• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Always hungry and high triglycerides

jason30

Hi all,

A recent blood test showed high triglycerides.
One of the causes of high triglycerides is eating more calories then you burn. Well, that's me! I am always hungry and eating a lot, and since I have a IT job I sit 8 hours a day. I'm thin and I can eat what I want, my weight does not go up.
I eat 8 times a day small portions.

I wonder if someone else is facing this as well and/or have tips to beat this always hungry feeling?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

wonderoushope

I have had issues with eating, and eating and not getting full. I don't have that problem with not putting on weight though (wish I did). For me, it comes in waves and lasts for about 4-7 days. It's constant hunger, where large meals don't fill me up in the slightest, despite having lots of protein in the meals.

I can't say what exactly causes it, but I have a rough idea of a few things that cause it for me and what I think has helped.

For me it could be any of the following:
- Gastritis (I get flare-ups of it). I have noticed sometimes before the hunger bouts, I get actually really full quickly with just a few spoons of a meal

- Fatigue catching up with me and cortisol levels (although I am not sure if that is really the issue, as I don't sleep well still and haven't had an issue for a good few months)

- Blood sugar going to low. The last bout started after I nearly fainted from over-exhaustion on a small walk, I bent down to look at something and then barely could get home. After I got home, I stuffed my face with food like someone crazy and then almost passed out on my bed with huge fatigue. After that, for about a week my appetite went crazy

- Hormones

- Food Intolerances. I am on a RPAH food intolerance diet since on the diet I have barely had an episode. Food intolerances could potentially make my appetite go crazy.

What could be helping? My dietician is not quite sure what is causing my appetite to go crazy at times, but at the times thought my hormones were going out of whack. She suggested I eat low- GI foods, throughout the day and eat meals every few hours (suggested this is best with those with fatigue issues). I have switched my breakfast lunch and dinner to low- GI and well since that suggestion, I have not had the hunger issue appear. I am also basically on a low chemical diet and so this would help with not putting a strain on my body. I have discovered through the diet that I have issues with wheat, amines, and glutamates. Amines consumption was roughly around the time my appetite went crazy, so when I retest I will see if a similar pattern occurs.

I also cut out caffeine, and think that makes a big difference.

I don't know much about high triglycerides I'm afraid. Hopefully, others can help.

Last edited:

Orla

Do you eat a lot of refined carbs (whole-food carbs are different)? For example sugar, white bread, white pasta? That could have a negative effect. As a general rule, the more processed the more likely it is to cause problems.

Some people also need to limit fruit to 2 a day or so (and no dried fruit). And some people have a problem with white potato.

This is people in general I am talking about, not people with ME. I wouldn't encourage an increase in fat, especially saturated fat, as most likely it will do more harm than good.

You might have some trigger foods though so might need to experiment.

Diet has a big effect on health. Personally I feel healthier in general and with the cfs if I eat lots of good fat adequate protein and as many veggies as I can get down. eating to many carbs make me feel sicker and less healthy as a whole especial simple carbs like white rice potatos and suger. When i am being bad about my diet and am eating too many carbs i get constant hunger and cravings and will snack all day and have to exert willpower to stop myself from eating before bed. But when I eat an avocado for breakfast I feel fine till lunch. I would monitor what you eat and see what makes you feel best. For me it took years to figure out my most functional diet and I am still finding things out and improving. Best of luck @jason30

ghosalb

I would agree with everything Offset Entity saying above....constant hunger comes from lack of nutrients in your body...try to eat lot of leafy vegetable which are loaded with nutrients...simple things like lime/lemon juice or herbs like cilantro are loaded with nutrients...you can add these to some "junk" food to get pleasure and nutrients...sugar and carbs must be avoided as much as possible to lower triglycerides (your doctor probably told you this already)...good luck

jason30

I have had issues with eating, and eating and not getting full. I don't have that problem with not putting on weight though (wish I did). For me, it comes in waves and lasts for about 4-7 days. It's constant hunger, where large meals don't fill me up in the slightest, despite having lots of protein in the meals.

I can't say what exactly causes it, but I have a rough idea of a few things that cause it for me and what I think has helped.

For me it could be any of the following:
- Gastritis (I get flare-ups of it). I have noticed sometimes before the hunger bouts, I get actually really full quickly with just a few spoons of a meal

- Fatigue catching up with me and cortisol levels (although I am not sure if that is really the issue, as I don't sleep well still and haven't had an issue for a good few months)

- Blood sugar going to low. The last bout started after I nearly fainted from over-exhaustion on a small walk, I bent down to look at something and then barely could get home. After I got home, I stuffed my face with food like someone crazy and then almost passed out on my bed with huge fatigue. After that, for about a week my appetite went crazy

- Hormones

- Food Intolerances. I am on a RPAH food intolerance diet since on the diet I have barely had an episode. Food intolerances could potentially make my appetite go crazy.

What could be helping? My dietician is not quite sure what is causing my appetite to go crazy at times, but at the times thought my hormones were going out of whack. She suggested I eat low- GI foods, throughout the day and eat meals every few hours (suggested this is best with those with fatigue issues). I have switched my breakfast lunch and dinner to low- GI and well since that suggestion, I have not had the hunger issue appear. I am also basically on a low chemical diet and so this would help with not putting a strain on my body. I have discovered through the diet that I have issues with wheat, amines, and glutamates. Amines consumption was roughly around the time my appetite went crazy, so when I retest I will see if a similar pattern occurs.

