they have ME/CFS and not something else,when there is no test for this bloody thing...it feels more like is a matter of opinion, personal or medical..but nothing is 100% sure..

i wonder how can someone be 100% sure they have ME/CFS and not something else,when there is no test for this bloody thing...it feels more like is a matter of opinion, personal or medical..but nothing is 100% sure..
100% certainty won't happen until there's a biomarker. And even then, there will probably be borderline cases. But confusing ME/CFS with a psychiatric condition only happens when the doctor is extremely incompetent.

@mirijam, if you find things get bad again, come back here and tell us. There is just a little part of me that is unsettled by the "depression and psychosis" diagnosis. I think its mainly the psychosis part that worries me. You want to be sure they're diagnosing you correctly (that is, not based on you physical symptoms but on proper diagnostic. criteria), because the medications they give for that are nasty.

There are some other members from Austria here, and they say there's not much recognition of MECFS there. Many patients end up with a psychiatric diagnosis, and some have been given very strong antipsychotics, when they really had no signs of psychosis.

If all goes well, then disregard this post. But if things get bad again, you might need a second opinion.

This illness does have high periods and low periods, so it could be that you just happen to be going through a high period now (I hope not!).