• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Probiotic advice please

Kes

The last couple of years have become increasingly sensitive to supplements even things like Vitamin D which used to be fine taking. I now don't take anything. Could anyone recommend some probiotics that tend to be best tolerated please? I'm Male. I'm thinking single strain is the best way to go?

Learner1

Try sublingual, transdermal, injectible, or IV supplements. If you've got a gut problem, you probably have malabsorption issues, making your problems worse.

Can you get any amino acids down? Glutamine is given to cancer patients to help rebuild the gut lining from from the harshness of chemo - 5-15g a day is suggested. Glycine can be very helpful, too. There's also Great Lakes bovine gelatin powder which has a good mix of aminos that's pretty easy to get down.

Next you could try probiotics, like Thorne Fiber Mend and Seeking Health GOS (galactoligosaccharides) powder.

Thorne PermaClear might be a good start for probiotics. It contains glutamine to rebuild, quercetin and ginger to soothe your intestines and a couple of easier strains.

Then, there's HLC/Pharmax human strain probiotics which is good.

Then Xymogen ProBioMax 30DF, then 100 as you can tolerate it.

I rebuilt my gut after chemotherapy with the above.

Later, you could look into other strains, like Prescript Assist.

Best of luck...

Timaca

I think probiotics and tolerating them (or not) is very individual. I have found, for me, that buying the capsule kind and *unscrewing* them and putting the contents in a small plastic travel container, and taking a small amount works best. One capsule can last me a week or longer!!

The two that I am currently taking this way and I take a small amount of each one daily, dissolved in some room temperature water are: NOW brand Clinical GI probiotic and Renew Life Ultimate Flora Adult 50+. These probiotics are mainly Bifido strains which seems to work better for me.

Wishing you luck,

Timaca

Another thing you can try is just a tablespoon of kefir a day, increasing as tolerated. The same can be said for yogurt, fermented vegetables and other live fermented food products.....

Thorne FloraMend Prime! Same strains in Kyodophilus. I find the Bifidos are helpful!

I take daily and supplement with weekly probiotic enemas.

JaimeS

I can't do Kefir or other probiotics that enter the body before the changeover from small to large intestine. I get neuro symptoms from those. I agree if you reduce the ones by mouth enough, the neuro symptoms are less, but then you also get less of the positive effects down the line.

lafarfelue

Hey, I also have some real sensitivity to probiotics. I use Dr Ohirra's, which are enteric coated and don't enter digestion too early for me -- no side effects from them, and my side effects from other probiotics are pretty profound.
Thanks for replying to this thread. I've just started on trying to fix my gut and remembered you mentioning this before, but couldn't find your post about it again (ahh, brainfog). I read up about this earlier and I hope to be able to find this in Australia.

I would actually recommend you DON'T take them. Read the two pages of comments before going forward:
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...nvasive-infection-antibiotic-resistance.7691/

I also get very ill on them, even a few days of yogurt causes over-population REQUIRING antibiotics to kill them back off, and probiotics once caused me an extremely frightening case of SIRS (similar to sepsis).

Vitamin D makes me ill, too. I think most people with that reaction here eventually find they had a lot of CBS, VDR, COMT, MTHFR, etc. polymorphisms. The company 23andMe can give you that info as part of their health analysis if you have the money.

In lieu of the usual quick fixes, to heal my gut I really focused on food as medicine. Dropped grains (includes gluten), dairy, soy. Eventually coffee but that came later. Massive difference. Pain dropped in half the first week. Something to think about, for those of us exceptionally sensitive to things. Good luck!