I also cut out caffeine, and think that makes a big difference.

I don't know much about high triglycerides I'm afraid. Hopefully, others can help.

Thanks a lot for your reaction, it really helps me. I also have low blood sugar sometimes and that affects my appetite a lot as well.
I am searching for alternatives for coffee, I love coffee and I need it in the morning to start-up. I drink 2 cups coffee a day, which is not really much but I am trying to stop with it since it's not good for the liver.

jason30

You´re probably eating too much carbs, that´s why your triglycerides level is high.
eat less carbs, more protein, VEGETABLES and good fats, and you wil improve
good fats: avocado, eggs, olive oil, butter, fish oil, animal fat(SATURATED)

Yes I eat too much carbs, this is since I have problems with digesting fats. I react badly to avocado and other foods with a lot of (good) fats, what I really regret. I react to eggs as well but that's because the histamine I think.
I have soon an appointment with a dietician to lower my carbs intake.

jason30

Do you eat a lot of refined carbs (whole-food carbs are different)? For example sugar, white bread, white pasta? That could have a negative effect. As a general rule, the more processed the more likely it is to cause problems.

Some people also need to limit fruit to 2 a day or so (and no dried fruit). And some people have a problem with white potato.

This is people in general I am talking about, not people with ME. I wouldn't encourage an increase in fat, especially saturated fat, as most likely it will do more harm than good.

You might have some trigger foods though so might need to experiment.

I have to figure it out yet what are the trigger foods are. Sometimes symptoms comes after 1 or 2 days. I have soon an appointment with a dietician to lower my carbs intake.

jason30

Diet has a big effect on health. Personally I feel healthier in general and with the cfs if I eat lots of good fat adequate protein and as many veggies as I can get down. eating to many carbs make me feel sicker and less healthy as a whole especial simple carbs like white rice potatos and suger. When i am being bad about my diet and am eating too many carbs i get constant hunger and cravings and will snack all day and have to exert willpower to stop myself from eating before bed. But when I eat an avocado for breakfast I feel fine till lunch. I would monitor what you eat and see what makes you feel best. For me it took years to figure out my most functional diet and I am still finding things out and improving. Best of luck @jason30

Thanks. And I have that as well with carbs but I find it difficult to find alternatives. I have soon an appointment with a dietician to lower my carbs intake.

jason30

I would agree with everything Offset Entity saying above....constant hunger comes from lack of nutrients in your body...try to eat lot of leafy vegetable which are loaded with nutrients...simple things like lime/lemon juice or herbs like cilantro are loaded with nutrients...you can add these to some "junk" food to get pleasure and nutrients...sugar and carbs must be avoided as much as possible to lower triglycerides (your doctor probably told you this already)...good luck

Thanks! I love vegetables but I find it hard to get a high intake in combination with my work. This severe fatigue causes me to choose for the fast things unfortunately. I am gonna work less to give me some energy for cooking.

Mij

Thanks a lot for your reaction, it really helps me. I also have low blood sugar sometimes and that affects my appetite a lot as well.
I am searching for alternatives for coffee, I love coffee and I need it in the morning to start-up. I drink 2 cups coffee a day, which is not really much but I am trying to stop with it since it's not good for the liver.

Look into Dandy Blend Instant Dandelion beverage. Tastes like coffee.

I got a coffee alternative. Yerba matte, green tea or matcha tea if you need the caffeine replacement. If we are just talking flavor try chicory root tea chicory root doesn't have caffeine but it tastes and looks like coffee. tastes great with some nut milk and a little palm suger.

Tunguska

I have a similar routine.

The best "natural" substance (since this is what people want I guess) for satiety are certain amino acids: lysine, taurine, arginine, tryptophan, BCAA, glycine. Some of these have conflicting info.

I use several grams lysine + taurine daily (with caffeine and carbs all day, but for me the caffeine contributes to satiety) and never hungry unless go far below daily protein, and will probably add in arginine again in awhile. I think they're effective enough that I take them for granted. Sometimes isolated aminos work better than whole protein presumably because of absorption and/or gut-triggered hormones, but enough whole protein also needed.

jason30

I got a coffee alternative. Yerba matte, green tea or matcha tea if you need the caffeine replacement. If we are just talking flavor try chicory root tea chicory root doesn't have caffeine but it tastes and looks like coffee. tastes great with some nut milk and a little palm suger.

Thanks for the tips!
Yerba matta does contain a lot of caffeine?
Will check matcha tea.

I have tried chicory root but I didn't liked it.

jason30

I have a similar routine.

The best "natural" substance (since this is what people want I guess) for satiety are certain amino acids: lysine, taurine, arginine, tryptophan, BCAA, glycine. Some of these have conflicting info.

I use several grams lysine + taurine daily (with caffeine and carbs all day, but for me the caffeine contributes to satiety) and never hungry unless go far below daily protein, and will probably add in arginine again in awhile. I think they're effective enough that I take them for granted. Sometimes isolated aminos work better than whole protein presumably because of absorption and/or gut-triggered hormones, but enough whole protein also needed.

Great that those amino acids works for you. I keep my daily protein in check, lately I am raising my proteins to see what it does.
I take taurine and glycine sometimes, but these amino acids do not contribute to my hungry feeling.