• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

I have very fine hair which has thinned very drastically in the last few years. I live in an area where the water is very hard and my hair used to get quite 'claggy' (greasy and that sort of yeast growth) - had to wash every other day!. I have found that cutting out the conditioner and pouring an 'acid' rinse over my hair after I have finished shampooing and rinsing, has made the most astonishing difference!

The 'acid' rinse is a desertspoon of lemon juice or vinegar in a litre of (Brita) filtered water. Now it is glossy, shiny, has more volume and I can easily get by with washing every third day if I don't have the energy.

Mij

I would love to find a solution to 'calm' the hair itch when I'm unable to wash my hair after 4 days. Something that doesn't require using water or need any type of shower rinsing activity.

My sleep is worse when my hair needs washing, the itch/oil discomfort leaves me feeling very uncomfortable.

ladycatlover

Another suggestion for everyone - a wig if you are too fatigued to do your hair.

Sometimes I just don't even have the tnergy to shower, but my hair is super fine and gets really greasy if I don't wash it every other day. I'm seriously thinking of getting some kind of wig that's as close to my regular hair as possible.

Beany hats are a good solution too!

I have quite a selection of hats for bad hair days. Should get husband to take photos of the whole collection! :rolleyes: But this one is about my favourite.

Maggie knitting at dovegreyreader's tent by Maggie, on Flickr

tudiemoore

i have to get you all off-topic for a minute--

I'll bet you are thinking of a Fall update for your wardrobe, aren't you?
Me too!

And I had forgotten about a perfect new addition--
How about a new pair of black pants? Slacks, trousers--your choice--

Walmart or something Walmart-like has forever or so had knit, elastic-waist pants, regular or petite priced at $8.87 (price may vary slightly, very slightly). White Stag brand...

No, they don't "hold up" because they pill when they've washed some but they work very well as that basic bottom!
A nice flat-woven knit, pockets--the trick for your best occasions is being new-ish and yes, they come in some other colors!
I'm getting some charcoal ones this week, just want to be prepared :lol: !

I've seen some other very inexpensive knits there, however, I am a fan of White Stag--:cool:

tudiemoore

ladycatlover--terrific pic!
Please model all and have husband make a album to share with us!

I adore hats--but why do some people, (you!) look ,so-so,---
like they belong on your head! Part of your whole look?
I could see you in any number of styles--do they still have the "cocktail" hat? Frou-frou--just a feather and a little bit of netting? The clouche? sp?

When I wear a hat it's like, "Oh, she has something on her head!"
Awaiting pics :nerd:--
Be well, everyone--

Isaiah 58:11

I haven't read the whole thread so I apologize if someone else has said something similar.

I wear basically the same thing every day and it is the greatest, most freeing thing I could ever have imagined.

All of my panties are the same style and can be worn under any clothing. All of my bras are the same smooth, invisible style and color coordinate to my panties.

My day pants are 4 exactly the same pairs of super stretch jeans that are comfy while "active" or crashed on someone's sofa.

My shirts are all the same cut and brand but vary slightly in color and neckline. I have actually just switched to the same style but in bodysuits so I can look put together (tucked in) with no effort.

My pajamas are 4 pairs of the same pants in differing prints and four identical white cami tops.

My only purse matches the belt I wear if I have enough energy and my sandals and closed-toe shoes are #1 ridiculously comfortable and #2 the same color as my purse.

All of my hair elastics are the same color.

This probably sounds really boring, but I love it. I save so much time and energy when I don't have to think about what to wear and what I have enough energy to pull off and how this item can't be worn with that other.

And, the best part of all, is that people seem to recognize that I have my own "style" but no one seems to realize that I am essentially wearing the same thing every day.

leela

I would love to find a solution to 'calm' the hair itch when I'm unable to wash my hair after 4 days. Something that doesn't require using water or need any type of shower rinsing activity.

My sleep is worse when my hair needs washing, the itch/oil discomfort leaves me feeling very uncomfortable.

The solution I have found for this problem (and for the problem of having to go out when my hair is filthy) is to make my own dry shampoo.
The commercial ones all have stuff I won't use, so after experimenting a while arrowroot powder alone does the trick!
You can buy a big bag of Bobs Red Mill brand for about $4 and it will last you for years. You can add essential oil, or cinnamon or what have you, but in the end
I just like the arrowroot powder alone.

I bought a makeup powder brush, and I just dab the brush in my jar of arrowroot, (tapping off the extra,),and dab it on my scalp by making
parts every inch or so.

You *can* do too much, so less is more. After you've applied it to your satisfaction, you can brush, comb, or finger it through.

This really helps the itchy/painful scalp thing! It also makes you presentable if your hair is seriously greasy and you have to meet and greet.

I use this trick all the time, and am so very glad for it, because washing hair is just not gonna happen on the regular over here.
Sometimes it actually makes my hair nicer than when it is clean!

ladycatlover

Cheesus

A good tip for my male brethren is to wear a short and neatly trimmed beard. A sharp border between your beard and your cheek (i.e. trim the little hairs where the beard starts to peter out) can have a significant effect on your overall appearance, even though it is only a small detail.

The benefit of a beard vs clean shaven is that you only need to trim it once or twice a week, whereas you ideally would need to shave daily to maintain a neat look. I think of my beard as low-cost and low-effort make-up.

hellytheelephant

LOL! Half my hats are still at the caravan, though do have a few here still - will dig them out when have the energy. ;) Meanwhile here I am in our back garden back in 2011 wearing the hat bought specially for elder daughter's wedding.

Wearing my hat in the garden by Maggie, on Flickr

Wonderful! You are one of those people who look great in hats!

ladycatlover

Persuaded John to take photo of me in my blue hat while sitting in the porch earlier. Today's a bad hair day, so this hat covers a multitude of mess! :rofl:

21761906_1754135538040565_7611362929314399337_n.jpg

leela

Thank you, @leela Glad you found something that works. I'm familiar with arrowroot. What about the odour? Does it help with that too? I've got a few essential oils I can play with but like you I think I just want 'clean'.

Can't wait to try it!
Yes, Mij, it does address the smell :star:
I do have a jar that has a few drops of [essential oil of your choice] in it for the detoxier days, but otherwise I really like just the plain arrowroot.

Since it's white it can take awhile to absorb in fully, but brushing helps that, or doing it the night before (if you remember), or just waiting an hour or so.
I also take a damp washcloth around the scalpline after, in case there's white behind my ear or whatnot :)