• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NHS MUS Page to be archived

I wrote to complain about ME being covered on the NHS MUS Page.
You can see the latest reply from them..very interesting if true...they say MUS page likely to be archived soon. I've asked for an explanation why and if it's to be replaced with something else.

Will post the reply if and when I get It.

Attachments

• IMG-20170922-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20170922-WA0000.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 79

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
"There is a possibility that Khaly drops two unique objects, the Dark Look of Khaly..."???

NelliePledge

I wrote to complain about ME being covered on the NHS MUS Page.
You can see the latest reply from them..very interesting if true...they say MUS page likely to be archived soon. I've asked for an explanation why and if it's to be replaced with something else.

Will post the reply if and when I get It.
Nice one T lets hope it isnt just another renaming

mermaid

@TeresaBCN thank you for writing to the NHS about this. I just looked at the NHS page here http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/medically-unexplained-symptoms/Pages/Somatisation.aspx

I see this on the page 'Your GP will aim to rule out all the possible conditions that might be causing your symptoms. You may have a thorough physical examination and blood tests.' When I was diagnosed with ME/CFS many years ago, my GP did no blood tests on me. She sent me off to the CFS unit on my request, and despite seeing an immunologist who diagnosed me, no one there did any tests on me either. It was only many years later when I saw a private Dr that I began to have tests done at my request and began to see immunological abnormalities. (I had previously been diagnosed with underactive thyroid but no one linked that in with the CFS either, or the fact that my FT3 was low, and it was down to me that got chased up also).

I have improved my functioning pretty well entirely by my own hands.....admittedly reducing stress has been one factor in reducing symptoms but not the only one by any means, and of course we know that the DWP are happy to increase the stress levels of everyone thus making their conditions worse.

It's quite interesting to look at the Clinical Trials pages on there to see what they are following up - psychological of course as far as I can see and 5 in the UK, although one is trialling acupuncture to see if it helps. On that trial page it says this 'Medically unexplained symptoms are closely related to somatisation which are a set of any symptoms that have no organic explanation'. Surely that should say 'no KNOWN organic explanation'.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
If it is the case that the editors of NHS Choices are considering archiving the MUS article because they intend to replace the current article with revised content or with a replacement term, the following may be potential replacement terms:

Somatic symptom disorder (SSD):

For the American Psychiatric Association's DSM-5, the DSM-IV Somatoform disorders were replaced by Somatic symptom disorder. SSD has specific criteria that are the intellectual property of the APA.

The DSM-5 is not used in the UK as much as ICD-10 and not used much in primary care, which currently uses ICD-10 and Read CTV3 codes.

Bodily distress disorder (BDD)
:

For the forthcoming ICD-11, which will eventually replace ICD-10, BDD (as defined by ICD-11) replaces the ICD-10 Somatoform disorders.

The (undefined) term "Bodily distress disorder" was also added to the July 2017 release of the International Edition of SNOMED-CT.

The term "BDD" will be incorporated into all the various country extensions for SNOMED CT, including the UK extension, when the next release is issued in October. BDD has already been added to the US SNOMED CT extension.

Persistent Physical Symptoms (PPS)
:

This term is seen increasingly in English NHS service provision. It included "MUS" but PPS service provision also extends to include Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and in some services, "Functional neurological disorders (FND)".

So it's possible that rather than remove the article on MUS altogether, NHS Choices may be intending to revise the article but use one of the terms above.

See this thread for information on MUS, PPS etc within the UK NHS:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...hs-primary-care-whats-happening-across-the-uk

MUS, PPS services and integration into NHS primary care - what's happening across the UK?

Last edited: