• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

German study finds xmrv

leaves

danny Yes that is true, as sone other posters mentioned; hiv is also in saliva etc yet its not transmissable that way
@ belcanto: yes i see, still this is not a controlled/ exogeneous selection: it's possible that xmrv+ have more chance of needing a transplant or that they are infected through the transplant

Impish

Just because your immune system is repressed doesn't mean that it doesn't work. The exposure rate would have to be way north of 10% I would think.

bullybeef

There are 3 parts to this research that are going to change the complete picture:

Like what’s already been mentioned,

1- what methods they used? WPI or their own?

2- Does this settle the argument that XMRV has been in Europe for at the very least 4 years:

During 2006–2009, the 267 samples were collected from 3 groups of patients

Where are these patients from?

3 - Finally and more importantly, mode of transmission. Dr. Cheney said way back in October that XMRV would be found in saliva and may prove to be the most infectious retrovirus known to man.

I look at it this way: Some of my worst symptoms are migraines, sickness/vomiting, and gastrointestinal problems. Obviously, I do have extreme stiffness, but I am 37. Most people suffer from these problems everyday too, and don't have any diagnosis. Some have may have a diagnosis that are irrespective of ME/CFS, even though it may simple be XMRV.

There could quite understandably be millions affected, that don't have a clue. We understand that ME does effect everyone differently. Some people can work, some can only manage a home life, some are housebound, and some are bed bound, mute, and need 24 hour care. Now change ME to XMRV, and it may begin to make sense. #

XMRV may treat everyone differently, and we may all be affected!!!!

shannah

"Yes that is true, as sone other posters mentioned; hiv is also in saliva etc yet its not transmissable that way"

I remember one presentation that stated that HIV is unstable (therefore doesn't survive well out of the host) whereas XMRV is very stable so I think this might be an important consideration.

subtr4ct

This seems to have really good implications for, at the very least, confirming (or rejecting) an association between XMRV and CFS. Ignorring the technical details (culture vs. no culture, PCR primers, etc.), the method they used to successfully detect XMRV did not involve blood samples at all. They collected sputum, throat swabs, etc. So this method should be easy (I think, how does one collect a "bronchoalveolar lavage" sample?) to apply to a well-selected, adequately large, CCC-CFS cohort, and there you go. The WPI do not a have a irreproducible magic method that allows only them to find XMRV. Bingo.

bel canto

this study has GOT to be generating a lot of attention out in the research arena - hopefully, it will stimulate some more funding

anciendaze

This is great news, in the sense that it should put to rest questions about competence at WPI. It is not so great if it opens the question of transmission by casual contact. My inexpert opinion is that this does not show airborne transmission happens very often, if at all.

My reasons are that the viral load is very low, and I'm guessing a high-percentage of the population has natural immunity. When they talk about samples collected by bronchoalvealar lavage (BAL) they are talking about a procedure which picks up all kinds of things which generally don't come out otherwise. The apparent stability of virus particles is a point on the other side of the argument.

I once cared for a patient (my mother) at home when she had a serious infection in her lungs. When she was hospitalized, she was placed in quarantine. Despite my long contact, and unambiguous results from laboratory tests about the infection she carried, I was not infected.

The teachers you mention certainly did not have to have sexual relations or IV drug use to become infected. A first-grade teacher, who I believe has CFS/ME, would be an example. She has regular contact with things we tend not to mention in general conversation: sputum, vomit, blood, feces. I would be interested in the ages of students those infected teachers dealt with.

MEKoan

Wow--good news! And finding 2-3% of controls positive accords with other studies, both in the US and Japan.

The accordance, at such a low percentage, is very good news for us.

(Well, it's very good news after a fashion.)

Peace out,
Koan

Nina

Wow, so many questions arising from this.

The other day someone mentioned that Dr. Meirleir was now stating that genetic predisposition was the cause of CFS and XMRV might act as a trigger. This makes the most sense to me.

One of the authors of this paper is from the Robert Koch Institute, too. I wonder what implications this has for the Banner team that just announced that they found no XMRV in CFS patients at the Prague conference.

B

bluebell

Are the authors of the negative studies going to accuse the Germans of contamination or other sloppiness? And then get in their precision BMWs to drive home? I have never uttered the words "in your face" before. But, you know, in your FACE. I am certain my whole family is infected already, but I worry about the kids in my son's kindergarten...

I had a feeling the CDC study was delayed because the gov't is, like, ZOMG, what are we going to do - this looks like evidence that I may be right.