• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What gives you joy every day?

Skycloud

Your thread's given me joy today @Azriel, thank you :)

Err..... Mrs S .....

Apparently @Skycloud's husband is tall and slim and generous when dishing up grub.....

Have a look on the weight thread......

Oh dear.....
:rofl::rofl:

Ok - what gives me joy.. I'll mention one for now.

I get a lot of pleasure from where I live, on a hillside in an upland part of the UK, with fields and sky and my garden that I see from my windows. I have binoculars and see a lot of animals and birds; some visit the garden. I saw a peregrine falcon on my neighbour's hedge last week. I think it was after the bumper crop of sparrow fledglings.

Mij

I did the unthinkable yesterday . . . :nervous:

Attachments

• cupcakes.jpg
    cupcakes.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 26

JohnCB

Immoderate
...is it wrong to have stool envy? .....I don't care what it looks like and I may not choose the same colour, but yours looks perfect size and height ...my problem is Mrs sloth doesn't like me hogging the sofa in the kitchen and won't decamp to the living room of an evening where we can both chill out coz she likes "being in the kitchen" I've come to the conclusion that a foot stool might be just the thing....just can't find the right dimensions. Can I ask where you got it?

I regard a footstool as essential. Height is pretty critical and surface size is important for good support. I did have a "proper" footstool, but currently I am using an occasional table, the middle one from a stacking set of 3 is just the right height once it has a cushion on it. Actually having a separate cushion is often handy as it will slide on the wood until I am comfortable. On the other hand it sometimes slides off.

The cat likes it too, but sometimes she decides to leave in a hurry, maybe she has heard something outside. Then the cushion shoots of backwards and the cat doesn't get quite as far as she expected.

The cat, keeping on topic, is obviously one of my joys, as are my daughter's visits and phone calls.

PR gives me pleasure too but can be very frustrating when I cannot keep up.

Otherwise I look forward to getting into bed at the end of the day and just stopping.

Edited: I have just read this back and my typing was absolute rubbish. Duh. The first paragraph should make more sense now.

Last edited:

TigerLilea

Otherwise I look forward to getting into bed at the end of the day and just stopping.
I used to get great joy out of going to bed at the end of the day and settling under my pile of cozy blankets and comforters and having a read before shutting out the lights and going into dreamland. However, since mentalpause hit, it just isn't the same anymore. I no longer have the ability to remember my dreams and my body thermostat seems to be permanently stuck on "hot hot hot". :cry:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
The #1 thing that brings me joy every day is my beautiful, funny and very mischievous ferrets. They are so entertaining and always make me laugh every day. I should not have them really, as they exhaust me so much, but I could not be without them :heart:

Oh, what are their names? And I'd love to see photos if you have them.

My brother used to have ferrets. He got a male named Rikki (after Rikki-tikki-tavi, yes, I know that was a mongoose not a ferret). And then he got a female and called her Lucy (you know, Ricky and Lucy).

What was funny was that Rikki was so much smarter. As pet owners know, there is a huge range of intelligence and personality differences within the same species. Rikki used to trick Lucy into various situations. The stories my brother told were so funny. I wish I could remember more of them.

Last edited:

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
I love reading through all the lists of what brings people joy!

What brings me joy? So much depends on the day, time, and situation! But here are some thoughts.

I enjoy interactions with friends when I am well enough to want company. I'm not 100% housebound so with planning and resting I can go out with friends for lunch.

I only do this with close friends who understand if I have to cancel. And only in small groups. It's usually just 2 of us, but 4 or 5 at the most. Large groups are too exhausting.

A few more:

* Iced coffee in the summertime. Luckily, caffeine does not bother me.

* A short walk, in the crisp fall weather, on a good day. (Boy, do I miss long hikes in the gorge)

* Doing something nice for a friend. Or for a stranger, for that matter! When it feels like all I do is take then it's so nice when I can help someone else.

My number one source of joy is my husband. :heart:

I'm very lucky that he has stayed with me, and provided unconditional love and support, from the very start of this illness.

Wonko

I'm a miserable git so joy every day is pushing it.

On the rare occasions I am outside at that time - dusk. No idea what it is about it, I just like it. It's much better than, say, dawn.

My cat also gives me some pleasure, by continuing to exist, despite my total incompetence at even simple tasks like stroking her (according to her), my total inability to figure out perfectly simple and reasonable requests (all of which consist of her sitting in front of me meowing, in exactly the same way, regardless of what she actually wants). Her habit of curling up beside me, then gradually moving closer, and closer, leaving me uncomfortably squashed on one end of the sofa (I've bought 2 sofas in recent years and now have a 4 seater corner unit in an attempt to get a sofa big enough for me to sit/lie on and still have enough room for the cat, either beside me, on me, at my feet, or on the corner bit, to no avail, I still end up squished, uncomfortable and in pain, sometimes for hours at a time, so as not to upset a bloody cat).

I have to laugh, if I didn't she wouldn't last long before being curried.

TigerLilea

I still end up squished, uncomfortable and in pain, sometimes for hours at a time, so as not to upset a bloody cat).

I have to laugh, if I didn't she wouldn't last long before being curried.
I have to laugh, also. Your cat sounds just like my last cat. If Jingles was nice and comfortable and I dared to move, out came her claws to let me know that she wasn't ready for me to move yet. ;):cat:

Jan

My brother used to have ferrets. He got a male named Rikki (after Rikki-tikki-tavi, yes, I know that was a mongoose not a ferret). And then he got a female and called her Lucy (you know, Ricky and Lucy).

What was funny was that Rikki was so much smarter. As pet owners know, there is a huge range of intelligence and personality differences within the same species. Rikki used to trick Lucy into various situations. The stories my brother told were so funny. I wish I could remember more of them.

I have seven of the little terrors, all from rescues or re-homed. Their names are Lily, Steve, Tommy, Frankie, Charlie, Teddy and Thumbelina. Thumbelina and Steve were named by the shelter, Steve was named after the RSPCA officer who picked him up, we tried to change his name but kept forgetting it and kept saying 'the one that was called Steve'. We eventually gave up and called him Steve. Lily was named after the owner of the rescue who took her in.

When I have more time and energy I will try to add photos, I will need to learn how to do that first though. I used to know, years ago, but like much of my knowledge, it has fallen down the hole in the middle of my brain, which I'm sure is shaped like a doughnut. (The ones with the hole in the middle, not the ones with jam)

arewenearlythereyet

I have seven of the little terrors, all from rescues or re-homed. Their names are Lily, Steve, Tommy, Frankie, Charlie, Teddy and Thumbelina. Thumbelina and Steve were named by the shelter, Steve was named after the RSPCA officer who picked him up, we tried to change his name but kept forgetting it and kept saying 'the one that was called Steve'. We eventually gave up and called him Steve. Lily was named after the owner of the rescue who took her in.

When I have more time and energy I will try to add photos, I will need to learn how to do that first though. I used to know, years ago, but like much of my knowledge, it has fallen down the hole in the middle of my brain, which I'm sure is shaped like a doughnut. (The ones with the hole in the middle, not the ones with jam)
Well I reckon you need a ferret or a ring donut as your avatar ...the ring donut may cause biscuitesque consternation throughout the forum though ...so that's definitely my favourite ;)

Jan

Rikki and Lucy sound like such characters, they are the funniest creatures with huge personalities and I'm sure they all deliberately do silly things to make us laugh every day.

Have you seen them doing their 'war dance'? It has me in stitches every day watching it, when they are really excited all their fur stands on end, their tails look like bog brushes (to coin a phrase used by ferrety folk) and they bounce upwards, sideways and backwards, bumping into objects and walls, seemingly without feeling a thing.

All done with their mouths open and with a crazy look in their eyes, they are stark raving bonkers, which is why I love them so much. Plus they even look cute when they are pooping, they reverse into the desired location whilst wiggling their bottoms, and the look of pure concentration is hysterical.